Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Shouldn't processing charges to obtain a CCW be illegal?

Shouldn't processing charges to obtain a Concealed Carry Permit be illegal?

In Pennsylvania I paid about $20 to get a CCP that is good for 5 years. Whereas this MIGHT interfere with a person's ability to obtain a permit don't you think that it ought to be considered unconstitutional? Like a poll tax?

Yes, I know it is cheap and I know MOST everyone can afford it, but it's the principle of the thing. The FCC used to charge for a CB license and then it was decided that was illegal.

Isn't this a similar scenario?
    Last edited by Hokkmike; March 15th, 2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: illegal substitution

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Shouldn't processing charges to obtain a CCW be illegal?

You paid $20 for a Concealed Carry Weapon? That's only good for 5 years?

...Must be a hi point

(Allegheny County)

imho, the whole concept of needing a license to CCW is illegal.

but, the PA supreme court has ruled that it is constitutional because open carry does not require an LTCF (holy screwed up logic batman, but...)

thus, i'm sure the court would rule that it is also legal to charge for the license since you can open carry without being charged for a license...except of course in philly...i guess philly residents are somehow not quite as protected by the PA constitution as the rest of us.

again, holy screwed up logic batman.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

but, the PA supreme court has ruled that it is constitutional because open carry does not require an LTCF (holy screwed up logic batman, but...)
    Good guys dont have to hide a gun. Thats why you need a permit to conceal it. Your permit says you a good citizan and not not a unscrupulous person

ask Doug how it all started

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fultonCoShooter View Post
    Good guys dont have to hide a gun. Thats why you need a permit to conceal it. Your permit says you a good citizan and not not a unscrupulous person

ask Doug how it all started
    i understand the history completely. and, i wouldn't mind the LTCF requirement so much if open carry were still actually routinely practiced and completely accepted.

but, even way back when, it was still actually unconstitutional to require a license.

the PA constitution says what it says..."the right to bear arms shall not be questioned".

"are you going to bear arms openly or in a concealed manner?" is a question.

(Monroe County)

$20 for a LTCF? You got off cheap. Look up what the state says the are allowed to charge you and then compare it to what they do charge you. In Monroe, I paid something like $35.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Northumberland County)

I sold a rifle to networkpenguin a few weeks ago... he said that in monroe co., you guys have to give copies of your last W2 or some other official form of revenue to show residency... is that right???
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Allegheny County)

If you view it as a restriction, I have to wonder how effective a restriction it is to require someone to pay less than fifty dollars for a license to carry a firearm that costs at a minimum one hundred dollars, with the consideration that said individual is most likely going to spend more than that on holsters and ammunition in the course of a year. Just doesn't seem signifigant to me.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    I sold a rifle to networkpenguin a few weeks ago... he said that in monroe co., you guys have to give copies of your last W2 or some other official form of revenue to show residency... is that right???
    I know I did, I haven't heard from the sheriff yet but its only been 2 weeks!

I don't feel that a LTCF is out of line really, only because they do not require it for OC. The only thing I don't like is the fact that they consider carrying in a vehicle concealed. Which makes it impossible for me to open carry (to much time walking). I do understand the reasoning, yet its still annoying. Just my opinion but I may be more passive about this sort of thing than most I am sure.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jared McLaughlin View Post
    If you view it as a restriction, I have to wonder how effective a restriction it is to require someone to pay less than fifty dollars for a license to carry a firearm that costs at a minimum one hundred dollars, with the consideration that said individual is most likely going to spend more than that on holsters and ammunition in the course of a year. Just doesn't seem signifigant to me.
    It may not seem significant to you, but it is circumventing the law. Read up on it, the state sets a very specific limit on the fee but the counties generally tack on extra fees. And it is viewed as a restriction because we should not be restricted in our ability to own or carry according to state and federal law. But hey, if you aren't bothered by it, why should they be?.....
    Last edited by headcase; March 15th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast