Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sw m&p problem

(Philadelphia County)

Default sw m&p problem

i was looking over my m&p and found that the slide can easily be moved left to right on the front end. you just grab it and move it left to right slightly and it does make a rattle. i would like to know from other m&p owners if this is natural or not.

heres a video for some visuals of what im talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DuOjKReAIk

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: sw m&p problem

I just checked mine. If yours is defective then so is mine. Actually it is because the slide only contacts the frame on four small points. The closest one to the muzzle is near the take down lever. This allows for the "play" you are concerned about. Just make sure all four contact points on the frame are in good shape for peace of mind but I think you're good.

(Lancaster County)

Here's a good write up about the pistol describing the reason for the four point contact system. http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm

(Philadelphia County)

i think i feel better now. still kinda bugs me but if its ok, then its ok.

(Monroe County)

All polymer guns the except the Ruger p 95 the slide ride on a steel rail rather than on the frame, however some polymer guns are built to tighter tolerances, for example on my SIg 2009 there is no movement whatsoever while on my Glocks there is a slight movement and on my FNP there is substantial movement from side to side, the sloppy manufacture of the M&P were the reason i never bought one.

(Montgomery County)

It is not "sloppy" or "poor quality" in any way shape or form. That looser contact actually helps the pistol operate under adverse conditions like extreme hot or cold and while infiltrated by sand and or dust. That "play" allows for slight dimension changes due to temperature (expansion and contraction) as well as allowing debris to not bind up the glide path of the slide.

I have owned and shot a couple of the m&p line of pistols and they are fantastic and well built. Capable of great accuracy and precision these pistols are nothing to deride. Super tight tolerances and rock solid bearing surfaces lead to expensive and less robust firearms. Note, the M&P line is meant for defense and hard duty, not bullseye shooting under controlled conditions.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    It is not "sloppy" or "poor quality" in any way shape or form. That looser contact actually helps the pistol operate under adverse conditions like extreme hot or cold and while infiltrated by sand and or dust. That "play" allows for slight dimension changes due to temperature (expansion and contraction) as well as allowing debris to not bind up the glide path of the slide.

I have owned and shot a couple of the m&p line of pistols and they are fantastic and well built. Capable of great accuracy and precision these pistols are nothing to deride. Super tight tolerances and rock solid bearing surfaces lead to expensive and less robust firearms. Note, the M&P line is meant for defense and hard duty, not bullseye shooting under controlled conditions.
    Pretty much sums it up.

One of my favorite PDP is a Taurus 24/7 Pro. The slide's natural ride on the frame (on one of them, in particular) will allow it to move to the right, but not to the left, at all. This says nothing of the 12 ga. slug hole it makes from a full mag, 21 ft. away. Also, that movement is not indicative of what it does when you are actually shooting it.

I had to loosen the slide/frame fit on one of my PT 1911 9mm's and the accuracy did not change. It did improve, however, when I tightened the BB fit.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Glock's slide/frame fit is about as loose as my second gf. Which is loose. But boy, was she a fun...
    Anyway, my understanding is that the its designed that way for a reason.
    Looser it is, less likely to bind up, but since barrel is locked to the slide, accuracy do not suffer
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for all the help. its actually a normal thing for all to know.

(Monroe County)

All my Glocks and my SIg 2009 are fitted very tightly and they are no less reliable in cold or hot weather, you do not have to have a sloppy gun for reliability.

In any case you can fix it your self by clamping the gun in a vice and use a electrician pliers a big one to bend the metal rail down a bit , sort of the way they tighten up a 1911 with a ballpeen hammer, no biggie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast