Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Mars Gun Club?

(Butler County)

Default Mars Gun Club?

I just re-located to western pa and needless to say a place to shoot is on the priority list! What can you guys tell me about Mars and Castlewood gun club? From looking at their website it seems like a great outfit. Any other recommendations near the Zelienople area are much appreciated!

Deal breakers for me and gun clubs:
    1. magazine and volley limits
    2. paper only ranges (I like steel)
    3. "bench only" rules. i shoot NRA HP rifle and like to practice sitting, standing, and prone from a shooting mat

Thanks!
    Bill

(Butler County)

Default Re: Mars Gun Club?

I am not a member at any of the local gun clubs, however i have been to the evans city sports mans club. It is pretty nice and been recently updated. A buddy of mine is a member there, i here it is kind of hard to get into :/
    PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by zeroflat24 View Post
    I am not a member at any of the local gun clubs, however i have been to the evans city sports mans club. It is pretty nice and been recently updated. A buddy of mine is a member there, i here it is kind of hard to get into :/
    Evans City looks like a nice place that is especially active with youth. It seems to primarily be a trap club and I'm more a rifle kind of guy.

Bill

(Butler County)

I'm trying to get a membership at a local club as well because I can't stand going to the gamelands in Wexford anymore. I put a call into both the Evans City club, and Mars rod and gun club. Haven't heard anything back yet, and unfortunately I can't say that I expect to.

There is the Millvale club right by the game lands but apparently they have a several year long waiting list. There is also the Beaver Valley rifle and pistol club, but I think if I were to put that much time into driving I'd rather just hop on the turnpike and drive to that the pitcairn club in Monroeville as they seem to have excellent facilities and a really reasonable membership rate.

I don't about the 3 stipulations that you have, but I don't recall seeing either of them list that they have steel targets.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcbowflex View Post
    I'm trying to get a membership at a local club as well because I can't stand going to the gamelands in Wexford anymore. I put a call into both the Evans City club, and Mars rod and gun club. Haven't heard anything back yet, and unfortunately I can't say that I expect to.

There is the Millvale club right by the game lands but apparently they have a several year long waiting list. There is also the Beaver Valley rifle and pistol club, but I think if I were to put that much time into driving I'd rather just hop on the turnpike and drive to that the pitcairn club in Monroeville as they seem to have excellent facilities and a really reasonable membership rate.

I don't about the 3 stipulations that you have, but I don't recall seeing either of them list that they have steel targets.
    I checked out Mars in person (you should too) it seems like a great place. No ridiculous rules that I was able to find from reading their by-laws. I was very impressed with everything. There is also Northside which I am going to check out.

Bill

(Butler County)

My son tried to get into Mars a few years ago. IIRC, you have to have a sponsor and every time he checked, their membership was closed.

I am going to look into the Saxonburg Sportsman club after the holidays.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by paplinker22 View Post
    I checked out Mars in person (you should too) it seems like a great place. No ridiculous rules that I was able to find from reading their by-laws. I was very impressed with everything. There is also Northside which I am going to check out.

Bill
    When did you go? My problem is that I work nights and weekends. So that limits me to going before work(before 2:30), and Thursday and Friday evenings.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcbowflex View Post
    When did you go? My problem is that I work nights and weekends. So that limits me to going before work(before 2:30), and Thursday and Friday evenings.
    I went this past Sunday...the gate was open and nobody was home so I helped myself. Mars doesn't seem like a bad place but there are two minor turn offs for me. Shooting at the 200 yard line requires the 100 yard shooting position and a skeet range to be closed and vice versa. My Uncle deals with this setup at his gun club and it turns out to be a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Also, the walk to the target backers takes you down into a gully and up a hill to the target. Now I'm a physically fit guy but I don't go to the range to get my heart rate up. Plus that gully is probably a river when it rains.

Bill

also: the rifle ranges are bench only by default. The facilities don't have the space to layout a mat and shoot prone or sitting.
    Last edited by paplinker22; December 7th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.