Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default PSP strikes again

To get us started, I have an Arsenal SLR 107CR that I plan to SBR. This is not my first stamp. I have dealt with this barracks before and have had trouble in the past as well.

Here goes. Today I had planned to get all my NFA hoop jumping done, photos, fingerprints, sheriff signature, the works. I thought this would be a good opportunity to get everything out of the way without missing work (since I'm already off work today.)

Well, it turns out the sheriff is off work today too. I called and figured this out before I even left the house. I thought about scrapping the whole adventure, and trying again another day, but I figured I might as well at least get the prints done.

Now, I always call before I bother to make the trip to the barracks, and that's pretty much why I'm irritated. Although the woman on the phone clearly had never heard terms like: "nfa" "atf" "sbr" "form 1" "application to make and register a firearm" before in her life, she nonetheless assured me that there was someone present at the barracks who was familiar with the fingerprinting machine and process.

So off we go, and ten minutes later I'm at the barracks. I talk to the woman at the front desk and inform her who I am, what I need, and that I believe we had just spoke (in fact it was the same woman) She asks for my ID, I don't know why, but they always ask so I comply. She asks again why I need the prints, I try again to explain it to her but the look she gives me tells me I'm wasting my time. She asks who told me to come there for the prints, and I answer that I have been through this process before and have successfully had my prints taken by the troopers at this barracks in the past. She says: "Ok, have a seat."

Ten minutes go by. She comes back to the window. "Why do you need this done again?" This time I try to be more thorough and I pretty much walk her through the whole NFA process. I intend to make a short barreled rifle from an existing rifle, application to make and register, sheriff signature, passport photos, fingerprints, yada yada, six months later... tax stamp. The only thing I didn't mention was the citizenship form.

To all this, she responds by looking at me like I have grown a second head and again asking "and who told you to come here for this?" "OH SWEET MERCIFUL CHRIST, NEVERMIND" is what I felt like saying... and in retrospect, I probably just should have asked for my ID back and cut my losses. Instead I repeat myself saying again that I have done this before, and have been printed at this barracks, without issue (that part is a bit of an fibb, as I always seem to have some degree of trouble at this barracks, but I digress) "OK" she says and disappears again.

Ten minutes later: "Did they provide you with fingerprint cards?" "Yes, would you like them now?" "Yes, please" "Sure" I hand them over. "and why do you need these done?" My head wants to explode. This time I only say "application to make and register a firearm" Then I think for a moment and offer to show her the application. She agrees that she would like to see it, so I fork over a completed, but yet unsigned, copy. "OK, thank you"

Ten minutes later: A male trooper emerges from the secured area with my documents. "Prints" "Yes" "Got anything you shouldn't" "No". "OK come on."

We get back to the processing room and I get a bad vibe right away when I see that he is filling out my cards in pen. Now, there is no problem with this exactly, except that the computer will print all that info on the cards by itself and will print over what he is writing, making the card a useless illegible mess (ask me how I know.) I hesitate but decide to politely bring this to his attention. My head wants to explode again as he informs me that he is not trained to use the computer and he will be taking my prints manually, as in with ink.

Now, here is the problem with inked prints. There are no do overs. If you get a bad print on the computer you choose to reject it and take the print again. If you get a bad print inked on to the card, you have a bad print inked on to the card. Can you guess what happens next? Too much ink on the pad, at least three of the prints are smudged. I have my doubts that they will be accepted as is, and I'm probably going to end up going back to the barracks another day and hoping to get a different receptionist and a trooper who knows how to work the machine.

Well, that's my story. I applaud you and I thank you for your time if you're still with me. I know it was a bit long winded. I really needed to vent. In closing I just want to say that the trooper who took my prints was quite friendly and I do appreciate his effort. My main beef is with the woman at the desk. The reason I call first is to confirm that someone who can work the printing machine is present. If she would have told me that no one there was able to do so, I could have saved myself a good bit of time and stress.

Edit to add: Also, I do realize that this is a free service provided by the PSP, and thank heavens for that.
    Last edited by marinville; November 23rd, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: PSP strikes again

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    We get back to the processing room and I get a bad vibe right away when I see that he is filling out my cards in pen. Now, there is no problem with this exactly, except that the computer will print all that info on the cards by itself and will print over what he is writing, making the card a useless illegible mess (ask me how I know.)
    The same thing happened to me when I went to my local PD to get printed for my FL license, except that I was the one who filled out the card in pen. I figured that I'd save some time and fill out the information in advance - I'd never had it done with the newer computer systems. I thought that the officer was merely confirming the information I printed on the card. Luckily, the printed information was very light and FL took the card.

Bill

Properly rolling prints is somewhat of an art. If you don't ever do it, you lose the skill. The AFIS machine is no exception. The problem is, only certain personnel are trained on the AFIS machine. Most of the time, one of the trained people will roll EVERYONE'S prints from a shift. In short, Troopers who are actually doing the arresting aren't printing anymore. I hope that your card is accepted.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

The machine will indicate when a print is not rolled correctly.
    If the trooper rolls your prints with ink, the ink station should have stickers that cover the bad print. Then, he re-rolls the one he messed up.

The problem with ink is, if you don't check your work or don't know what to look for- the prints get returned.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Beaver County)

PSP Beaver Cty. wouldn't do it for me. New class III dealer was keepin' 'em too busy! Had to go to county jail. PSP losing money on this!! The (Regional Detention Facility) as the Cty. jail now called has a cool, modern machine. Looks like a copier/clear glass is where you roll.
    Last edited by gold eagle; November 23rd, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
    'It is Their Right, It is Their Duty, To Throw Off Such Government '

My suggestion to the OP is that if you can recall the name of the Tpr. who did your prints before, call, ask form him and when he could do them for you.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    My suggestion to the OP is that if you can recall the name of the Tpr. who did your prints before, call, ask form him and when he could do them for you.
    I did consider this, unfortunately I can not recall that trooper's name.

However, I do know one of the other troopers there by name. I think I will try to get him to do them.

It's just such a pain in the ass to get these done right. I've only got two more forms so if they get messed up again I'll be waiting for more in the mail.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    "Prints" "Yes" "Got anything you shouldn't" "No". "OK come on."
    Such as??!! This question bothers me.

(Lancaster County)

I went through a two month phase where I needed prints about 4 times. My local pd will do prints for residents. Best part with the machine was when came in for trip 2,3, and 4 I just told them the date of the original print, showed my ID, they hit repeat on the machine and spit out a new set...

Bad part is I am in their print machine FOREVER!!!!

It's kind of a gray area whether your own prints need to be taken by an LEO. I've heard stories form others who routinely ink their own fingers on the cards, filling out the blank spots accurately, with no troubles.

They are your own fingers, they are your authentic fingerprints, so if you can roll them properly and legibly, it should suffice for ATF/FBI purposes.

You can also order extra FP cards form the ATF forms website, they are surprisingly fast about getting them to you. Just be sure to order the correct FP cards, the ones for use with Form 1 or 4, not the ones they use for FFL applications.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast