Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Aluminum FMJ 9mm ammo: Need Reviews

Looking to buy bulk ammo in the near future. Since I don't reload, I was thinking of getting aluminum cased ammo to save a couple bucks. Anyone notice any difference in accuracy etc. when using aluminum vs. brass? I'm looking at CCI Blazer aluminum 9mm 115gr FMJ. I've heard good things about Blazer, specifically the brass ones. Like I said though, I don't reload so I'm wondering if aluminum is the best bet. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rush2112; November 25th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Aluminum FMJ 9mm ammo: Need Reviews

My Sig 228 has never had an issue with the CCI ammo. Actually it digests anything it is fed, from brown bear to Cor-Bon. Accuracy with Blazer is fine. You should be happy shooting it, as I never met anyone who had an issue with it.

(Jefferson County)

Blazer ammo has been around for countless years. The only difference really is the metal used to make the case. Velocities, pressures, etc are all around standard specs like brass cased ammo.

Cases themselves have little to do with accuracy, all they do is hold everything together in a neat package, then act as a gasket when it is fired.

They use aluminum because it is cheaper than brass. ...they are going for value over quality, so keep that in mind. They wont be "match grade" ammo, but will go bang, push a bullet to typical velocities, and pretty much mimic brass cased ammo of the same load. Some of the more powerful cartridges aren't loaded to their full potential though, like the .357mag and 44mag because aluminum tends to be more brittle than brass, and make crack open under pressure. Where as brass will expand and stretch.

I've been using it for range ammo since the 1980's. Not one problem. I presently have it in .45acp, .44mag, 44spl, 38spl, 9mm, and 32acp in my gun closet.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I used to use a lot of blazer when I had my P95. I was a little nervous the first time I used it, but never had a problem at all. I would have no problems recommending it to others. It's not match grade ammo, but it will work just fine as plinking/practice ammo.

(Beaver County)

I have used over 14k rounds with maybe 3 bad primers. That's a far better record than Winchester White Box has turned in for me. Blazer Aluminum is good to go for training and practice in my book.

(Berks County)

Thanks everyone. Sounds like maybe I'd be better off going with Blazer brass instead. The price difference isn't that dramatically different.

(Northampton County)

It sounds like this is not going to your question at the moment.

But don't use aluminum cased ammo with open bolt firearms, unless you convince yourself otherwise.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    It sounds like this is not going to your question at the moment.

But don't use aluminum cased ammo with open bolt firearms, unless you convince yourself otherwise.
    Why's that?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Why's that?
    Open bolt firearms are especially subject to out of battery failures. I'm just a novice that reads and buys from machinegun manufacturers that have been doing this stuff from way back or making the latest stuff and there are some things I take on faith.

In other words, a simple heads-up, check for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like maybe I'd be better off going with Blazer brass instead. The price difference isn't that dramatically different.
    I'm a little confused by this statement. You asked about peoples experiences with blazer alum cases, got several good recommendations, and then decided to go brass instead? Nothing wrong with that, but why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast