Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why no semi-autos for hunting?

There are caliber requirements while hunting. I know that a 223 can kill deer, but shot placement would be very important when using a smaller caliber. The 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel would be nice calibers for whitetail while still having a light AR15 platform. For now, if you want to use semi to hunt...go to WV where they allow it.

(Bucks County)

It is possible to hunt with an AR-15 in PA, just not a semi-auto version.

I have a friend who built an AR upper in .300 Whisper. He removed the gas tube and blocked off the port in the gas block so that the rifle will not work as a semi auto.

He has to pull back the charging handle after every shot to remove the empty and feed another round into the chamber. Essentially, it's a bolt action AR-15.

He gets stopped by the game commission every time he hunts on state game lands though. One time he got a real hassle and had a hard time explaining to the WCO that his rifle was not a semi-auto.

One of these days, when I get some money, I'm going to do the same thing to an AR-10 upper. Luckally, a friend of mine has property where I can hunt. I don't think it would be worth the hassle to hunt state game or forest land with something like that.

That sounds like a lot of work just to hunt with a 300 whisper, but to each his/her own. I wouldn't want to have to modify something to hunt two weeks in a year.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    That sounds like a lot of work just to hunt with a 300 whisper, but to each his/her own. I wouldn't want to have to modify something to hunt two weeks in a year.
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying. He probably spent more money converting it to bolt action mode than he would have if he bought a good bolt or pump action rifle and scope.

I think it might be worth it to convert a 5.56 AR-15 for hunting groundhogs.

Still, kind of expensive just to say that you hunted with an AR though.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    There are caliber requirements while hunting. I know that a 223 can kill deer, but shot placement would be very important when using a smaller caliber. The 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel would be nice calibers for whitetail while still having a light AR15 platform. For now, if you want to use semi to hunt...go to WV where they allow it.
    I got a doe this year with a .223 it was part albino (I'd post pics but they are not on my computer yet). I was using the 64g winchester psp that were for light to medium skin game, even had the deer on the side of the box. But shot placement is definately important when using this caliber, the exit hole was only the size of a nickel.

As for using a semi-auto for hunting I understand that some people could just go shoot up the woods but some hunters do that now. If they limit capacity for the semi-autos I wouldn't have a problem with it but there is really no reason why you should need more than five or six rounds.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    So again, I'll play the devils advocate here, other than the "because I want to use them", why should they be allowed?
    How about this, for many years, I didn't have the money to buy multiple firearms, and hunting is not my primary shooting sport. I bought an M1 Carbine for it's historical value, and that it's fun to shoot. I had to wait two years before I had the disposable income to get a second hand deer rifle. Now wouldn't it have been nice to have the hunting roster up by a feww peoplke who only have one rifle, adn would like to engague in the sport, but since hunters are concerned about the evil semi-auto, it's verboten to hunt with? With attitudes like this, it's a small wonder that the antis keep gaining ground on us. Remember Steve, once the Evil Rifles are gone, so goes your hunting rifle.

(Luzerne County)

No one forced you to buy the Carbine. If you planned on hunting, then you should have bought a rifle you could use for hunting.

Fishing only allows a certain number of hooks, using your logic it should be okay to use whatever you want just because you bought it.

Or, I bought an ATV and should be allowed to ride it wherever I want.

No one is saying the that semi-autos are evil, only not accepted weapons for use while hunting. I own many semi-auto rifles myself.

But other than the "I have one and want to use it" I have not heard a reason why they should be allowed, which is presumably what the PGC is doing.

(Montgomery County)

"But other than the "I have one and want to use it" I have not heard a reason why they should be allowed, which is presumably what the PGC is doing."

Give a valid reason they should NOT be allowed, and falling back on folks will shoot the hell out of the woods and everything isn't classified as valid in my book.
    the same folks that shoot the hell out of the woods now would do the same with a semi, and the wannabe punks at the game comission ranges mentioned earlier in this thread are NOT hunters, they merely use the range because its free

I've met a lot of slob hunters with bolt actions and lever guns when hunting.
    these days you can have an accurized semi auto thats every bit as, or more likely to be MORE accurate than a bolt action, or manually operated gun.

my buddy in Alaska hunts caribou with an semiauto AK every year, and fill his limit with it.
    I got a cousin in WV who says the most popular hunting rifle in his neck of the woods in an SKS...he takes whitetail every year with his.

17 states allow hunting with semiautos, all i think, have a limit on how many rounds can be carried in the weapon while hunting.

a round limit would be sufficient for me, a rapid follow up shot in case of a accidental poorly placed round would be a great option.

I personally use a bolt action to hunt with, but it would be great to hunt ground hogs with my AR15...especially when overlooking a large clover field with a target rich environment....at longer range.

not to mention a rapid followup on a zippy target like a Coyote...miss one and in an eyeblink that sucker is 400 yds away.

we can hunt with semiauto shotguns in PA for deer, small game, and birding, why not rifles, and pistols for deer and small game, and varmints??

also, one reason the "sporting" clause the ATF uses to ban importation of certain guns is part of the GCA of 68...and thats based on the amount of states that allow hunting with semiautos.
    that was the basis for the 1989 ban on imported rifles and shotguns that are military style.
    Same with the later 1997/8 ban on further importation of even features neutered thumbhole stocked semiautos.

the ATF does not consider things like High Power competition, and other shooting sports as legal "sports" for the purpose of importation of firearms, only hunting.

the more states that allow hunting with semis, the more gunowners and importers have a leg up in fighting ATF administrative bans, bans based on thier interpretation of the law.

so, thats my reasoning.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    I have not heard a reason why they should be allowed, which is presumably what the PGC is doing.
    why should lever actions be allowed?

why should scopes be allowed?

why should guns be allowed for hunting at all? why not only allow archery hunting?

(Montgomery County)

heh..good one LRT, I see the idea here.

the best reason I can come up with is based on 3 little words.

"freedom of choice"

maybe we can just reduce that to "freedom"

some freedom for petty regulations is also good.

then again, maybe not....IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN.

why is it the cops always want people to give justification for...

WHY carry a gun?
    freedom
    WHY own a semiauto assault weapon?
    freedom
    WHY not allow me to search your car?
    freedom to say NO
    WHY...

I'll just leave it at freedom.

also, note that the argument about carrying semis while hunting for CCW just became moot, at least it will be within 60 days.

ahh, cant wait to sport my high cap XD 45, or my 1911, or my G17, or etc etc etc as my CCW when going about my legal hunting activities.

ahh freedom.
    (from petty regulations)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast