Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default While at the range...And then back at home...

Today I took one my best friends to the local Rod and Gun club. He just got his hunters license, and wanted (through me forcing his hand) to test out the shotgun he was going to use. I decided that I should also test out the shotgun I'd be using when I hunt around here.

His gun: Marlin Slugmaster 512 in 12 gauge.

Mine: Remington Model 870 in 12 gauge.

His had standard iron sights, and mine was my dad's shotgun for when he could use it. He had put a scope on it for deer hunting.

The local range closes at 5pm, and it was 4:15pm when we got there. So we were wanting to get some rounds put through them, and see how off the sights were, if any, before we could no longer use the range. He fired a couple rounds through his, and they both hit the target in where would be kill shots for deer. I decided that his shotgun was fine, and didn't need any adjustments. He continued to hit the targets with consistency.

I locked and loaded two shells. Sighted in, what should have been a clear shot, on the center of the target. *Bang* The round landed almost a foot to the right and a couple inches low. So I worked the action, and thought it was just my lousy trigger pulls. *Bang* Again I had the sights on the center, and the second round landed right next the first. I thought "Dang, I knew the shotgun has not been used in around 5 years, but the scope shouldn't have gotten that off from it just sitting the cabinet."

I sat down on the bench, and turned the gun so I could access the scope adjustments. I reached up, and touched the knob for the left to right adjustment on the scope. As soon as my finger touched the knob it fell off the scope. My thoughts "Crap! My dad is going to have a fit when I tell him. This will be the third scope we will have to replace." (I do not abuse scopes, or mess with them. We have just had some lousy luck with buying scopes. Also, three scopes in five+ years doesn't seem that bad to me. )

At this point it was 4:45pm, and we wanted to leave before our time ran out. So we gathered up the targets, and the shells. When I got home, and carried the gun into my dad's office. The conversation was as follows

Me: "Hey Dad, so that scope is off on the shotgun."
    Dad: "Oh?"
    Me: "Yeah, the shots were landing way to the right of where I was aiming. And then when I went to adjust the scope, the knob snapped off."
    *I showed him the gun and the scope*
    Dad: "Dang. Well that's a shame. Guess you'll need to use PopPop's shotgun." (Same model, but he spent more money on the scope and the finish.)
    Dad: "Well, when you get the chance, remove the mounts so the fixed sights can be used. And we'll get a new scope when we stop at Cabela's or Gander Mtn."

So now the shotgun sits awaiting de-scoping, and cleaning.

*Legal Notice* My friend is over 18 years of old (and was acting as my legal guardian per my parents wishes, thus providing the "adult" supervision required by law for anyone under the age of 18 to use a firearm), and we arrived and left the range by use of truck (since open carrying the guns either on our backs or in the cases would be breaking the law since PA is still in a SoE), where the shotguns were unloaded, left with chambers open, inside cases, and ammo was stored separately(thus following the PGC laws about transporting long guns). All gun safety rules, state and federal laws were followed during this activity. My friend and I both have memberships to the club (Such membership allows use to the range anytime during normal operating hours.). {This is to appease anyone that wants to find holes in my story where I might not have clearly worded something/I didn't include something into the post, and wants to hold it against me.}
    Last edited by BlueTrooper; November 25th, 2012 at 02:19 AM.
    Cyber-Security, Physical Security, Personal Protection. All as important as the others.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: While at the range...And then back at home...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrooper View Post
    *Legal Notice* My friend is over 18 years of old (thus providing the "adult" supervision required by law for anyone under the age of 18 to use a firearm)...
    I dunno, you didn't specify that your friend was so I'm not sure your disclaimer is good enough.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I dunno, you didn't specify that your friend was so I'm not sure your disclaimer is good enough.
    Good point, you make. It shall be changed, at once!
    Last edited by BlueTrooper; November 25th, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
    Cyber-Security, Physical Security, Personal Protection. All as important as the others.

(Butler County)

Sorry for your luck. 3 scopes in 5 years seems kinda messed up. I've had the same scope on my deer rifle for over 25 years. The one on my dads rifle is over 40 years old. Good luck Monday, I gotta work.

(Lycoming County)

Cheap scopes... One of them was a cheapy 3 to 9 zoom scope, which was put onto a Winchester 94. Due to the ejection, the scope had to be rotated. While sighting it in last year, the internal parts got stuck at 9 power. After missing a shot on a beautiful buck, and hitting the tree next to him, I got a new scope for it. Which I just tested and its spot on at 100 yards. I've got some other scopes in the cabinet so I will need to check them and see if they will work at the Rem 870.

Heh, sorry to hear that you have to work. Freshman year of highschool, I didn't have off for Monday, but I took it anyway. Next year, we were all given Monday off. I guess the school noticed such a drop that they decided to let everyone have first day off.

(Monroe County)

That's why I test a few weeks in advance and my 3-9x was stuck on 3 I had time to R/R the scope and get it sighted in.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

BlueTrooper,
    Shotguns deliver quite a bit of recoil as I am sure you know. A good quality shotgun scope, which by the way provides you with several more inches of eye relief, will stand up to the rigors of being mounted on a shotgun. Good luck hunting tomorrow and be safe.
    Jules