Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    41
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    879

    Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

    Check out the current issue of Field & Stream. There is a round-up with the Savage 10, Marlin, Ruger American, Howa, and the Weatherby in the same price range (sub $500).
    Stay frosty....

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,054
    Rep Power
    93391

    Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

    Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    Check out the current issue of Field & Stream. There is a round-up with the Savage 10, Marlin, Ruger American, Howa, and the Weatherby in the same price range (sub $500).


    What do they say? That they are all great?


    But seriously, I'm trying to decide between a stainless Savage or Weatherby and I'd be interested in what they say.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    41
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    879

    Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

    They rated the Marlin X7 best for the money, and the Ruger American best overall.

    Average groups:

    Howa: 1.25
    Marlin X7: .713
    Ruger American: .780
    Savage 11: 1.45
    Thompson Venture: .816
    Weatherby Vanguard 2: 1.714

    Both the Ruger and the Marlin are cheaper than the Savage and the Howa and are a whole pound lighter than the Savage (1.5lbs lighter than the Howa).
    Stay frosty....

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,054
    Rep Power
    93391

    Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

    Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    They rated the Marlin X7 best for the money, and the Ruger American best overall.

    Average groups:

    Howa: 1.25
    Marlin X7: .713
    Ruger American: .780
    Savage 11: 1.45
    Thompson Venture: .816
    Weatherby Vanguard 2: 1.714

    Both the Ruger and the Marlin are cheaper than the Savage and the Howa and are a whole pound lighter than the Savage (1.5lbs lighter than the Howa).

    Yeesh. So much for the Weatherby sub-moa guarantee!

    I don't know why but the Ruger American just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather get an M77 if I bought a Ruger - just seems more solid - although some M77 accuracy reports are a bit disappointing.


    I wanted a Marlin when they were still made by Marlin but I've read so about so many QC problems on the Remlins I've been scared away.



    I'll probably end up with whatever I end up finding on sale...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Age
    44
    Posts
    487
    Rep Power
    1189

    Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

    I recently bought my first Savage. It is a model 10 FCP HS Precision. Out of the box after the barrel break in of 40 rounds I was able ro get holes touching each other at 100 yards.

    By far it is the most accurate rifle I own. This was shot off of a bench with just a bipod, no other rests, bags or gun vise devices.

    After a while I noticed I started drifting out to about a 1 inch group but I think I was getting tired or something.

    I figured the original 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards was good enough for me.

    That was using cheap federal lake city ammo as well. Nothing high end yet.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,864
    Rep Power
    347716

    Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

    Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    They rated the Marlin X7 best for the money, and the Ruger American best overall.

    Average groups:

    Howa: 1.25
    Marlin X7: .713
    Ruger American: .780
    Savage 11: 1.45
    Thompson Venture: .816
    Weatherby Vanguard 2: 1.714

    Both the Ruger and the Marlin are cheaper than the Savage and the Howa and are a whole pound lighter than the Savage (1.5lbs lighter than the Howa).
    Just keep in mind that lighter isn't always better. Lots of people think it is, until they get a rifle that's "too light". Part of that would depend on how much recoil one is used to, caliber, load, and I'm sure recoil pad and build. I can tell you that I've known many people that bought some very light rifles like the Alaska Ti, or different company's versions of mountain rifles (designed to be light). They regretted it later and said that they beat the hell out of them, and they wished they would have just gotten the slightly heavier rifle. A fair number of those same folks sold the lighter rifle that was more expensive, to get the rifle that weighed a pound or pound and a half more. So it depends on lots of things, but lighter isn't always better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    Yeesh. So much for the Weatherby sub-moa guarantee!
    I didn't see the article, so I don't know how they tested the accuracy. I know that they only offer that guarantee that with 3 round groups, and for their ammo. They may have tested it that way, but I thought I'd mention that. Honestly, I'm not exactly surprised that it might not have been able to meet that accuracy requirement. I'm also not surprised if lots of people don'e challenge that because lots of people can't meet that accuracy requirement either.


    Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    I recently bought my first Savage. It is a model 10 FCP HS Precision. Out of the box after the barrel break in of 40 rounds I was able ro get holes touching each other at 100 yards.

    By far it is the most accurate rifle I own. This was shot off of a bench with just a bipod, no other rests, bags or gun vise devices.

    After a while I noticed I started drifting out to about a 1 inch group but I think I was getting tired or something.

    I figured the original 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards was good enough for me.

    That was using cheap federal lake city ammo as well. Nothing high end yet.
    Just for the folks that may not be familiar with that model, I figured I'd mention a little info about it. They are typically very accurate rifles, but they are nowhere near the price of some of the other rifles mentioned. As a matter of face, they can be over twice as much as many of the rifles mentioned. They're good rifles though.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    41
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    879

    Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

    3 shot groups, Federal Premium Match 168g .308.

    I guess weight is a matter of perspective, and its importance changes by caliber. In .308, I'm not too bothered by a 6.5lb rifle. In .300 Win Mag, it would be a problem. YMMV.
    Stay frosty....

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,864
    Rep Power
    347716

    Default Re: Howa and Savage Rifles

    Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    3 shot groups, Federal Premium Match 168g .308.

    I guess weight is a matter of perspective, and its importance changes by caliber. In .308, I'm not too bothered by a 6.5lb rifle. In .300 Win Mag, it would be a problem. YMMV.
    That could be one reason why it may not meat their accuracy requirement. FGMM is great ammo, and in most rifles it shoots quite well. Weatherby only guarantees that accuracy with their ammo and premium ammo. So in their defense, from what you're telling me, they didn't test it in a manner that Weatherby guarantees. I mean it's quite possible to build a rifle, barrel length, loads, etc. to shoot in a particular rifle accurately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [Want To Sell] Savage Rifles for Sale
    By eagle1899 in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
  2. [Want To Buy] Your old bolt gun. Rem, Win, Howa, Savage Etc
    By f15david in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
  3. [Want To Sell/Trade] Savage 12 LPV .204 and Savage 10FP-SR .223 for tactical or varmint rifles
    By PAb0whunt3r in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
  4. [Want To Trade] Savage 12 Low Profile .204 Ruger for Howa Axiom or predator rifle
    By PAb0whunt3r in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
  5. rem and savage rifles
    By remnut in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 15th, 2008, 02:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops