Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

Check out the current issue of Field & Stream. There is a round-up with the Savage 10, Marlin, Ruger American, Howa, and the Weatherby in the same price range (sub $500).
    Stay frosty....

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    Check out the current issue of Field & Stream. There is a round-up with the Savage 10, Marlin, Ruger American, Howa, and the Weatherby in the same price range (sub $500).

What do they say? That they are all great?

But seriously, I'm trying to decide between a stainless Savage or Weatherby and I'd be interested in what they say.

(Allegheny County)

They rated the Marlin X7 best for the money, and the Ruger American best overall.

Average groups:

Howa: 1.25
    Marlin X7: .713
    Ruger American: .780
    Savage 11: 1.45
    Thompson Venture: .816
    Weatherby Vanguard 2: 1.714

Both the Ruger and the Marlin are cheaper than the Savage and the Howa and are a whole pound lighter than the Savage (1.5lbs lighter than the Howa).
    Stay frosty....

(Philadelphia County)

They rated the Marlin X7 best for the money, and the Ruger American best overall.

Average groups:

Both the Ruger and the Marlin are cheaper than the Savage and the Howa and are a whole pound lighter than the Savage (1.5lbs lighter than the Howa).

Yeesh. So much for the Weatherby sub-moa guarantee!

I don't know why but the Ruger American just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather get an M77 if I bought a Ruger - just seems more solid - although some M77 accuracy reports are a bit disappointing.

I wanted a Marlin when they were still made by Marlin but I've read so about so many QC problems on the Remlins I've been scared away.

I'll probably end up with whatever I end up finding on sale...

(Luzerne County)

I recently bought my first Savage. It is a model 10 FCP HS Precision. Out of the box after the barrel break in of 40 rounds I was able ro get holes touching each other at 100 yards.

By far it is the most accurate rifle I own. This was shot off of a bench with just a bipod, no other rests, bags or gun vise devices.

After a while I noticed I started drifting out to about a 1 inch group but I think I was getting tired or something.

I figured the original 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards was good enough for me.

That was using cheap federal lake city ammo as well. Nothing high end yet.

Average groups:

Just keep in mind that lighter isn't always better. Lots of people think it is, until they get a rifle that's "too light". Part of that would depend on how much recoil one is used to, caliber, load, and I'm sure recoil pad and build. I can tell you that I've known many people that bought some very light rifles like the Alaska Ti, or different company's versions of mountain rifles (designed to be light). They regretted it later and said that they beat the hell out of them, and they wished they would have just gotten the slightly heavier rifle. A fair number of those same folks sold the lighter rifle that was more expensive, to get the rifle that weighed a pound or pound and a half more. So it depends on lots of things, but lighter isn't always better.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    Yeesh. So much for the Weatherby sub-moa guarantee!
    I didn't see the article, so I don't know how they tested the accuracy. I know that they only offer that guarantee that with 3 round groups, and for their ammo. They may have tested it that way, but I thought I'd mention that. Honestly, I'm not exactly surprised that it might not have been able to meet that accuracy requirement. I'm also not surprised if lots of people don'e challenge that because lots of people can't meet that accuracy requirement either.

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    I recently bought my first Savage. It is a model 10 FCP HS Precision. Out of the box after the barrel break in of 40 rounds I was able ro get holes touching each other at 100 yards.

By far it is the most accurate rifle I own. This was shot off of a bench with just a bipod, no other rests, bags or gun vise devices.

After a while I noticed I started drifting out to about a 1 inch group but I think I was getting tired or something.

I figured the original 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards was good enough for me.

That was using cheap federal lake city ammo as well. Nothing high end yet.
    Just for the folks that may not be familiar with that model, I figured I'd mention a little info about it. They are typically very accurate rifles, but they are nowhere near the price of some of the other rifles mentioned. As a matter of face, they can be over twice as much as many of the rifles mentioned. They're good rifles though.

(Allegheny County)

3 shot groups, Federal Premium Match 168g .308.

I guess weight is a matter of perspective, and its importance changes by caliber. In .308, I'm not too bothered by a 6.5lb rifle. In .300 Win Mag, it would be a problem. YMMV.
    Stay frosty....

3 shot groups, Federal Premium Match 168g .308.

I guess weight is a matter of perspective, and its importance changes by caliber. In .308, I'm not too bothered by a 6.5lb rifle. In .300 Win Mag, it would be a problem. YMMV.
    That could be one reason why it may not meat their accuracy requirement. FGMM is great ammo, and in most rifles it shoots quite well. Weatherby only guarantees that accuracy with their ammo and premium ammo. So in their defense, from what you're telling me, they didn't test it in a manner that Weatherby guarantees. I mean it's quite possible to build a rifle, barrel length, loads, etc. to shoot in a particular rifle accurately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12