Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Powder Dispenser recommendation

I need a recommendation for a powder dispenser. I am currently using a RCBS Uniflow powder measure, a RCBS 505 scale and a powder trickler. I am currently loading for my AR and this takes too long using this method. I use the powder measure to drop a load close to 25.0 grains and trickle the remaining load in. I use this method for .243, 22-250, and .308 also, but do not load that many so it is not a problem. I have a Dillon for my pistols loads. I know that RCBS, Lyman and Hornady all make electronic powder dispenser. But I need some idea which of these works the best. I have also thought about just using the Dillon, but I like the way my loads shoot, when I measure them.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Powder Dispenser recommendation

You don't say what powder you are using but I'm switching away from the 'big stick' stuff like IMR 4350 to short and smooth stuff like TAC. I have a RCBS uniflow, TAC, H335, and Reloder 7 measure like water and never need topping off. IMR 4320 and IMR 4895 are nearly as smooth.

Throw and go is my motto.

Dale

(Bucks County)

The question is are you loading for absolute accuracy or basic shooting?

If you want top notch accuracy (sub 1") then you probably want to go with one of the electronic setups. I've used the RCBS set and it works fine.

If you are doing general shooting you can get into 1" type performance (assuming other factors are there) with a regular powder measure such as the Hornady Lock and Load measure which I prefer. I have some loads that will consistently get down to 0.75". ( I do work on several other factors such as tuning bullet/land distances etc.)

(Montgomery County)

I have a Lyman 1200 DPS 3. It works fine with all the powders I drop. Considering I reload for the 5.7x28 and double check everything so I don't blow up my pistol, it is always exact or .1 within the programmed weight. It was $100 cheaper than the RCBS. Check around, all 3 big names are on sale with the major retailers.

(Westmoreland County)

Ive been a Hornady LNL powder measure for a long time now like since they came out with them . It will be within 2/10 with most normal size stick powders and has micrometer adjustments on the drum stem. I have no reason to want another one and would highly recommend it

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Ive been a Hornady LNL powder measure for a long time now like since they came out with them . It will be within 2/10 with most normal size stick powders and has micrometer adjustments on the drum stem. I have no reason to want another one and would highly recommend it
    Mine is actually a Pacific which was bought by Hornady. Is going on 40 years old and going strong. Very solid design. I sold my RCBS Charge Master to my brother but he got tired of the complexity and at my suggestion bought a new Hornady LNL.

(Washington County)

I am using ARCOMP powder and want 1" MOA out of my M&P15. I get 3/4 out of ny deer rifle and 1/4" out of my varmint rig. I just would like somthing faster than throw weigh and trickle. Thanks for the input.

(Washington County)

I really like my RCBS chargemaster. I use it on rifle loads and hollow point pistol loads. I use a uniflow for my pistol plinking ammo.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Armstrong County)

I use the RCBS Chargemaster for all of my single stage loads. Once your charges are set in the system, swapping out charges is as simple as scrolling through until you find the one you need. Im sure other brands are the same fashion, this is the only one i've used.
    Every once in a while it will spit an extra piece or two out and give an over charge. This is mainly with large "stick" powder. Just pay attention and you are good to go.

Charging times are cut way down. After owning this, there is no way i will scoop/trickle charge 2-3k rounds of 22-250 and 220Swift ammo for prairie dogs.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Somerset County)

I've never seen AR-COMP but since Alliant's description doesn't mention 'meters well' like it does for Reloder 7 and others, I'd guess it doesn't meter well. As mentioned, I'd switch powders to something that does.

My Tikka in 7mm-08 will do .6 regularly with thrown charges of IMR 4320, my son's Rossi single shot in 223 would do .75 with thrown charges of H335.

Lots of choices nowadays, way more than when I started reloading.

Dale