Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just feeling old lately.

I don't know if I can explain this properly, but I will try.

The feeling of age.

Just posting this to see if some of you guys ever went through this phase in life.

I generally bounce back pretty quickly from just about any event.
    After Chemo, I was able to joke about things within the hospital and talk about life and death like it was some one else’s Issue. But lately, I wonder if age picked up and maybe I am getting more serious. (God that is scary)

Those who know me, know I don’t hold grudges, I regularly forget names, I take a joke fairly easily unless it’s a bad day, but generally come back laughing about it. I am not high energy, but can generally get through a day with out too many problems.

In the past few months, I have noticed I am more tired, I mean dead beat tired, Sit down and fall asleep tired, (Damn I love that new Lazy boy) …

I have noticed many of the shows I used to like on TV I can either sleep through or simply turn my back to while they are playing.

I would almost think of it as a depression, but I have been depressed before and bounced back from it fairly quickly. I rarely take any thing seriously Many would classify me as a kid when it comes to being Serious…

Depression to me would be giving up on every thing, Right now I am just satisfied with “Status Quo” I haven’t given up on anything other then for economic reasons, but I haven’t added any thing to my life.

I had t contact my ISP this week, I generally would not have a problem with this, but this time it seemed like work, ALMOST like I felt forced to it rather then doing it to fix a problem. I don’t know if you understand what I am thinking here… You know when it’s been a while you have been saying YES Dear to the wife about picking up your socks and finally feel you have to do it because its easier then walking over them in the corner of the bedroom? So you pick it up because it becomes the lesser of things to get through to make you feel good?

I feel tired all the time, I mean I get up feeling tired, I was concerned It was just me, but I spoke to a neighbor who told me he felt the exact same way!

Military by career, he is usually up before the clock rings. Lately, He also finds the couch when he gets home barely eats falls asleep again in bed and finds it hard to get up in the morning. A few weeks ago, when I fell down the front steps of my house, he said he heard my wife scream to make sure I was ok, he apologized that he did not get up, said I heard her ask if you where ok, generally would have been up and out to see that all was ok, but just couldn't’t get out of bed… Like it was in a dream or fuzzy drunk don’t care. Neither of us drinks so that’s not the problem.

Last shoot, I had to literally force my self to go to, not the weather, not the feeling this is going to be a great day, but I can say when I went to wake up my wife to get up and go, it would have been so easy to just get back in the bed after already having slept over 9 hrs. It’s like I have no get up and go. No drive… Not like I nothing to get done, but like I just can’t seem to get things going, I hold off to have other related things to do or other occasions to go to at the same time if I have to get out of the house.

I know some are thinking “Bob are you feeling suicidal” and the answer is no. not like I would hurt my self, but to give an example on this, I am also not sure if I felt like this in 1991 I would have pulled through my cancer. I feel like I have very little energy, and no stamina at all.

I don’t know if it’s the winter we have had, economics, or maybe I just AM getting older and feeling it, but I am so tired of feeling tired. If I occupy my self, I can stay up my regular hours, go to bed at a regular time and get up at the regular time, (not that it wouldn’t be easy to crawl back in the bed) but as soon as I sit, I could just let my self drift off to sleep.
    Any one else in their mid 40 to 50’s feel that way, and if so, what are you doing about it.
    Maybe I need energy vitamins or some thing, maybe a better diet, but I have to shake this and I can’t see what I need to change.

I guess the best way to describe what I feel is “Shock” like after losing some one or a big accident… That numb sort of feeling. Most of you probably think this is a normal paragraph in what I post, but this time its like writing a whole book. I already feel tired. been up 30 min from a 3 hour nap!!!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Just feeling old lately.

Sir I feel for you. I had my first mid life crisis in my early 20s and at 38 rapidly approaching 39 I am on my 15th or so... I do not fear death but i loath getting old. I am most certainly not ready for death so I guess I am gonna have to get used to getting old. Hang in there Frenchy.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds normal to me.

I'd say for the last few years, I have felt about the same.
    It seems to come and go.

I work a fairly physical job. On thurs and fri, we were handing 10foot pieces of 80 lb pipe up 28ftto go through the roof. I worked high so the apprentice didn't have to ( he actually fell at the 8 ft level).

I come home physically beat with little drive and motivation to do anything constructive about the house. My rotators and knees are a constant source of aggravation. I am not as physically strong as i used to be and that pisses me off.

I couch potato or hang on the computer way too long.

On weekends when I should be resting and feeling better, I get these friggen migraines for no apparent reasons

I have to make an effort to not bitch and moan about many issues.

Frenchy, I'm guessing age coupled with Winter blues and maybe age coupled with Winter blues and possibly age coupled with winter blues could be part of the problem.

Hope you snap out of it come springtime. I certainly hope I do.

Good luck and hope you feel better in general.

27timeforbedhand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Maybe you are getting old and this is what happens with age
    No signature required.

I have something similar, but I think I know what's causing it in my case.

A few questions:

1. Have you been putting on weight?
    2. Do you exercise regularly?
    3. How much sleep do you typically get at night?
    4. Do you eat a nutritious breakfast?

I don't need to know, but if any of questions were answered like this:
    1. Yes-weight's rising
    2. No or not enough exercise
    3. Not enough + coffee
    4. No or not enough
    See if you can fix that first before throwing in the towel.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    I have something similar, but I think I know what's causing it in my case.

A few questions:
    1. Have you been putting on weight?
    2. Do you exercise regularly?
    3. How much sleep do you typically get at night?
    4. Do you eat a nutritious breakfast?
    I don't need to know, but if any of questions were answered like this:
    1. Yes-weight's rising
    2. No or not enough exercise
    3. Not enough + coffee
    4. No or not enough
    See if you can fix that first before throwing in the towel.
    Weight is on off again, I generally weigh in arond 235..
    Exercise since my cancer is about as much as getting in and out of the truck. Other then house work, woodworking and stuff like that, about ht emost exercise I do is racing to the door at break to go for a smoke.
    Coffee would go in an IV tube if i could find a good blend, I drink the stuff like it was out of style.
    Breakfast, see the coffee issue, its is generally what I do best, eating before I work only makes me more sleepy. I understnad where your comming from, but this has been my diet the past 30 or so years. Coffee, smoke go home eat supper...
    Maybe I m just getting a bit lazyer then I used to be... Maybe I just enjoy that Lazy boy too much, man I can fall asleep in that chair in 15 minutes even while watching a TV show I really really want to watch.

One of the other symptoms I find is I am getting more critical about people who try to waste my time. IE: phone calls that are trying to sell me some thing, Spam e-mail that try to fool me into reading them, wb pages whre I cant find the info I need, like the damn price of an item!
    Going to a store to hear a clerk complain about his/her personal problems with co-workers rather then scanning my purchase and letting me get home.
    Having some one tell me why their alarm system is faulty because they cant read the damn manual...

I am usually pretty patient, but lately... Hey Im sorry if one of you guys work for Verizon, I gave them a ear full not long ago because he could not understand simple english!
    Last edited by Frenchy; March 15th, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Frenchy, my man, have a nice long talk with your doctor. To me, it sounds like maybe your body isn't producing enough testosterone. That can be a BIG life changer. I know a few people who were experiencing the very same symptoms as yourself, and it turns out, they just had low testosterone levels. Ask the doc about it. It ain't too serious, and can be fixed with a pill. Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like depression to me, and believe me I know what it sounds, feels, acts like. Make an appointment with a doctor. I know the things that no one wants to hear in your place. Drop off the coffee some, get the patch and stop smoking and move more. If that is going to the range or going out for a walk, get some more excersize and take care of yourself. Get a good multi-vitamin, you are getting older, we all are, as I typed this message I got older, as you read it so did you. It's what you do with your time that is what matters, you beat something that is EXTREMELY tough most people reading this will never know what that is like. I just posted a short blip on my blog about my fight with Guillian Barre Syndrome, and some links to some info on the illness. Alot of people who have had/have the illness can't walk or have died, I am running 5k a day. Everything is possible, if YOU make it possible. Re-Claim your life but don't be a martyr, get some help in your fight, you wouldn't fight cancer on your own, don't do it with depression. Email me/PM me if you need someone to BS with or just vent to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Breakfast, see the coffee issue, its is generally what I do best, eating before I work only makes me more sleepy. I understnad where your comming from, but this has been my diet the past 30 or so years.
    Having a good, light breakfast definitely helps. Not something 'heavy' like eggs or sausage -- that can definitely make one sleepy. Just a bowl of cereal, maybe a piece of fruit -- something like that.

Regarding sleep -- quality of sleep definitely matters, not just quantity. REM sleep is the most important.

Sadly, that sounds like me quite often, almost every day. I assume mine is related only to laziness, but I'm always feeling tired. I slept 10 hours last night and took an hour and a half nap today. I don't know if being lazy can cause tiredness.

I started taking cheap vitamins, and though they're cheap, they seem to help. Eat better, I realized I never eat right and is partly a source of my sleepiness. Excercise. I started doing it a lot, and its helped a good amount. It puts a lot more stamina in you. I stopped because I got sick for a while, but have started back up. Thats probably the most useful thing I've done.

Hopefully you just have winter blues and it'll get gone by spring. Try that stuff, it'll help at least to some degree
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast