Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Springfield XDs 45 acp for their first ccw?

I've got my first 45 acp as my first carry.

People were saying ohhhh 9mm are the best for your first. But I figured taming the 45 as my first ccw would go long way.

I figured 45 has much more recoil. But XDs recoil very manageable. I even let a Vietnam veteran shoot mine. And he was surprised how accurate and manage compare to his colt 1911.

I'm happy with my purchase and I just wished that the ammo aren't too expensive

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Springfield XDs 45 acp for their first ccw?

Quote Originally Posted by woostar88 View Post
    I've got my first 45 acp as my first carry.

People were saying ohhhh 9mm are the best for your first. But I figured taming the 45 as my first ccw would go long way.

I figured 45 has much more recoil. But XDs recoil very manageable. I even let a Vietnam veteran shoot mine. And he was surprised how accurate and manage compare to his colt 1911.

I'm happy with my purchase and I just wished that the ammo aren't too expensive
    congratulations ! it is a great gun, I love mine and use it as my carry gun. my gunshop sells reloads from a reputable guy in town for $12.99 a box so I buy some whenever he has it for target. to carry, I use powerballs. remember with the xds you need to really rack the slide hard and fast or first round will hang up just bought a 7 round mag at springfield armory, they were having a 30% off sale! enjoy.

(Berks County)

my first CCW was an XD45 service model. it was a great gun, I bought a XD9 after that and use that to keep in my vehicle for a back up. then I got a springfield 1911 loaded and thats my CCW now. I sold the xd45 since i never shot it after shooting the 1911. its just what I like myself. theres nothing wrong with the XD45 IMO other than it costs a little more to feed it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    congratulations ! it is a great gun, I love mine and use it as my carry gun. my gunshop sells reloads from a reputable guy in town for $12.99 a box so I buy some whenever he has it for target. to carry, I use powerballs. remember with the xds you need to really rack the slide hard and fast or first round will hang up just bought a 7 round mag at springfield armory, they were having a 30% off sale! enjoy.
    That's a sweet deal. Mind if you share it with me? Maybe we can hit up the range together and of course the first box is on me!

(Lancaster County)

I've shot a buddy's and yes, it has manageable recoil for its size. I know ammo is expensive but don't assume it will eat all defensive ammo as well as it does fmjs. Although it very well might, you need to make sure while at the range before you carry it. My recommendation anyway.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by woostar88 View Post
    That's a sweet deal. Mind if you share it with me? Maybe we can hit up the range together and of course the first box is on me!
    7 round magazines 30% off at springfield-armory.com

ammo is from my local gunshop - mechanicsburg ordnance - but he doesn't have reloads all the time

if you're ever down this way - give a yell - i belong to hh&a - probably too far for you though1

good luck!

(Blair County)

Since you already bought it, the question is kinda moot now. I would have recommended 9mm, but if you can handle the recoil of your XDs then roll with it. My only advice is practice, practice, practice.

I do like the gun, for what it's worth, but I am definitely not a 45 fanboy. Too expensive for me. When they release the 9mm model, I will have to debate long and hard between it and a S&W Shield. If the Shield was offered sans safety, the decision would have been made already.

(Cumberland County)

Springfield does such a nice job with their extended mags.. Got my 7 round in for xds and it's just beautiful and blends perfectly with the grip. Unlike many others, such as my Kahr K9 - extended mag. is made just a little longer and has a gap between mag base and bottom of grip so all you see is 1/8" or so of magazine. Not the Springfield though - and less $