Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Trapping question

Just curious as to why trapping season and small game seasons overlap. Alot of problems with dogs getting caught in traps while hunting small game. This seems like a no brainer that trapping should not be allowed in small game season.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Trapping question

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    Just curious as to why trapping season and small game seasons overlap. Alot of problems with dogs getting caught in traps while hunting small game. This seems like a no brainer that trapping should not be allowed in small game season.
    Last i checked traps are not baited with bird scent. I am a bird dog hunter and have never had my dog caught in a trap. If she was I would release her and continue hunting.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Wayne County)

My dog has been caught twice by coil spring traps set along edges of fields for coyotes. I have talked to other bird hunters with similar problems.

(Wayne County)

What we have here is a failure to communicate!

Here's a novel thought. Whether you're trapping or you're hunting small game, why don't you ask the owner of the property if there will be anyone else using the fields. If the answer is "yes" you may want to reconsider your use of the field during that time to prevent conflict. And just so the dog owners here don't think I'm ranking on them, this goes for the trappers, too.

I have a farm locally where I've been given permission to set some traps and I have a couple of sets for coon/fox/coyote and a couple just for fox/coyote. When I got the permission to trap there, I asked the owner if anyone hunted small game there, because I knew that there could be a dog issue on my coyote sets. He didn't know but gave me the name and number of the guys that also had permission to hunt the land. So I called them and they confirmed that no, none of them hunted the property with dogs. Easy-peasy. Potential conflict resolved.

Further, since I know that those guys will be hunting the area during rifle season for deer and I don't want to walk through the middle of their hunt to check my traps, I pulled all of my traps at this site and will set them again after deer season.

Each side of this conflict has the responsibility to minimize or avoid conflicts with other users of the resource. Not taking that responsibility seriously is being mentally lazy.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    What we have here is a failure to communicate!

Here's a novel thought. Whether you're trapping or you're hunting small game, why don't you ask the owner of the property if there will be anyone else using the fields. If the answer is "yes" you may want to reconsider your use of the field during that time to prevent conflict. And just so the dog owners here don't think I'm ranking on them, this goes for the trappers, too.

I have a farm locally where I've been given permission to set some traps and I have a couple of sets for coon/fox/coyote and a couple just for fox/coyote. When I got the permission to trap there, I asked the owner if anyone hunted small game there, because I knew that there could be a dog issue on my coyote sets. He didn't know but gave me the name and number of the guys that also had permission to hunt the land. So I called them and they confirmed that no, none of them hunted the property with dogs. Easy-peasy. Potential conflict resolved.

Further, since I know that those guys will be hunting the area during rifle season for deer and I don't want to walk through the middle of their hunt to check my traps, I pulled all of my traps at this site and will set them again after deer season.

Each side of this conflict has the responsibility to minimize or avoid conflicts with other users of the resource. Not taking that responsibility seriously is being mentally lazy.
    Sorry I wasn't clear Gamelands not private property. It is almost impossible to avoid these traps when you don't know where they are set. Just because they are not bird scented doesn't mean crap. Dogs will still inadvertently step in them while hunting especially when they are set on the edge of stocked fields.

(Wayne County)

Sorry I wasn't clear Gamelands not private property. It is almost impossible to avoid these traps when you don't know where they are set. Just because they are not bird scented doesn't mean crap. Dogs will still inadvertently step in them while hunting especially when they are set on the edge of stocked fields.
    I was wondering if that might be the case. I can understand your concern, then. Although it is perfectly lawful to trap on game lands, I personally think that it's irresponsible to set traps for coyotes next to a food plot that you know is stocked w/ pheasant and will be hunted by dogs. And I agree, it doesn't have to be bird scented to catch a dog. If you're luring your trap properly for coyote, it's set to catch a dog as well.

About the only thing that I can think to recommend is, if your dog does get caught in a trap, take a look at the ID tag that should be attached to it and get the name or ID# of the trapper and see if you can find out from him the areas that he's set traps so that you can try to keep the dogs away from those areas the next time.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Berks County)

There is no reason to not have the seasons overlap. It would make no sense to close small game during trapping season to protect hunting dogs. The owners of the dogs know when trapping season is open. If you are concerned about your dogs getting in traps, leave them at home during trapping season, or don't go out at all. No reason to cut the season short for the rest of us.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

This seems like a no brainer that trapping should not be allowed in small game season.
    Perhaps it should be worded differently:

This seems like a no brainer that small game hunting should not be allowed in trapping season.

But seriously, I’m not sure where the problem lies. As R.W.J. stated, you simply release the dog and continue hunting. If your dog gets caught, its actually the trapper who takes the hit – his trap is now sprung and won’t be catching any fur.