Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Weatherby Vanguard mods

Hey Guys, I bought a Weatherby Vanguard synthetic blued from walmart a few years back which came with a crappy plastic stock. I didn't know much about stocks at the time. I didnt think weatherby put crap on their rifles. I did find out Howa makes the rifles. I paid about 350 for the rifle and its chambered in 300 WBY mag. Here is what I want to do, but want to get other opinions. I was thinking on getting a drop in timney trigger with 3 position safety and a bell and carlson medalist sporter stock. That would run me about 350 dollars shipped. Do you feel it's worth sinking the money into it? One thing that irks me about the rifle is the caliber. I cannot find 300 wby ammo anywhere, except gander mt. Gander wants 80 dollars for 20 rounds of remington core lokts. That is nuts. I can get weatherby premium online for 75. 300 winchester mag ammo can be had for 40 a box. Walmart even carries it. Thoughts?

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Weatherby Vanguard mods

Get rid of it buy the Weatherby Vanguard S2 it's a sub MOA guarantee, better stock, adjustable trigger and buy it in a non weatherby caliber. I liked the 257 Weatherby but ammo was way high so I bought the 25-06 its a littlte slower but good enough for me. I payed $440 at Reeses for the gun. If you do the mods and try to sell it you will lose a ton.

(Lackawanna County)

I will look into them. One thing I have going for me is reloading. So once I get enough brass, I should be set. I hate selling guns. I always regret it. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with selling firearms. Why keep something that isn't working for you?

If you reload, that is your best for accuracy/cost savings.

The BC stock will be an upgrade to your factory stock.

How does it shoot? Mine's a hunting rifle and shoots sub moa at 100yards stock.

I have a vanguard in 300 win mag (older two position safety). The stock trigger is adjustable and I'm happy with mine although I've been tempted to buy a timney since they only run $100.

The stock is solid on mine, does not flex, but does not free float the barrel. However, the gun shoots sub moa. Although I personally do not like the look of the stock and been tempted to throw on a Boyds, I still don't have the motivation to do so since it shoots fine.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Lackawanna County)

I haven't fired it in quite awhile, so I need to get out with it and see how it does. That said, I did get my first buck with it and I would rather hold onto it.
    The stock seems pretty solid, but I would love a monte carlo stock with a cheek piece. I have an older model 70 winchester with one and I love the way that shoulders and feels. That rifle is chambered in a 308. It was my fathers rifle, so I only take it out in decent weather.

About selling firearms, I sold a browning auto 5 once and I miss that shotgun. It was too heavy to carry, but it was great shooting clays with it. Sold a S&W 44 mag model 29 with a 10 3/8 inch barrel for a semi ruger p89 9mm. Should have kept the 44. I hated the p89 had no regrets selling that one.

Shooting these magnum rounds, what do you do for heat coming off the barrel? I can see a mirage effect in the scope after 3 to 4 rounds. I basically have to wait awhile for the barrel to cool down to shoot again. Any tips?

With this rifle I usually pop off a round or two and wait with the bolt open. A wait being some time bs'ing with others at the range or picking up another firearm and messing with that.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Erie County)

Boyds - not sure of the spelling has some great gun stocks for very reasonable prices if you don't mind doing a little work to get rid of that plastic stock.