Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hunting deer with semi auto 12 ga in 5C/Special Regulation area?

This is my first time going out after getting my license. I am going with a buddy. He is telling me that I can only use manually operated shotguns. I am not sure if I am reading it correctly or missing information, but in my digest it mentions using both manually and semi-auto shotguns for deer in the Montgomery County (5C) area. I believe that makes it a Special Regulation area.

Can I use a Semi auto shotgun in Montgomery county for deer?
    Last edited by FJR86; December 4th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Default Re: Hunting deer with semi auto 12 ga in 5C/Special Regulation area?

Correction: Section 141.1.d.2

(d) Permitted acts. It is lawful to:
    (2) Take deer with a shotgun 20 gauge or larger—including semiautomatic—using buckshot in the Southeast area only.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...41/s141.1.html
    Last edited by CL3; December 4th, 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Special Regs

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    Correction: Section 141.1.d.2

(d) Permitted acts. It is lawful to:
    (2) Take deer with a shotgun 20 gauge or larger—including semiautomatic—using buckshot in the Southeast area only.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...41/s141.1.html
    Thank you!

So if I use a pump shotgun, I use slugs. If I use a semi-auto shotgun, use buckshot.
    Last edited by FJR86; December 4th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    Thank you!

So if I use a pump shotgun, I use slugs. If I use a semi-auto shotgun, use buckshot.
    I don't read it like that... in the Special Regs Area, you can use a semi-auto with buckshot or slugs. Maybe the resident WCO will weigh in on this sooner or later...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    I don't read it like that... in the Special Regs Area, you can use a semi-auto with buckshot or slugs. Maybe the resident WCO will weigh in on this sooner or later...
    I reread the Special Regs Area section in my digest again, and you are correct.

.410 and larger are to use slugs.
    20 and larger can use buckshot. I misunderstood it as first glance. So 20 and up can use either, while anything smaller than 20 must use slugs only.

FJR86 - when are you going? you mind if i tag along?

(Lehigh County)

To confuse the matter more. I think only a portion of 5c is semi the other section it would be illegal. It goes by county. Leave it to the PGC to confuse everyone.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    To confuse the matter more. I think only a portion of 5c is semi the other section it would be illegal. It goes by county. Leave it to the PGC to confuse everyone.
    You're correct, it's not all of 5C.

You can use a semi-auto shotgun in the Special Regulations Area, which in the southeast is all of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties. Note that SRA is defined by counties, not Wildlife Management Units (WMUs).

See here:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ment_units_pdf

About half of 5C is in the SRA, that half being northern Bucks, Northern Montgomery, most of Chester, and a small part of Delaware. The rest of the SRA is in 5D, which is Southern Bucks, Southern Montgomery, most of Delaware, and all of Philly. Note that there's ever more restrictions in Philly, namely that only Archery is permitted.

The rest of 5C (Eastern Berks, most of Lehigh, and most of Northampton) are outside the SRA, and standard rules apply (manually operated rifles/shotguns/handguns for deer).

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    I reread the Special Regs Area section in my digest again, and you are correct.

.410 and larger are to use slugs.
    20 and larger can use buckshot. I misunderstood it as first glance. So 20 and up can use either, while anything smaller than 20 must use slugs only.
    I believe this is correct. However, many of the public parks in the SRA have additional restrictions that limit to slug only, so double-check this if you're hunting on public land.

If you wanna keep it simple, the one sure thing that covers all bases is a pump shotgun. In my research, this is the only firearm that is guaranteed to be usable in all locations during all seasons in the state, assuming you're using the proper ammo for the game you're hunting.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; December 4th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    You're correct, it's not all of 5C.

You can use a semi-auto shotgun in the Special Regulations Area, which in the southeast is all of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties. Note that SRA is defined by counties, not Wildlife Management Units (WMUs).

See here:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ment_units_pdf

About half of 5C is in the SRA, that half being northern Bucks, Northern Montgomery, most of Chester, and a small part of Delaware. The rest of the SRA is in 5D, which is Southern Bucks, Southern Montgomery, most of Delaware, and all of Philly. Note that there's ever more restrictions in Philly, namely that only Archery is permitted.

The rest of 5C (Eastern Berks, most of Lehigh, and most of Northampton) are outside the SRA, and standard rules apply (manually operated rifles/shotguns/handguns for deer).

I believe this is correct. However, many of the public parks in the SRA have additional restrictions that limit to slug only, so double-check this if you're hunting on public land.

If you wanna keep it simple, the one sure thing that covers all bases is a pump shotgun. In my research, this is the only firearm that is guaranteed to be usable in all locations during all seasons in the state, assuming you're using the proper ammo for the game you're hunting.
    For a couple minutes I was like "Dear God what did I get my self into". But I think I understand where you are getting at now. I had to read your post a couple of times before it clicked. I'll be hunting specifically in Montgomery County, I guess I should ahve mentioned that earlier. Near Collegeville specifically. I will double check which property we will be hunting in to ensure we are in Montgomery County since I did notice a SGL just on the border of Montco near Collegeville.

As for a pump, I currently do not have one in my inventory. I'm currently trying to see if I can borrow one. That may have to change in the future to expand my hunting areas. I am actually looking into getting a single shot shotgun for a nice inexpensive field deer gun. The original plan was to get a Semi 12ga for birds and another Rem700 for deer(but in this case the 1100 would work for SR areas since rifles are not permitted).
    Last edited by FJR86; December 5th, 2012 at 01:27 AM.

(Chester County)

statewide:

Firearms Deer Seasons: 1) Manually operated centerfire rifles, handguns
    and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed
    to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any type, 44
    caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or larger;
    and 3) long, recurve or compound and crossbows with broadheads of
    cutting-edge design

SE special regs areas (parts of 5C):

DEER & BEAR SEASON ARMS & AMMUNITION: Allegheny County — Muzzleloading long guns .44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows, crossbows,
    manual or semi-automatic shotguns, .410 or larger using slugs. Buckshot is not permitted. Philadelphia County — Only bows and arrows,
    including crossbows. Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks — Manual or semi-automatic shotguns 20-gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and
    arrows and crossbows. Remaining Counties — Muzzleloading long guns, .44 caliber or larger, manual or semi-automatic shotguns .410 or larger
    using slugs, 20-gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast