Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New guy

(Montgomery County)

Default New guy

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

Hunted heavily with my Grandfather, from as early as I remember till college,then I stopped. I moved out of the state, he passed on, and I was left a few guns of his, and now moved back. Recently I've been thinking about taking his mark x 7mm remington, deer hunting. The gun hasn't been shot in at least 5 years. I haven't hunted in 15 years. I took a safety course as a little kid. I don't have ammo.

I've been looking at ranges to shoot it, near the main line, but most seem private.

So, what in your opinion do I need to do to get to the point where I can safely and confidently hunt deer?

Thanks

Halfway between Here and There, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: New guy

Get comfortable with the weapon.

Realize in the five-county Philly area it's shotgun only.

Join a club that has a range...there are several in Bucks but there may be some in Delco closer. I grew up in Delco but was never aware of ranges there.

Mine is Bucks Co. Fish and game

http://www.bcfg.org

Lots of smart people in this forum, and I amd NOT one of them. As inexperienced as you are! Visit regularly and you'll learn a lot. Also recommend

http://www.huntingpa.com

Good luck.

Carl
    Last edited by bobcat220; November 25th, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Kinda depends on how comfy you are with the basics, firearm safety, legal licensed hunter?

I don't know Montco ranges, but there is an sgl range in French creek in Berks county

If you are legal, I would say pull out the rifle, pull it apart give it a good thorough cleaning, inspection and functions check. Spend and afternoon at the range zeroing and getting reaquainted then go for it.

Hunting with your grandfathers rifle can be a great experience.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gallagherff View Post

So, what in your opinion do I need to do to get to the point where I can safely and confidently hunt deer?

Thanks
    YES! Don't risk going into the woods with a firearm you're not comfortable with and confident with.

That being said there are a number of private ranges that you could look into joining. I belong to Kimberton Fish and Game www.kfga.net.

Dues are $100/yr and you need to have a sponsor but it's a good club and the members are all usually very nice. If you would like to find out more PM me and let me know.

In the meantime you are very limited on ranges unless you know someone who is a member at one of the local ranges. Your best bet, as said above, is the public range at SGL43. You'll either need a Pa Game Commission range card or a hunting license to shoot there.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you for your responses. For the moment, I think I'll plan a trip out to SG43, only about an hour away after purchasing either a range card or hunting license. Best to be safe.

I found http://www.dcfsa.org/ which is somewhat nearby and I recall my grandfather used to shoot here http://holmesburgfishandgame.com/

Lastly, I'll need to buy some ammo, don't want to get taken, any suggestions on an OK place to buy in lower montco?