Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default I am flying soon with firearms need advice.

I am flying out of philadelphia on dec 28th. I am going to visit a buddy whom I served the military with. I would like to bring like four rifles and six handguns. I am looking for a case that tsa will accept. I have found a plano trunk for cheap but you can slightly lift the far corner with locks on it. I don't know what tsa will accpet in the way of cases and no one from the airline can give me a definnitive answer. Also when i try calling tsa I get now where. any help would be great. I am trying to spend under 200.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I am flying soon with firearms need advice.

Depending on the OAL of your rifles, you might get off cheaper buying one of those college dorm type foot lockers for relatively cheap and lining it with egg crate foam. They are secure enough to take the abuse of baggage handlers and prevent anyone frame peeking inside. They are also common enough that it doesn't hint there maybe something of great value inside like an expensive gun case.

(Lackawanna County)

i thikn your price range and number of rifles you want to carry are going to cripple your search.

I highly recommend you buy whatever insurance the airline offers. On average airlines provide no more than $200 for a "lost" piece of luggage and that is regardless of the contents.

I asked this question last month at the United counter at the Harrisburg airport because I planned on visiting a gun show while in Missouri. The ticket agents were very helpful and told me the only requirement was ammo had to be in a seperate locked box within my suitcase (like an ammo can). Firearms had to be locked but ready for inspection to verify they are unloaded if asked. The inspection is done at the counter in your presence so once complete it is locked and remains that way.

According to the United agent that helped me... "if the ticket counter agent accepts the container TSA won't question it. TSA is concerned with the stability/safety of the contents but not the outer container".

If I were you I'd go to the Philadelphia airport and actually speak to the folks working the counter for whatever airline you are taking. They are the ones that you will have to work with and they will have the final say on accepting your firearms.

Lastly, Hardigg makes most of the cases we currently use for the military. They are very good quality but can be pricey.

(Luzerne County)

first place you should have checked, http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all your help. I have called the airport twice and no one can give me for certain answer. I might just have to bite the bullet and drop 300 on the pelican 1740 off of amazon. I am just worried about the cheap trunks making both trips.