Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Kel-Tec PF9 vs Ruger LC9 vs Ruger LCP?

Hey all, I am thinking about replacing my Bersa .380 with something new. The three options I am currently considering are as listed in the thread title - Ruger LCP & LC9 or a Kel-Tec PF9. I have a buddy that has a PF9 and he likes it, and I know a couple of guys with LCP's that also like them. I shot the LCP last week and was surprised by it - given the size of its frame I expected it to have more recoil than it does. I have held the Kel-Tec a few months ago and I recall liking the way it felt in my hands, but I haven't fired one yet. I have not yet handled an LC9 and I don't know anyone that has one.

So, what kind of information can you fine folks here offer on differences between these firearms? I know the LCP is only accurate for 15-18 ft, but what about the others? Also, does anyone know what the recoil differences are between the two small-frame 9mm's and the slightly smaller .380? Also and just general thoughts on any or all of these three would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts offered!
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(York County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec PF9 vs Ruger LC9 vs Ruger LCP?

I have a kel-tec pf9 and have owned the ruger Lcp but sold it.

The pf9, IMO, has a better trigger then the ruger lc9. Its also a lot simpler. No safeties, loaded chamber indicator, etc. Sights are the same. Pf9 is a little shorter and thinner IIRC too, which makes pocket carry easier. The grip its pretty rough though. I put a houge grip on mine.

Recoil is worse with the lcp than the 9's.

(Perry County)

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if the trigger on the lc9 is similar to the lcp? I know the lcp is smaller than both the 9's, which makes it better for pocket carry, but I really was not very fond of the long and hard trigger pull on it.

And I've seen people on here repeatedly say that the recoil on .380's is worse than 9mm's, and that just doesn't make intuitive sense to me. The 9mm is the same caliber as the .380, just a longer cartridge so it seems to me that the 9mm should have more recoil.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

We have both a LCP and a LC9, either carries effortless. The recoil on both is very manageable and does not cause a problem even with arthiritis in both hands. Everybody seems to feel recoil differently and I think that most of us feel what we think will happen.
    For my two cents I really like the LC9 so far, the trigger seems to pull long but smooth.
    As to effective range ot the pocket pistols I think that practice will greatly stretch it. Most of us are more of the problem than the pistol. Years ago the buzz was that snubs were only effective acrossed the poker table. After an evening of arguments about the effective range of a S&W Airweight Chief it was settled the next morning with 4 out of 5 hits on a man sized target at 100 yds.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if the trigger on the lc9 is similar to the lcp? I know the lcp is smaller than both the 9's, which makes it better for pocket carry, but I really was not very fond of the long and hard trigger pull on it.

And I've seen people on here repeatedly say that the recoil on .380's is worse than 9mm's, and that just doesn't make intuitive sense to me. The 9mm is the same caliber as the .380, just a longer cartridge so it seems to me that the 9mm should have more recoil.
    You have to take into account the size of the firearm. In a same size gun the .380, to me, has about the same felt recoil of a 9mm.

Now make the .380 gun even smaller and felt recoil will increase.

The one LC9 I handled had a horrible trigger. It made the kel-tec feel like a performance center Smith and Wesson. I've heard from a friend who has both Rugers that the LCP has a better trigger than the LC9. It might smooth out over time though.

(Chester County)

I carry a PF-9. I used to have a P3AT and sold it. PF-9 certainly isn't a target pistol, but it doesn't have to be one. IMO it is designed for up-close self defense, like the Gerald Ung situation. PF-9 is thin and light as a feather; wonderful to carry in a belt holster on an hour-long walk, unlike my Glock 23. Also 9mm offers more punch than .380 (depending on ammo choice). A PF-9 is very affordable too (like a used Bersa)

Try this test: (unloaded) Grab the pistol as quickly as you can out of your pocket or concealment holster, getting a grip + your trigger finger into position, as fast as you can. I found I had to contort my hand and "thread the needle" with my trigger finger with the LCP...its too small for me to grip quickly under stress. The PF-9 naturally fit my size L glove hands; I could grip it and my trigger finger found its spot much easier/faster- an important consideration.
    Last edited by Enfielder; December 2nd, 2012 at 05:23 AM.

There are a few threads in thus forum comparing the two or reviewing either or. I choose the lc9 when I was trying to make the same decision and have posted in several of those threads with my cerakoted and modified lc9 if you want to search.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

The LC9 is my primary CC choice. Its small, thin, and very easy to carry. Most days i forget its even there lol

Now my fiance was looking into something small for her and looked at the LCP but didnt like the trigger pull .. but since she is nice enough to have expensive taste she will be asking for a Sig 238 for Xmas

the above is by own fault .. NEVER GET YOUR WOMAN INTO GUNS .. IT COST TOO MUCH
    An Armed society is a polite one

(Allegheny County)

A big LC9 fan my wife and I both have one

(Lancaster County)

IMO......scratch the lcp off the list first. It's a fine pistol but if you're trading in the Bersa 380 now is a good time to get out of that caliber. 9 mil is cheaper and more readily available. Out of what's left its pretty much a coin toss. I have a PF9 and have never had a problem with it. They are not guns you're typically going to put a ton of rounds through. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast