Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default SGL 183 Shotgun Range Closed...

So i've recently been getting more involved in trap shooting with my father who is retired. We loved going to 183 to go trap because for a box of clays and 100 rounds of ammo only cost us $25, which is cheaper then a club.

So today we decide we are going to go shoot trap again. We dont live that close to 183 so its still about a 40-50 min drive for us. We arrive grab our guns, ammo, and clays and start walking towards the range only to see a big sign reading "RANGE CLOSED".

First I was a little distraught, I haven't been shooting trap there for very long and I just starting to really enjoy going there. I was hoping it was only renovations, but after a call to the local office a quick "It's closed for good" *click* told me everything I needed to know.

Does anybody have a reason for the range being closed? Seems I need to find another place to shoot trap, anybody have a good place within reasonable distance of the Milford/Dingmans Ferry area? If not any reasonable prices clubs or ranges nearby that I can shoot trap at?

Thanks

(Pike County)

Default Re: SGL 183 Shotgun Range Closed...

No clue why 183 is closed, but Tri-States in Port Jervis, NY was $3.50/rd. last year on Sundays (I'm a former member).

--Rob W.

(Bucks County)

PGC does close them from time to time for maintenance. You can visit PGC's page on the rifle ranges they operate here. It looks like the one on SGL 183 is still listed as open, so I'm guessing that was a maintenance closure.

The southeast region has lost just about all its public ranges. I've contacted the PGC about this and here's what they had to say:

Using information from The NRA Source Book (The Range Manual - 1998) and from the Third National Shooting Range Symposium: Design Criteria for Shooting Ranges by Clark Vargas, P.E. the Game Commission's professional engineer determined that errant bullets could cause safety concerns in this area. The range will need major modifications to address these safety issues and also to implement a strategy to prevent any lead contamination. The most extensive part of the project will be the requirement for a 'no blue sky' modification, which is designed to prohibit shooters from being able to elevate their firearms above the target area and backstop, thereby preventing bullets traveling several thousand yards downrange. The initial recommendation was estimated to cost $52,000.00. The agency is working on a lower cost alternative. A test of the prototype was conducted on July 20 at Scotia Range in Centre County. The modification consists of a large steel tube placed horizontally in front of the shooting bench at the same level the table top, with one or two six-inch thick baffles about Twenty and thirthy feet downrange The firearm's barrel must be inserted within the tube, so that any bullets will be directed to the target area. Several sportsmen, who were using other stations at the range, were invited to shoot and thought the modification would be acceptable and did not find any problems using it. Agency personnel are working to modify this original design. The agency is also searching for grant monies or other sources to finance these costly modifications. The range closures are temporary. Unfortunately, I cannot predict when it might be open.
    This was from May of 2006, and it's still closed. I don't think there are really any plans to reopen the range. This is a shame, because although I am a member of a private club now, I depended on the state ranges to get started. Other new shooters should have that opportunity, and has shooters, the tax dollars we pay on ammunition and firearms are supposed to contribute to maintaining these shooting ranges.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Pike County)

Yea only thing that worries me is the fact that when I called the rep told me it was closed. I asked *for good* and the rep said yes. Maybe it was miscommunication.

Wish I could find out more, dont want to keep calling and be a nagger.

Any info would be very appreciated, thanks.

*also rob about the Port Jervis club, is there any laws about traveling out of state with the gun? Would I need a license? Thanks
    Last edited by Djnardu; March 16th, 2008 at 02:18 PM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Djnardu View Post

*also rob about the Port Jervis club, is there any laws about traveling out of state with the gun? Would I need a license? Thanks
    No problem with a shotgun or rifle, only handguns.

--Rob

Is this the range off Route 6 just outside Lake Wallanpaupak? If so, is the entire range closed, or just the shotgun range? That's a big loss for both Pike & Wayne COs
    Lord, help me become the person my dog believes I am

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by noshow View Post
    Is this the range off Route 6 just outside Lake Wallanpaupak? If so, is the entire range closed, or just the shotgun range? That's a big loss for both Pike & Wayne COs
    Yes it is the one off of route 6

I was there today and the 100 yard range and 25 yard were both open, the shotgun "one to the left of the 100 yard" was closed though, hopefully its only temp and they dont decide to do this with the rifle and handgun ranges either.

(Chester County)

I was there today and a guy from the gaming commission was there and I asked him when the shotgun range would be open, he said they were closing it for good. Its a shame because it was such a great range, hopefully they will rethink that decision.

(Pike County)

the "shotgun range" was out in the field and it was never officially a shotgun range.

people just started going out in the field shooting claybirds,cans,bottles,tv sets and everything else.

the field is now a food plot sponsored by QDMA.

the pistol and rifle range should reopen in about another 3-4 weeks.

(Pike County)

the sgl 183 range should be open in approx.2 weeks.
    1st VP PFSC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast