Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Exclamation Remington R1 sights

I just recently purchased an R1.. However I have it at a custom 1911 builder to make it "mine" , but I'm having some problems finding a set of night sights... I'm looking for a drop in set that does not require cutting the slide. If anyone has any suggestions or can lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all in advance!
    Last edited by 1911barbershop; December 3rd, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Remington R1 sights

The 1911 R1 utilizes a standard Novak type front and rear sight cut. Other sight options available through outside sources will need to match this dovetail cut in order to be installed with as little potential for damage to the slide as possible.

I found this info here http://www.1911r1.com/pages/FAQs.aspx. so you can get them from novak here http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/index.html

(Washington County)

Thank you for the reply! I received an email from novak today after contacting them.... "Sorry we do not make sights for the r1... We do make sights for the enhanced model however. The r1 would require milling for their sights to fit, remington may use a novak style cut however". But I have heard that the rear sight is actually a standard GI cut... So I am back on the hunt for a set of sights and more info!

(Susquehanna County)

Ok based on what I read in an article http://www.realguns.com/articles/261.htm and I checked it other places you can use a standard GI Dovetail Rear site which there are lots of them out there. The front you will need A Novack 65° x.330" standard dovetail.

(Washington County)

sgr, I have read that article as well (been searching for 3+ weeks), however I have emailed heinie and trijicon neither company has drop in sights for the r1 (even after I explained the sizes and cuts). I am going to call XS sights tomorrow again but for some reason they are very hard to get in contact with.
    There was a photo of an R1 on here not long ago (within 3 months) that had XS sights but my attempts to contact the person were always met with a full inbox. I was not on a build list so I did not save the user name, because I was not on a build list. I can no longer find the pic, so I'm SOL at this point lol, I feel as if my attempts are futile. Now I'm in a scramble to find sights because I found a builder with an open spot just before xmas!

(Susquehanna County)

Just as a suggestion but you should call Brownells.com there gunsmiths can help you find the right sights and they can sell them to you at a good price. here is the number 1-800-741-0015.

Hope this helps

(Washington County)

Thanks for the heads up about brownells, as soon as I get home from work I will call... Thats right PAFOA during brake time, time well spent in my opinion! I'm more than happy I joined this forum! Good people, good info!

(Washington County)

Talking Re: Remington R1 sights

I contacted Brownells today after work. They do not sell direct replacement sights for the Remington R1. They then transferred me to the gun tech, who suggested that I not piece together a sight set. The height variables could cause the firearm to shoot too high or too low, which makes perfect sense.

I then called XS sights, who actually answered. They directly transferred me to a gun tech. After explaining my situation and troubles this is what he said:
    "Sir I'm sorry that you have had so much trouble trying to find replacement sights for your R1. I'm sure you will be glad to hear that we not only have 1 set, but we have 2. We have a set with a standard size front dot as well as a Big dot front. Both sets require no gun smithing". After hearing they had sets available, I'm much relieved. The sights are not cheap however, at 120$ plus shipping, for a total just at 130$

For those of you out there looking for direct replacement sights for your Remington R1, the XS part numbers are as follows:

Standard dot sight - RE-0012S-5

Big Dot sights- RE-0012s-6

Both sets are night sights in the "lolly pop form" -0 vertical tritium post on the rear sight and a round tritium ring in the front.

Thank you again GSR, your assistance is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by 1911barbershop; December 5th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

I know this is a way late reply, but here it goes. The REMINGTON standard model has proprietary dovetail cuts at 70 degrees, there are no aftermarket sights availiable. REMINGTON was going to change this on their standard models. The REMINGTON ENHANCED MODEL has NOVAK dovetail cuts at 65 degrees both front and rear. this information can be found on REMINGTONS website under the support section. Aftermarket sights will need minor fitting for novak or bomar cuts, BOMAR cuts are at 60 degrees. Good gunsmiths can change a 70 degree cut to a 65 degree cut, yes this is possible , Remington has more information on gunsmiths who they would use to make those modifications, give Remington a call.