Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Howa and Savage Rifles

Howa or Savage rifles any thoughts .... I haven't bought a long gun ( other than a smoke pole) in 20 years not looking for anything fancy just a 30-06 I can take anywhere in the US for hunting trips , I am looking at either one of these ...
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

You can't go wrong with either one of your choices.

(Somerset County)

I was looking at both of those pretty hard about 4 years ago. Ended up buying a SS/syn Tikka T3. Between the Savage and Howa, I preferred the feel of the Savage stock.

Just to further muddy the waters for you, the Howa is the same as the Weatherby Vanguard and I wouldn't overlook the Stevens since it is the old, pre Accutrigger Savage.

Best bet is to handle them, check out the features (safety location, blind magazine, floorplate, etc) and buy what feels and suits you best.

Dale

(Fayette County)

The Howa's were really left over Weatherby Vanguard's.

(Bucks County)

I have a Savage PC 10 with a 5R barrel. Extremely accurate and is well built. 20" barrel makes it easy to handle. You can't go wrong with a Savage, but would recommend you handle first.

(Lancaster County)

ive never seen a savage that wont put rounds on top of rounds out of the box, the accu trigger is the shit for a factory trigger. ive had at least 5 pass through my ownership, 3 aint going anywhere and the others were traded for something i wanted more and was a good deal. for the money a savage cant be beat, in my eyes. mind you there are some i like more (rem 700 le 300wm) i never walk from a deal on a savage without serious back and forthing in my mind.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

Well looking more into it I am sticking with the Made in the USA .... It will either be a Savage or a Ruger I don't think my Grandfather would approve of me owning a Jap rifle ( Howa ) ....his words not mine to his dying day ....after fighting the Japanese Imperial Navy in WW2 he brought back an Arisaka and it sits in my gun cabinet ....sadly the chrysanthemum has been struck with a bayonet ....but one day I hope to get it functional again but it needs a lot of work....
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

There is a lot of wrong information given on this thread.

1)Howa's aren't left over Weatherbys...Howa was/is contracted by Weatherby to produce the Vanguard rifles for Weatherby.

2) Stevens 200 are not old pre accutrigger Savages. Stevens 200 are not offered with accutriggers and the stock is a gray color. Other than that, it's same action as on other Savage rifles.

Either choice is a good choice if you are looking for an off the shelf rifle.

Only thing I dislike about Howa is that they use metric threads and some gunsmiths won't work on metric rifles.

If you l like to tinker, then the only choice would be Savage/Stevens 200. You can do most of the work yourself and get the satisfaction of upgrading your rifle when funds/skill allows for the upgrade.

(Berks County)

Well I ended up with a Ruger All American 30-06 . I put a mid range scope a 3x9 40 Nikon BDC on it and got it for a great price. Now I have a Ruger long gun to match my wheel guns
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Chester County)

i've heard very good things about savage from many people. my father has a few .22s and a shot gun so i can't really attest to their rifle quality but i've only heard good things. and typically thier prices are much lower than comparable rifles.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast