Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Conceal Carry Laws

Hey all-

Brand new here and to having my conceal carry permit. I was wondering about the specific laws about carrying concealed. I know you can't carry in k-12 schools or courthouses. If you have your permit can stores and public places deny you the Bility to carry?

Right now I have a Sig Pro 2009 which isn't very compact to be carrying concealed but I intend on getting a Glock 30 in the neat future. Any help would be great

Default Re: Conceal Carry Laws

Here you go. This link has a ton of information about concealed carry in Pa. Definitely worth the time to read.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

(Perry County)

Check out this flyer: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...carry-you.html

Tons of great information.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Luzerne County)

There are plenty of previous posts about this and I suggest that you read through them. They answer all of your questions on this.

But, bascially, you do NOT have a concealed permit.. you have a LICENSE TO CARRY A FIREARM.... PA is an open carry state which means that you are legally allowed to openly carry with certain exceptions. Those are listed on this site under the CONCEALED AND OPEN CARRY section of the forum.

As far as stores preventing you from carrying, that is up to the individual stores. IF you are found to be carrying ( concealed or openly ) they can ask you to leave. You must do so unless you wish to be prosecuted for defiant trespass.

(Lancaster County)

First off, welcome to the crew and thank you for coming in.

Take your time to read through the top sections of the thread titles. There is all kind of information everywhere here and plenty of people to help show you the ropes.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION as much as possible .. you can spend days and weeks reading past threads that are packed with what your looking for.

Other wise enjoy the ride
    An Armed society is a polite one

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Here you go. This link has a ton of information about concealed carry in Pa. Definitely worth the time to read.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    And in addition to that link, i suggest taking a look at this one
    http://handgunlaw.us/

As for the k - 12 school part, your in for a bit of a debate on that one. The law says no except for other lawful purpose. Some say that means having your license and / or self defense are that other lawful purpose. I happen to agree with those people. The police on the other hand may not. There have been a few cases where people were caught carrying in a school and arrested. As far as i know, no one has been convicted yet. Im not saying it hasn't happened, just that i have personally not heard of it. Either way, your going to be spending some time in a police station and handing over alot of money to your lawyer. So unless your independently wealthy and want to take one for the team, i suggest you conceal very well or refrain from carrying on school grounds.

(Clinton County)

Thanks everyone or all the help. I'm use to forum set ups for different things but didn't see a search button so that's why I went ahead and made this post. I'm also on my phone so it could of make it more difficult.

Again I'm new to carry conceal. I bought my Sig Pro prolly 6 yrs ago when I went through the PA Act 235 course but haven't really used it since bc I moved to central PA and didn't know of any ranges and was unaware of outdoor range rules. Hand in there with me I'm trying to learn and really wanna get into shooting

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GruGrux515 View Post
    Thanks everyone or all the help. I'm use to forum set ups for different things but didn't see a search button so that's why I went ahead and made this post. I'm also on my phone so it could of make it more difficult.

Again I'm new to carry conceal. I bought my Sig Pro prolly 6 yrs ago when I went through the PA Act 235 course but haven't really used it since bc I moved to central PA and didn't know of any ranges and was unaware of outdoor range rules. Hand in there with me I'm trying to learn and really wanna get into shooting
    Just to clarify, not busting your chops, but do you have a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) or do you have a certification under the Lethal Weapons Training Act (Act 235)?

An LTCF covers a variety of commonly encountered situations and is available without a training prerequisite. (A LTCF allows carrying concealed throughout the state, carrying in a vehicle, carrying during a state of emergency, and carrying openly or concealed in Philadelphia, all of which are otherwise unlawful without holding a license or meeting another exception.)

An Act 235 cert. requires completing a training course but is only applicable for carrying a lethal weapon as part of a job, as well as to and from that job. It's not a general carry permit.
    Last edited by twency; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spellling
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

We were all new at some time or another. You have a lot of good reading that will give you a lot to think about. Take your time and ask questions if you have any. It's better to ask questions before you need to know the answer than after you are in a situation where you wished you knew it. A lot of information that has been discussed in the past gets brought up by people new to the forum and I find myself learning new stuff all the time.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Just to clarify, not busting your chops, but do you have a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) or do you have a certification under the Lethal Weapons Training Act (Act 235)?

An LTCF covers a variety of commonly encountered situations and is available without a training prerequisite. (A LTCF allows carrying concealed throughout the state, carrying in a vehicle, carrying during a state of emergency, and carrying openly or concealed in Philadelphia, all of which are otherwise unlawful without holding a license or meeting another exception.)

An Act 235 cert. requires completing a training course but is only applicable for carrying a lethal weapon as part of a job, as well as to and from that job. It's not a general carry permit.

I went through the Act 235 when I was working at Dorney Park (I was trying to be a rent-a-cop I guess haha). After working 1 yr I moved from the are and my 235 has since expired and I never renewed it. I just got my LTCF, which wads laughable process considering it took mr longer to fill out the application then it did for me to get approved. Anyway I am slowly learning the ropes and getting back into shooting tomorrow. Just got my range membership.

Just a aware of the grey areas involved with carrying and in worst case scenarios using

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast