Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default firearm finishing

So I just acquired a kimber solo which so far im really pleased with except for one thing, the coating they use on the frame, they're own kimber pro finish or whatever its called is terrible, I've only owned it for like a week and it already has nicks and is wearing off in some spots, I contacted kimber and they said they normally don't warranty the finish but they offered me to send it in to take a look at it with a 5 week turnaround, so I decided not to go that route

Now I'm thinking about getting the frame coated with cerakote or I've read about micro slick, probably a stainless steel color to match the slide

My questions are, is cerakote finish self lubricating, I know micro slick is, I read that the kimber finish is self lubricating and is vital to the solos performance because of the tight fit

Also will getting the frame coated void the warranty

And lastly any recommendations on who does good work
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Northampton County)

Default Re: firearm finishing

First if its a brand new gun by all means send it back and bitch at them till they refinish it for free. They could void your warranty for refinishing a brand new firearm . The cerakote once applied and lubed is good to go. I shoot the crap out of mine and clean them when they start to look dirty externally. Generally clean up is easy with gun scrubber poly safe and Remoil. I have 2 CZ custom shop pistols wore the finish off the slide on one and on the other one the coating is flaking on the frame it happens with wear and tear and heavy use. When I have a pistol with substantial finish wear at that point I refinish it. Now if your solo is brand new and the finish is coming off that's a warranty issue. Send It back I am sure Kimber will make it right for you. Brian /EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Default Re: firearm finishing

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    First if its a brand new gun by all means send it back and bitch at them till they refinish it for free. They could void your warranty for refinishing a brand new firearm . The cerakote once applied and lubed is good to go. I shoot the crap out of mine and clean them when they start to look dirty externally. Generally clean up is easy with gun scrubber poly safe and Remoil. I have 2 CZ custom shop pistols wore the finish off the slide on one and on the other one the coating is flaking on the frame it happens with wear and tear and heavy use. When I have a pistol with substantial finish wear at that point I refinish it. Now if your solo is brand new and the finish is coming off that's a warranty issue. Send It back I am sure Kimber will make it right for you. Brian /EFR
    Not that its peeling off just that it has nicks already without even shooting it, and the only part that shows a little fading is under the trigger guard, it just appears they're coating is very sensitive and wouldn't stand up to holstering a few times, I understand no finish will last but I want something strong that will last a while

I contacted kimber and they told me the coating is typically not covered under warranty as its a wear item but they offered for me to send it in to have a tech look at it with a turnaround time of 5 weeks, I don't feel like waiting five weeks just to have the frame coated

I called again and they did say having the frame recoated by anyone other than them will void the warranty but their warranty is only a year so I'm most likely going to put a few hundred rounds to make sure it performs flawlessly and if it does I'll probably be stopping at your place to have the frame cerakoated matte black, if it has any mechanical problems then I'll send it back and have them recoat it and wouldn't mind waiting the long turnaround since its not only the coating getting repaired

Thanks
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member