Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Looking for info on a very old Harrington and richardson pistol.

It was my grandfathers and now its mine. Wanted to know if anyone knows the age. I know its probably an early 1900 model. It is a .38 hammerless top break .38 fully chromed. There are 5 digits in the serial number 36XXX. I suspect its value (although i wouldnt ever sell it oobviously ) to be around 200 bucks. Any info on this gun would be great. Can post pics later. Thanks in advance

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for info on a very old Harrington and richardson pistol.

Edited for my mistake...

Looked and realized mine are Iver Johnson's :-[
    Last edited by G23neverjams; November 24th, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

Pics would be great but I know they made The American in 38 S&W but I'm not sure if those were break tops

(Jefferson County)

We would definitely need pics to determine things.

If the cartridge marking is on the left side of barrel it is probably a blackpowder only model.

Unfortunately we just lost the last person(RIP 32 Magnum) who would probably know exactly when the gun was made. But the rest of us could probably determine what exact model it is.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Pics would be great. No letter prefix on serial number?

(Chester County)

sorry so late with a response. I got several guns with ammo from the collection and the bullets i found to fit in the gun are marked .38 s&w. There are no markings on the sides of the gun, only the top. Doesnt even have caliber markings. There are no letters in the serial number . serial number is under frame and have to remove cylinder to view them. heres some pictures. thanks guys.

(Jefferson County)

Its either a 2nd or 3rd Model Hammerless Auto Eject.

It also appears to be rated for smokeless powder too.

Its too early to have a letter in the serial number. And only guns made from 1940 to present does the letter relate to a year.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 26th, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Its either a 2nd or 3rd Model Hammerless Auto Eject.

It also appears to be rated for smokeless powder too.

Its too early to have a letter in the serial number. And only guns made from 1940 to present does the letter relate to a year.
    thanks for the info! this thing needs work though and i wouldnt fire it. i know my grandfather used to carry it all the time back in the 40's and 50's. He must have shot it alot too. The barrell rotates freely with the finger off the trigger becuase the "nub doesnt protrude enough. The cylnder does rotate the barrel and align it properly however when you pull the trigger . If you pull the trigger slowly, it wont send the hammer home. You have to squeeze the trigger fast for the hammer to release. Been thinking about dissembly and a few parts but probably better to just to retire the pistol in the back of the safe
    Last edited by shortthrow50; November 26th, 2012 at 12:39 AM.

(Jefferson County)

It is in beautiful condition. ...it would a shame to not have it fixed.

I've passed up countless hammerless auto ejects in hopes to find one as pretty as that one.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It is in beautiful condition. ...it would a shame to not have it fixed.

I've passed up countless hammerless auto ejects in hopes to find one as pretty as that one.
    Ok. well then its on to the next task. Ill have to find a break down diagram and parts. You make a good point to not have it fixed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast