Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Case prep machine - Lyman or RCBS?

Ha ha, here is a mod starting a thread where he might have to issue an infraction. But hey, you guys in this section are usually pretty well behaved. Does anyone have strong feelings over which is better and why? The price is about the same for either. Most of my stuff is RCBS green already, so it would match my decor if I got that one. But seriously, is there any real difference between the two?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Case prep machine - Lyman or RCBS?

Both appear to do all of the same things.

The Lyman looks to be about $10 less, and has a couple more bins to hold things.

RCBS tends to have made a better name in the industry.

I personally would have to flip a coin to decide.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Is this what you're talking about? For 100.00 it doesn't sound bad. Just dont like the wobble, and using you're hand to hold the shell. If you have a small drill press you can make you're own. I made one for the fifty. Try trimming 100 cases by hand in one night

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Is this what you're talking about? For 100.00 it doesn't sound bad. Just dont like the wobble, and using you're hand to hold the shell. If you have a small drill press you can make you're own. I made one for the fifty. Try trimming 100 cases by hand in one night
    That's one of them. I wondered about the runout too. I actually have a large Powermatic variable speed DP, although the lowest speed on it is 400 rpm. I did not think of that. I'd be interested to see some more details on what you did. Heck, I have two wood lathes that might be adaptable now that I am thinking about it. Both are variable speed down to 50 rpm on the big one or zero on the little one.

You can also attach a cordless drill to the end of a hand trimmer.. Heres my setup. Its crude but it works...

Or you could do this.....(not me or my setup)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    You can also attach a cordless drill to the end of a hand trimmer.. Heres my setup. Its crude but it works...
    Thanks. Doesn't setting the stop nut on the quill drive you nuts though? Old drill presses have a very fine adjustment which also holds well. The Chinese stuff that is available today, even for the good ones, all seem to have a coarse threaded adjustment nut which always seems to loosen up on me easily.

(Allegheny County)

I went this route for case trimming. It's pretty slick.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...-case-trimmer/

I just chuck up the deburring tools below in the same cordless drill for the chamfer process.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/394...rring-tool-set
    Toujours prêt

(Beaver County)

After processing 1000's of shells I can say that the RCBS that I have is a good machine. Although now I find it gathering more dust brass shavings. I don't need to clean primer pockets because I use a wet stainless media. I don't need to chamfer or debur because my trimmer does that. (Thank you RCBS Pro cutter and it the Giraud Trimmer). Out of 5 available stations on that machine the only one I use now is the flash hole deburring tool or a primer pocket uniformer.
    If you have a lot of military cases and need to remove crimped primers this tool is a life saver with a crimp removal tool.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Thanks. Doesn't setting the stop nut on the quill drive you nuts though? Old drill presses have a very fine adjustment which also holds well. The Chinese stuff that is available today, even for the good ones, all seem to have a coarse threaded adjustment nut which always seems to loosen up on me easily.
    If that plastic ring was made from metal, it would be fine. Setting the nuts to the right position isnt bad. If yours comes loose, use some blue loctite.
    After doing so many cases, i get the feel for it. I mic them every once in awhile to see how they are. + or - a thousandth doesnt bother me, I'm only plinking.
    What sucks is, i have to full length size every time (semi-auto). If i were shooting out of a bolt gun i would only have to neck size.

Like ducatiron said, the girard trimmer is the way to go if you have the funds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast