Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Revolver Recommendations Please

I am looking for a revolver as an every day carry. I've got two of them already, but both have long barrels preventing concealment. My requirements (though I am flexible on some):

- .38 Special. Pretty firm on this. I have a nice old S&W and I like the cartridge. Plus I don't want to start collecting another brass size ( I also save my 9mm, and several rifle calibers).

- DA/SA. Not an absolute, but it is what I am familiar with.

- Snubbie. I have a 5" barrel already. I want one that is comfortable to conceal. I plan on using an IWB holster.

- Sights. Do they even matter on a 2" barrel? Both my current revolvers just have "trough" rear sights and I can shoot both of them pretty straight.

- Grip. I want something I can get all my fingers around, if possible. This might knock out the J-frames.

Any other thoughts you might have would be helpful.
    Last edited by Remington788; November 27th, 2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: I double checked, my K-frame barrel is 5", not 6"

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Revolver Recommendations Please

The j-frames tend to come with short grips but you can always install a larger one. That's one of the nice things about revolvers.

The grip of the gun is what sticks out and hinders concealability, not the barrel or slide length Which is why, as mentioned above, snubbies usually have a smaller grip. I know what yer gettin at though.

Maybe something in the 3"-4" barrel length might be worth a look.

3" 686
    Last edited by brownman; November 27th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I do like the K frame. Just had not really thought of that for conceal.
    You do get more shots though.

(Philadelphia County)

The 686 is an L-frame. A lot depends on how much weight / bulk you will tolerate. The J-frame airweight is one end of the spectrum. You do get some pay off for the extra weight though, such as:

- Full length extractor. This helps get empties out first time. The J-frame 640 (steel version) has this, as do the larger frames.

- Sights, some models have adjustable / replaceable sights. I really like to see three dots, especially in the dark, and I don't get that on all revolvers.

- Better trigger (IMO). I like the trigger on my K-frame a lot. It is also easier to reach for my fingers.

- Easier to get a speed loader in. The J-frame cylinder doesn't swing out as far.

- And of course the extra round.

But all that is worthless if the gun is home in the safe instead of in your holster.

(Monroe County)

Rossi model 462 or if you prefer blud guns Rossi 461

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I do like the K frame. Just had not really thought of that for conceal.
    You do get more shots though.
    A 3" K-frame is easy to conceal so long as you don't wear skin tight clothing.

My everyday carry piece is a Rossi 720 44spl which is pretty much on par with a S&W K-frame - no issues concealing at all.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

I've owned (and still own) several small frame .38 revolvers.

I have a Taurus Mod. 85 UL with 2.5" barrel. Great trigger (esp in SA), but typical of the short snubbies, a bit hard to shoot well due to light weight and the short extractor rod is annoying. The factory grips are very good compromise and comfortable.

Hands down my favorite small frame is my 3" barrel Ruger SP 101. Weight is about 28 oz. The factory grips are okay out of the box, but I put a set of Pachmeyer Compacts and they make it awesome to shoot (about on par with one of my K frame S&W revolvers). Yes, the Ruger is a .357, but mine is normally loaded with +P .38s anyway. What I like most about the SP 101 is that it is a pleasant gun to spend an afternoon plinking with (unlike most J frame type guns), but the extra sight length and mass make it feel like a bigger gun. I'm not a huge fan of Rugers in general, but this one is a winner.

Third choice is the Rossi Model 68/88. This small frame in 3" weighs in about 24 oz, and has full length extractor. The one I owed (sold to buy Ruger) was like a scaled down S&W K frame. The skimpy factory grips can be upgraded with the excellent Pachmeyer Compacts as well. While the action on mine was not up the the level of the better gun companies, it was okay and I'd still have it if I hadn't bought the Ruger.

(York County)

My choice would be an S&W Model 19 (blue) or 66 (Stainless) with the 2 1/2" barrel. I love snubbies and this is my favorite - silky smooth action, adjustable sites. There are so many different grips available that you can chose what fits your hand the best. You won't be disappointed in this gun and don't discount their accuracy. They are deadly accurate out to 25 yards.

(Monroe County)

I have a S&W 638 bodyguard. Great gun and only 15oz. SA/DA with a shrouded hammer/no snag. I got rid of my Ruger SP101 which was awesome but heavy.
    The only criteria the S&W doesn't meet is grip but that's easy and cheap to change.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast