Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can you help me decide?

I am looking to get a 9mm so I can do more target shooting, much more affordable than my glock 23.

This would be mainly for fun at the range and probably a gun to sit in the drawer at home at the ready.

I am looking at either glock 19 which should be pretty much the same as my current 23, a sig 2022, or a sig 229. Best price seems to be the 2022, followed by the glock then the 229, but I just cant decide. While I wouldnt mind having another glock, I would sorta feel cheated as it is basically the same gun as my 23! I am thinking 2022 for the win... good choice? Anything else yinz would suggest?

Also, Is there a conversion for the glock 23 to make a 9mm? Im a glock guy, but not THAT much of a glock guy. Thanks!
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; November 24th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Can you help me decide?

Lone Wolf will sell you a conversion barrel. Personally, I haven't found them to be reliable enough for me... certainly not to use it as a defensive gun. You can also buy a Glock 19 top end (slide / barrel / etc.) and pair it with GLock 19 mags. However, this option will frequently cost you almost as much as a whole gun.

I haven't played around with the polymer SIG that much so I can't compare. I do, however, love my P229 (actually, I have two of them). Be aware that you'll have to go to the range to practice so you can handle the difference in grip angle, control placement, trigger / action, etc. if you go back and forth between the Glock and the SIG.

If you want to get the Glock 19, maybe you should sell the Glock 23?

(Dauphin County)

Well, since you're a Glock guy, I won't suggest a CZ75, since that would put you in a dilemma, with having to sell your Glock and pick up a CZ in .40 S&W, so that you wouldn't have that feeling that you are being cheated every time you leave the house with your Glock.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Lawrence County)

I'm not a glock guy but my train of thought leans to the Glock 19, as it functions are identical to the 17. If you want something different my loyalties lie with CZ. The P07 Duty is a great choice & priced in line w/ the Sig SP202. Get what feels right and points naturally for you. Good luck & let us know what you get !!

I keep all the guns I buy for life. (unless they rust away or are stolen) No trading for this guy once purchased...

I think I would continue to carry my glock 23 daily for the .40 load and the reliability (not getting into a glock vs anything else arguement I just have trusted and carried it for years)

This 9mm like I said would be just a plinking gun for fun and drills.

Just got off the phone with my local gun shop.

They are having a sale on Sigs, 10% off today, and will match any other price. Looks like I will printing out a few flyers offline (cause their price is a bit steeper) and head on down!

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    I keep all the guns I buy for life. (unless they rust away or are stolen) No trading for this guy once purchased...

I think I would continue to carry my glock 23 daily for the .40 load and the reliability (not getting into a glock vs anything else arguement I just have trusted and carried it for years)

This 9mm like I said would be just a plinking gun for fun and drills.
    If it's for "fun and drills" only (you mentioned previously having it "at the ready", which lead me to believe that it would be used for defense), then a conversion barrel is a possibility. But like I said, I had issues trying to get it to work 100% in my Glock 35, even after swapping the extractor and ejector. For range use to save $ on ammo, it would probably work.

If it were up to me, I'd go with the 229 (or 228); but that's just me. It would be a lot more money over the other two options... which is kind of counter to the idea of saving money on ammo. but if you're looking for an excuse to get something different, I say go for it.

Well whats wrong with having a sig 2022 or a 229 "at the ready" in a drawer at the house? It will go bang wont it? When I wanna take it to the range I can do so as well for much cheaper than my EDC .40

I'll muddy the waters a bit - take a look at a stoeger cougar. It was made from the tooling from the Berreta cougar. About the size of a sig 229 but a lot cheaper. Shoots great & is well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    Well whats wrong with having a sig 2022 or a 229 "at the ready" in a drawer at the house? It will go bang wont it? When I wanna take it to the range I can do so as well for much cheaper than my EDC .40
    I think you're missing my whole point. A conversion barrel in your Glock is not something I would want to depend on for self-defense. Anything else is fine, and if you re-read what I said you'll see that I didn't say otherwise. I'm not quite sure why this turned confrontational.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast