Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default What's the psychology behind this?

OK, wife's still asleep, dog's are taken care of, time for a little Thanksgiving morning thought flowing ...
    I've read on this forum, and have spoken to people in person about this, and I don't really understand why some people out there feel more "comfortable" knowing a firearm is concealed.
    It seems all too often a police officer has a problem with the sight of open carry, but not concealed carry.
    It seems all too often citizens are disturbed at the sight of an openly carried gun, but don't take issue with one that is concealed as well.
    So, it brings me to the question: what is the psychology behind this way of thinking? It seems weird to me that some people would be fine with knowing others are carrying concealed, but they are shocked and frightened if they see an openly holstered pistol.
    You would think someone would either be totally against someone carrying in public, or totally for it. It stands to reason there would be no middle ground. But strangely enough, it doesn't always appear to be this way at all.
    I guess I was just looking for some feedback on what you all think is the psychological explanation behind this. Do people simply WANT to be oblivious to their surroundings? Is it almost a conscious, or perhaps subconscious, decision to be OK with something, as long you don't SEE that something? Perhaps I'm in the societal minority, but I think I'd PREFER to see something out in the open and not hidden, since at least I know what's going on. More and more, I'm simply convinced that people want to be totally oblivious to what's going on out there in the world.
    I guess I'm just mystified at this whole thought process.
    Anyway, rant over. Happy Turkey Day everyone!
    J.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: What's the psychology behind this?

Don't you know that a hidden gun will never just go off and kill someone. But if you have it out in the open it may just jump out and start killing people. What I would say is as you said out of sight out of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyec View Post
    OK, wife's still asleep, dog's are taken care of, time for a little Thanksgiving morning thought flowing ...
    I've read on this forum, and have spoken to people in person about this, and I don't really understand why some people out there feel more "comfortable" knowing a firearm is concealed.
    It seems all too often a police officer has a problem with the sight of open carry, but not concealed carry.
    It seems all too often citizens are disturbed at the sight of an openly carried gun, but don't take issue with one that is concealed as well.
    So, it brings me to the question: what is the psychology behind this way of thinking? It seems weird to me that some people would be fine with knowing others are carrying concealed, but they are shocked and frightened if they see an openly holstered pistol.
    You would think someone would either be totally against someone carrying in public, or totally for it. It stands to reason there would be no middle ground. But strangely enough, it doesn't always appear to be this way at all.
    I guess I was just looking for some feedback on what you all think is the psychological explanation behind this. Do people simply WANT to be oblivious to their surroundings? Is it almost a conscious, or perhaps subconscious, decision to be OK with something, as long you don't SEE that something? Perhaps I'm in the societal minority, but I think I'd PREFER to see something out in the open and not hidden, since at least I know what's going on. More and more, I'm simply convinced that people want to be totally oblivious to what's going on out there in the world.
    I guess I'm just mystified at this whole thought process.
    Anyway, rant over. Happy Turkey Day everyone!
    J.
    Not being a psychologist, I don't what the psychology is behind this. I do know that alot of people feel the same way about a gun whether it is concealed or open, whether or not they are pro or anti. Open carry conjures up images of "the wild west" (which was not so "wild" by the way), to those who are inclined to care about such things. Some of those in authority think it is a privelige to open carry, which only extends to them. I once had an open carry debate with an LEO who is an aquaintence of mine and his response was "I know you have a dick too, I just don't want to see it". Anyone who has ever even gotten toe deep into studying psychology knows what it means when someone starts referencing dicks as an analogy.

I know where you're coming from, as I too am mystified at this thought process. If concealed carry is so great, why aren't police lobbying their departments to be able to carry concealed? They have already lobbied for semi auto's, AR15s, armored personnel carriers, drone planes, etc. Do people who carry concealed think that alot of the bad guys out there can't spot a concealed carrier a mile away? For those who think concealed gives an "element of surprise" do they not understand that said element of surprise is an offensive posture and not a defensive one? I thought we carried pistols for defense.
    I think sometimes it boils down to the fact that carrying open is viewed by some as shoving it people's faces. These are the same types of people that have negative comments about people that work out and take care of themselves, or people that drive nice cars, or dress nice, etc. Many of them don't have the balls to open carry themselves, and the cognitive dissonance kicks in and to justify their thought process they have to call out those they see doing it.
    Just for the record, I rarely open carry, but am certainly an advocate of it. I don't OC because I'm not really a social person and don't think I would react well to any attention attracted by it, whether positive or negative. Whatever I am doing that is within the law and has no effect on you is none of your business. When I am out and about I have a purpose and want to do what I am doing without interference from anyone. I have no desire to stop and engage in a friendly, or not so friendly, chat unless I am the one doing the engaging, on my own terms.

Just taking a guess here, I think it may have something to do with people getting being assertive mixed up with being aggressive.

Guns are generally portrayed as offensive aggressive weapons. Used in war to kill others, used by criminals to kill others. I think because open carrying is rare, people see the gun and subconsciously associate that person as being an aggressive individual. In their mind a person who is open carrying is trying in some way to establish their dominance over others which they find scary on a primal level.

Unfortunately they do not perceive that most people open carry to be assertive, taking responsibility for their protection and not relying on others to protect them. Not wanting to be victims of a criminal attack.
    Last edited by internet troll; November 22nd, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

(Bucks County)

I'd say the bulk of the general public are not aware that OC is legal in PA (within restrictions). Many people are aware there is some type of permitting system that checks backgrounds for concealed carry. So if they get a peak at someone carrying concealed there is less apprehension involved.

I also think a lot has to do with the situation. If a well dressed person gets out of a newer vehicle and is OCing a firearm in a nice looking holster there is less concern than the guy who gets out of the beatup 20 year old Neon, wears sagging torn up pants, covered in tattoos and has a pistol shoved in his belt. Both may be carrying well within their rights but one presents an image (to some) that is considered less "threatening".

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Just taking a guess here, I think it may have something to do with people getting being aggressive mixed up with being assertive.

Guns are generally portrayed as offensive aggressive weapons. Used in war to kill others, used by criminals to kill others. I think because open carrying is rare, people see the gun and subconsciously associate that person as being an aggressive individual. In their mind a person who is open carrying is trying in some way to establish their dominance over others which they find scary on a primal level.

Unfortunately they do not perceive that most people open carry to be assertive, taking responsibility for their protection and not relying on others to protect them. Not wanting to be victims of a criminal attack.
    Good point. Being assertive is considered being an a**hole by alot of people.

(Cumberland County)

Out of sight, out of mind?

It's like an obese lady in a bikini. Not something many of use want to see. If she's dressed in normal, non-exposing clothes, what's the problem? WE know she's still disgustingly obese, but we don't have to see it. But once she's starts showing off her "stuff", many people will be uncomfortable and disgusted. Just because she's clothed, doesn't mean you don't know she's obese. Without trying to be too offensive, that's my best analogy.....

Just because we're all comfortable with firearms doesn't mean everybody else has to be. They may respect your right but may just prefer not to have to look at it. Are most people wrongfully fearful of firearms? Yeah, probably. But that doesn't matter. That's just how they think and they're entitled to it.

(Philadelphia County)

A visible gun is a constant reminder that we live in an imperfect and dangerous society.
    Some people would rather be ignorant and bliss; out of sight, out of mind.

Now go serve your wife breakfast in bed

(Erie County)

Simple, ignorance is bliss!
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Chester County)

You bring up a very interesting point.

I remember my first flight to Frankfort Germany many years ago. I was in my late 20's and had been around firearms all my life. I shot on the Auburn pistol team and had my LTCF since the day I turned 21. I got to play with most of the interesting toys while in the Navy. Lets just say I was very comfortable around guns. Yet there was something disquieting about taxiing past the EL AL terminal and seeing APCs parked around the aircraft and then then walking through the terminal seeing groups of police (or military - not sure which) walking around with MP5s. This was a weapon I had shot before and in the right circumstances would give me wood to shoot it. But taken out of context - seeing them at an airport and not a firing range - I was slightly uncomfortable.

The same thing after 9/11. Last year I went to NYC and was somewhat uncomfortable about seeing NYPD in tac gear with MP5s and M4s standing around everywhere. There has alway been a large police presence in Manhattan, but always with revolvers (dating myself) or Glocks. The most aggressive thing you used toy see is a shotgun locked in the squad car.

Finally, an observation that doesn't even directly involve firearms. I was in Bloomsburg last year after the flooding and there were Humvees and whatever they use for trucks nowadays everywere. There were troops on the ground - unarmed but in helmets and mostly standing around but some directing traffic. I know rationally why they were there and that it is a good thing, but put soldiers in helmets and Humvees at every intersection of an American town is disturbing.

I wonder if there are any legit psych studies about this (not the anti stuff)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast