Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Won't Be At Wicen's April 13

It's great to see people coming together to support their favorite activity.The day at Wicen's seemed to me a worthy cause and a good way to spend a day with like minded folks. In preparation I called the range to ask a few questions and to get more info on the need for Photo ID. I asked if a Penna. driver's license would be OK, they thought it would, and I then explained my Penna is a religious exemption driver's license that does not have a photo. The phone was handed over to Joe Wicen, who I explained my situation to. Unfortunately, in short, he said NO. It would have been nice if he would have allowed me present the license to him for his examination prior to any range activity, since most people have never seen this type of ID before. But it's his range and its his choice as to he wants there.. But I will add this- I won't be there on April 13, and have just been motivated to finally join one the many shooting clubs in this area. Mr. Wicen may have several good reasons for his position but he didn't take the time to talk it over with me. P.S.; I'm over 50 years of age so that's not an issue.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Won't Be At Wicen's April 13

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us. What religious exemption do you have to having your picture placed on a drivers license? I have never heard of that before, just interested in learning a little!!!
    MOLON LABE

(Bucks County)

Frommycolddeadhands; Objections to photographs, particulary digital photos, are common among Old Order Baptist, Amish, and Mennonite communities.

(Berks County)

I'm just curious, why are pictures objectionable? And why are digital cameras objectionable in particular? I don't recall anything in the Bible that specifies such a thing.

(Montgomery County)

I can understand your disappointment but I also recognize the situation that Wicen's is in. They are DEEP in hostile territory and I'm sure they have had to come up with some strict guidelines to insure that they get neighbors to play nice. Local people are constantly pressuring them to limit or stop their range activity - going on 20+ years now. Also I suspect that for insurance purposes they have to follow some guidelines.

That area has become increasingly built up and more liberal over the years - I admire their tenacity for holding on and not caving to the local pressures.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeF View Post
    I can understand your disappointment but I also recognize the situation that Wicen's is in. They are DEEP in hostile territory and I'm sure they have had to come up with some strict guidelines to insure that they get neighbors to play nice. Local people are constantly pressuring them to limit or stop their range activity - going on 20+ years now. Also I suspect that for insurance purposes they have to follow some guidelines.

That area has become increasingly built up and more liberal over the years - I admire their tenacity for holding on and not caving to the local pressures.
    I am a regular attendee at Wicen's range and recently, in an effort to further 'cater to the whims' of the liberal populace, they have installed barrel stops on the benches in order to prevent careless shooters from firing over the berm there (I still, for the life of me, can't figure out how some idiot could have even accidentally fired a round over that thing).

A fee of $25 gets you a membership (this is a deterrent to freelancers who have either not been to the range here or have not demonstrated any proficiencies in safe firearms handling in an open air arena) and you are required to attend a briefing and training period in conjunction with that card so they can be assured that you are a responsible shooter and meet the stringent safety requirements of the NRA trained and certified Range Safety Officers.

I can't blame him for requiring photo identification... it is a private residence, his property and, as many well know, the community surrounding him is not exactly pro-gun. I wouldn't accept anything less myself.

On a personal note... they have been in operation since 1924... a little longer than 20 years. I am 57 years old and I learned firearm safety on this range when I was just 12 - I don't know how long my Father (a Deputy PA Waterways Patrolman) shot there before I was old enough to join him but I do know this... I had two older Brothers who also shot there.

I highly recommend supporting them and Joe Wicen is one heck of a nice and conscientious individual. Polite as the day is long - I can personally vouch for his character and decisions.
    Last edited by G.AlanFink; April 13th, 2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Missing essential information.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by G.AlanFink View Post
    I am a regular attendee at Wicen's range and recently, in an effort to further 'cater to the whims' of the liberal populace, they have installed barrel stops on the benches in order to prevent careless shooters from firing over the berm there (I still, for the life of me, can't figure out how some idiot could have even accidentally fired a round over that thing).

A fee of $25 gets you a membership (this is a deterrent to freelancers who have either not been to the range here or have not demonstrated any proficiencies in safe firearms handling in an open air arena) and you are required to attend a briefing and training period in conjunction with that card so they can be assured that you are a responsible shooter and meet the stringent safety requirements of the NRA trained and certified Range Safety Officers.

I can't blame him for requiring photo identification... it is a private residence, his property and, as many well know, the community surrounding him is not exactly pro-gun. I wouldn't accept anything less myself.

On a personal note... they have been in operation since 1924... a little longer than 20 years. I am 57 years old and I learned firearm safety on this range when I was just 12 - I don't know how long my Father (a Deputy PA Waterways Patrolman) shot there before I was old enough to join him but I do know this... I had two older Brothers who also shot there.

I highly recommend supporting them and Joe Wicen is one heck of a nice and conscientious individual. Polite as the day is long - I can personally vouch for his character and decisions.

+1 on all above. Joe's father and uncle were harassed extraordinarily for at least the past 20 years by...of all things...a builder/developer who saw their farm as a plum for the taking. That they developed a code of conduct and enforce it simply assures your enjoyment - and it goes a very long way in ensuring their continued existence.

This range deserves all our support. And I admit I'm selfish in saying this - there just aren't too many ranges around these parts.