Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smython?

(Warren County)

Default Smython?

Am I missing something here? I came across one of these franken guns for sale for $1,700 .. it's a S&W 19-4 with a 4" Python barrel mated to it. Is this something that should bring this much? School me on this gun please.......
    Last edited by chez323; November 20th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Default Re: Smython?

Got a link?

Some guys build AR's out of who knows what and get some $$$ for them, so anything is possible. The Python is known for being super accurate, so maybe the action combined with the barrel makes a good comp. rig for someone. It is doubtful that it was just thrown together.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Warren County)

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...ch-nickel.html

not trying to put down somebody else's ad, just don't know what to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Got a link?

Some guys build AR's out of who knows what and get some $$$ for them, so anything is possible. The Python is known for being super accurate, so maybe the action combined with the barrel makes a good comp. rig for someone. It is doubtful that it was just thrown together.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

I have seen them before. OMG, Can't believe someone would actually do that!

Seems like a waste of Python parts.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Mercer County)

Simthons were the "Cat's Meow" years ago in bulls eye competion. The reasoning if I remember correctly was the smith had the better action for bulls eye, as the trigger could be staged and the Colt's had the heavier and more accurate barrel.

I've own two; a 6 & 4 incher from my old bulls eye days.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Warren County)

So knowing this, is that price realistic for that gun?

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Simthons were the "Cat's Meow" years ago in bulls eye competion. The reasoning if I remember correctly was the smith had the better action for bulls eye, as the trigger could be staged and the Colt's had the heavier and more accurate barrel.

I've own two; a 6 & 4 incher from my old bulls eye days.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(York County)

Yup, confirming story of Mountainoracle as the same as the one I'd heard back in the day. Matching a Python barrel to a K or L frame S&W was one of those custom things done sometimes back in the 80s and early 90s. The folks at Valley Guns in Baltimore tried to convince me to do it to my Mod. 64 at one point back then. Essentially it means recutting the barrel threads and matching up the sights. Treat it as any other custom barrel job and nothing more. I sure as heck wouldn't spend $1700 for one though.

(Adams County)

now this makes feel old. i can remember that being done in the 70's. there were various reasons given one about the barrel of the colt being heavyer one about the rotation of the cylinder and the right and left hand twist of the barrel. but it was a popular converson back in the day.

(Montgomery County)

MountainOracle and Ecclectic Collector nailed it - "Smolts" and "Smythons" were popular back in the 70s and 80s as PPC competition guns. Police shooters liked the trigger of the S&W K frame, and the Python barrel was considered the most accurate production barrel available at the time. The also liked the heavier weight of the Python full lug barrel. Remember this was back in the day when the Python was a production gun and parts were not as expensive as today. In addition to the "Smython," you'll also see "Cougars" - Ruger Police Six or Service Six paired up with a Python barrel.

I can see the appeal but personally I wouldn't pay $1700 for a Smython or Cougar. I didn't pay even close to that for a very good condition, all original Python a couple years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast