Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default Questions about carrying under 21

Is it legal to carry a handgun concealed or open under 21? And what are the penalties if it is illegal?

I'm a 20 year old female and I live in an area where there are lots of drug using/dealing, robbing, etc going on. I'm almost afraid to go out of the house alone. I have a handgun my grandfather gave to me and I was just curious if it was illegal to carry it in my purse? Thank you!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Questions about carrying under 21

In PA, outside of Philly and not during a state of emergency, it is legal for someone 18+ to OC a firearm without a LTCF

A LTCF or permit from a reciprocal state is required to CC or carry in a vehicle.

A permit from ANY state can be used to carry in a vehicle.

During a SoE and in Philly (City of 1st Class), a LTCF is required.

Short answer... No, since we are in a SoE, you need a LTCF
    Last edited by BimmerJon; November 24th, 2012 at 12:53 PM.

(Jefferson County)

18 is the lawful age to possess a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR). That means you can carry it openly afoot without a license. However, during a declared emergency(like now) and in a City of the First Class(Philly) a LTCF is required to carry openly or concealed.

To transport a "firearm" in a vehicle requires a LTCF or a license/permit from ANY other state. It doesn't matter if the handgun is unloaded or loaded, just having a handgun in, on, or on top of a vehicle requires a license.

To qualify for a LTCF you must be 21.

If you are going to walk everywhere, and aren't in Philly, and there isn't an emergency - you can carry openly without a license.

The easiest work-around is to get a Maine carry permit. Maine and PA have a reciprocal agreement to honor each others licenses. Maine issues to nonresidents, and to people under 21 years of age.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by bcampbell2435 View Post
    I have a handgun my grandfather gave to me and I was just curious if it was illegal to carry it in my purse? Thank you!
    Being only 20 years old, yes, it is illegal.

Last three sentences in knight's post will cover you, but I seem to recall that one judge didn't honor it (might be mistaken).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    18 is the lawful age to possess a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR). That means you can carry it openly afoot without a license. However, during a declared emergency(like now) and in a City of the First Class(Philly) a LTCF is required to carry openly or concealed.

To transport a "firearm" in a vehicle requires a LTCF or a license/permit from ANY other state. It doesn't matter if the handgun is unloaded or loaded, just having a handgun in, on, or on top of a vehicle requires a license.

To qualify for a LTCF you must be 21.

If you are going to walk everywhere, and aren't in Philly, and there isn't an emergency - you can carry openly without a license.

The easiest work-around is to get a Maine carry permit. Maine and PA have a reciprocal agreement to honor each others licenses. Maine issues to nonresidents, and to people under 21 years of age.
    So If I were to apply for a Maine permit, during any time in PA I can carry concealed? Even during state of emergency?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bcampbell2435 View Post
    So If I were to apply for a Maine permit, during any time in PA I can carry concealed? Even during state of emergency?
    Yes. Reciprocally honored licenses/permits fall under 6106(b).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I don't believe a Maine permit will cover CC in PA. Carry in vehicle, yes... But not outside one.

I remember reading the Maine permit reciprocity only extends to a person in Maine

NH is what OP should get?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    I don't believe a Maine permit will cover CC in PA. Carry in vehicle, yes... But not outside one.

I remember reading the Maine permit reciprocity only extends to a person in Maine

NH is what OP should get?
    PA law exempts the license/permit so long as an agreement is place to honor Maine's license. 6106(b) doesn't take into account residency.

For the OP to get a NH permit, he/she would have to have a license from any other state first. ...sorta like PA, except any state will suffice for NH where as PA requires a license from that non-resident's home state if they issue.

Proof enough would be with a "handgun" and "firearm" argument. Even though PA doesn't define "handgun", and the agreement is for "handguns" only, a Maine licensee could still conceal a "firearm" as defined under PA law in PA with his Maine license.

An agreement to honor licenses is what matters to 6106, not so much the worded details of the agreement.

(Philadelphia County)

However, it is legal to drive with a firearm directly to/from certain places. The range, for example, without a LTCF.

Do not stop anywhere but the range and your house, otherwise it's illegal.
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    However, it is legal to drive with a firearm directly to/from certain places. The range, for example, without a LTCF.

Do not stop anywhere but the range and your house, otherwise it's illegal.
    Make sure it's unloaded