Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default PA LTCF denied for "an undisclosed reason"

Hi guy's I'm new here this is my first post. I've been stopping by getting info now and then so ,thanks for that.
    Here's my situation, I applied for my PA LTCF in Delaware County almost two weeks ago. Today I received a two letters one certified mail and one regular postage both saying-

"This letter is to inform you that the Pennsylvania State Police has denied your application as a result of their check of the Pennsylvania instant check system for an undisclosed reason"

-I own a hand gun and I just purchased a Ar-15a2 last friday and the PICS check went through OK for those. I had a little trouble with the hand gun. I was put into research for a week and then the gun shop forgot to call me in the allowed time when I was cleared so ,they had to run my name through PICS for a second time when I went to pick it up and it went through OK.

Do they do a deeper search for a LTCF vs a hand gun purchase? I plan on sending in the challenge form but I'm kind of hesitant because I've heard stories of PSP filing charges on people for providing false statements by accident. I'm probably just being paranoid but any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for the help

Default Re: PA LTCF denied for "an undisclosed reason"

Quote Originally Posted by NL128 View Post
    Hi guy's I'm new here this is my first post. I've been stopping by getting info now and then so ,thanks for that.
    Here's my situation, I applied for my PA LTCF in Delaware County almost two weeks ago. Today I received a two letters one certified mail and one regular postage both saying-

"This letter is to inform you that the Pennsylvania State Police has denied your application as a result of their check of the Pennsylvania instant check system for an undisclosed reason"

-I own a hand gun and I just purchased a Ar-15a2 last friday and the PICS check went through OK for those. I had a little trouble with the hand gun. I was put into research for a week and then the gun shop forgot to call me in the allowed time when I was cleared so ,they had to run my name through PICS for a second time when I went to pick it up and it went through OK.

Do they do a deeper search for a LTCF vs a hand gun purchase? I plan on sending in the challenge form but I'm kind of hesitant because I've heard stories of PSP filing charges on people for providing false statements by accident. I'm probably just being paranoid but any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for the help
    It's not the same PICS check for purchase as for an LTCF, the license is harder. Some things will prohibit you for an LTCF that will not be a bar to gun ownership.

Have you ever been convicted of a 2nd degree misdemeanor, for example? Any minor drug convictions?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

I'm curious about what you write regarding a challenge...
    It's my understanding a challenge is for pics that get denied...I thought ltcf requires a denial reason.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's not the same PICS check for purchase as for an LTCF, the license is harder. Some things will prohibit you for an LTCF that will not be a bar to gun ownership.

Have you ever been convicted of a 2nd degree misdemeanor, for example? Any minor drug convictions?
    Hi thanks for the response

Yes, I was arrested for possession of a couple grams of pot when I was a teenager. Does that fall under the April,14 1972 (P.L 233 No.64) drugs act ?

Do you think its worth sending in the challenge form just to see what happens or should I just try and forget about it? I am curious for the exact reason of denial instead of the vague answer they gave me.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    It's my understanding a challenge is for pics that get denied...I thought ltcf requires a denial reason.
    "undisclosed reason" is all that was mentioned in the letter. I was told they were supposed to give a reason too.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by NL128 View Post
    Hi thanks for the response

Yes, I was arrested for possession of a couple grams of pot when I was a teenager. Does that fall under the April,14 1972 (P.L 233 No.64) drugs act ?

Do you think its worth sending in the challenge form just to see what happens or should I just try and forget about it? I am curious for the exact reason of denial instead of the vague answer they gave me.
    A conviction for ANY drug offense will prohibit you from receiving a LTCF. It doesn't matter what grade of offense it was, all drug convictions are prohibiting for a license.

If the conviction was a M2 or less, then you can still own guns.

If you were a teenager(younger than 18) at the time, you might want to see if you were adjudicated delinquent, or if it should have been sealed/expunged at 18yo. GL001, or any other attorney, would know more about that stuff. Sometimes offenses that were supposed to be seal or whatever happens at 18yo when convicted as a minor don't actually get sealed/expunged. You could possibly received an ARD, and things weren't followed through with in the system.

If you were 18yo or older, and were actually convicted - you're screwed on getting a LTCF. A pardon+expungement would be needed.

If I were you, I'd double check your record and speak to an attorney about seeing what can be done about it.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 5th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    PICS doesn't tell the Sheriff or FFL the reason for denial. The only responses PICS issues are: "Denial", "Delay/Research", "Proceed"

If a sheriff receives a denial, he/she has to manually look up the applicants records to provide the applicant the reason.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

To tell you the truth I don't remember exactly what I was charge with and every time I do a background check on myself nothing shows up but a DUI from 12yrs ago which I got ARD for. I just payed the $10 for a PSP check, they said I should get the results by mail with in 2 weeks. I'll see what's on there and send a copy of it with the challenge form to cover my ass. To show I'm not trying to hide anything and just see what happens.

(Lehigh County)

Let's see, you had a drug conviction and now a dui, is there anything else you are leaving out? may have forgotten? All they need is an excuse for not giving you a license, and you are giving them plenty.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    Let's see, you had a drug conviction and now a dui, is there anything else you are leaving out? may have forgotten? All they need is an excuse for not giving you a license, and you are giving them plenty.
    A (single) DUI conviction in which there was no property or personal damage will not necessarily disqualify you for a LTCF, as long as you completed probation and the court's requirements... which he obviously did because he's purchased 2 firearms since then. ARD isn't even a DUI conviction, it's more like a first time offence plea deal that most counties offer (it can vary though).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast