Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Open carry law

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Open carry law

Open carry is the way to go if you can't for some reason get an LTCF or while you're waiting for an LTCF.

However you cant do it in these circumstances.

1. Carry in a car. The gun(unloaded) and ammo have to be separated and secured usually in the trunk and in two separate cases.

2. In Philadelphia, without an LTCF you can't open carry here at all.

3. While hunting though a law was just recently passed that will change the rules on this one, don't know the exact date it takes effect, I'm not versed in it at all.

4. Anywhere you can not carry a gun by federal or state law.

Other than that open carry all you want and if you don't have an LTCF then NEVER conceal it! Even if the police officer that has illegally stopped you tells you to do so. Let him know you wont because it would be illegal for you to do so.

I think it is plain stupid to not open carry if you don't have a LTCF.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    In PA you only have to 18 to possess any firearm. So i'm not sure how that would correspond to open carry. Obviously you can't get a LTC, but you aren't required to have one to open carry anyways.
    Delta, I'm not really sure what you're getting at by saying that you have to be 18 to possess any firearm, but if you're not 21 you can not legally buy handguns. Rifles are another matter, but I think they would be a lil difficult to conceal
    I know a lil about a lot, but I don't know a lot about anything!

(Erie County)

You can't purchase a handgun. But you can possess one.

So what I'm saying is if mommy buys a handgun for her kid whose 18 can he carry it openly?

(Luzerne County)

Yes, since transfers are not required between parents & children, grandparents & children, or husbands & wives.

A permit to carry concealed cannot be obtained until a person is 21yoa.

A permit to carry concealed is just that, for the purpose of carrying concealed or in a vehicle.

There is no law against open carry, meaning there is nothing that makes doing so illegal, no matter what the age.

However, if you live in Philly you are required to have a permit to carry even if you plan on carrying openly.

So, if an 18yoa person is gifted a handgun, they can carry it openly, except in Philly.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    However, if you live in Philly you are required to have a permit to carry even if you plan on carrying openly.

So, if an 18yoa person is gifted a handgun, they can carry it openly, except in Philly.
    Open carry in Philly will cause headaches. I was stopped and kept for 15 minutes while they ran my permit last night because the tip of my black holster was sticking out the bottom of my black jacket on my black pants at night. How the cop spotted it is beyond me, eagle eyes I guess.

The funniest part of the whole deal was when the cop asked me if I realized that "the hammer is cocked on your gun".

I explained to him that 1911s are single-action only guns and there's no other safe/smart way to carry them (which incidentally is where the term "going off half-cocked" comes from to my recollection). Apparently he also did not see the irony in the fact that he was carrying a glock which is also always "cocked."

All in all the guy was nice and the encounter went smoothly at which point he handed me my firearm back in the middle of the sidewalk of a busy street in Old City which I found somewhat amusing for some reason.

First time I've ever been stopped.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Montgomery County)

WOW!

Did you mention open carry was legal and that if he saw it then he would've been scolded against stopping you by a few judges

Glad it went smoothly and I'll guess you just handed over the permit!

Sounds like he disarmed you in the middle of the street =)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Open carry in Philly will cause headaches. I was stopped and kept for 15 minutes while they ran my permit last night because the tip of my black holster was sticking out the bottom of my black jacket on my black pants at night. How the cop spotted it is beyond me, eagle eyes I guess.

The funniest part of the whole deal was when the cop asked me if I realized that "the hammer is cocked on your gun".

I explained to him that 1911s are single-action only guns and there's no other safe/smart way to carry them (which incidentally is where the term "going off half-cocked" comes from to my recollection). Apparently he also did not see the irony in the fact that he was carrying a glock which is also always "cocked."

All in all the guy was nice and the encounter went smoothly at which point he handed me my firearm back in the middle of the sidewalk of a busy street in Old City which I found somewhat amusing for some reason.

First time I've ever been stopped.
    Well according to Phillycop you're pretty lucky. I mean carrying a gun with a permit thats definately a felony

That's good to hear that at least 1 philly cop has some common sense. I wonder if it's more department policy that is anti as compared to the cops themselves?

(Philadelphia County)

That's good to hear that at least 1 philly cop has some common sense. I wonder if it's more department policy that is anti as compared to the cops themselves?
    That's generally what I find. Almost every Philly cop I know is pro-2a personally. I'm pretty sure they're all getting pressure from above to get guns/permits off the street in any way they can.

I was particularly pleased that the officer acknowledged my "right to bear arms" (his words.) That of course overlooks the fact that in practice that right has been demoted to a privilege with the advent of carry permits.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    You're correct on the origin of the phrase. Some cited information:
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/go_off_half-cocked
    http://www.joe-ks.com/phrases/phrasesH.htm (See 3rd entry on page)
    http://www.nps.gov/archive/whmi/educ...tg/ortrtg4.htm (See Item #6)

Glad to hear that you didn't get any trouble. Not glad to hear that an officer had no idea that Condition 1 is THE ONLY WAY to carry a 1911. The gun's only been around for damn near 100 years, you'd think that at least LEOs would have an idea, even though they may not carry them on-duty.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Poultney, VT(school) Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

You can't purchase a handgun. But you can possess one.

So what I'm saying is if mommy buys a handgun for her kid whose 18 can he carry it openly?
    can i have the statue on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Yes, since transfers are not required between parents & children, grandparents & children, or husbands & wives.

A permit to carry concealed cannot be obtained until a person is 21yoa.

A permit to carry concealed is just that, for the purpose of carrying concealed or in a vehicle.

There is no law against open carry, meaning there is nothing that makes doing so illegal, no matter what the age.

again can i have the statue on this. 'cuse i might be able to get a .357 gifted to me from my grandfather. and if i can posses that that would be amazing. (just to target shoot. Mongry county LEO's would be all over my ass if i tryed to carry it.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast