Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Possible self defense shooting Lawrence County

Bar fight leads to death; Beaver County man in jail
    11/18/2012 12:00:00 AM
    By Karen Kane, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    A Beaver County man was in jail today, charged with first-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting early Saturday in Lawrence County.

Lt. David Kingston said Ian Christopher Frey, 25, of Franklin, is accused of killing Keith Knox II, 38, of Wampum, at 2 a.m. Saturday after they had been kicked out of Weisz's Hazel Manor on North Street in Ellwood City.

Mr. Knox was pronounced dead at the scene. A police affidavit indicated he had been shot at close range three times in the chest.

Lt. Kingston said the incident began with a skirmish inside the bar. The officer said the men were to told to leave. The suspect went to his car, which was parked across the street; the victim went to his own car with a friend in the parking lot adjacent to the bar.

"The victim could see the suspect and the victim wanted to confront the suspect. His buddy told him to let it go but the victim approached the suspect. He goes up to the car and opens the suspect's car door and reportedly he started beating the suspect in the head. That's when the suspect said he shot him," Lt. Kingston reported, noting that the shots were fired from inside Mr. Frey's car.

The affidavit indicated that Mr. Frey "said he had no choice and just wanted to get Knox off of him so he pulled his gun from his waistband ...(and) fired."

Mr. Frey was arraigned before District Judge Melissa Amodie in New Castle and remanded without bond to Lawrence County Jail. A preliminary hearing is set for 9:30 a.m. Nov. 27.

Karen Kane: kkane@post-gazette.com or at 724-772-9180.

First published on November 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

It will be interesting to see how this plays out

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Possible self defense shooting Lawrence County

Under the current law, and if the facts are as what is described, that is absolutely a justified shooting.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

That does indeed sound like the framework for a self-defense claim, in the absence of disqualifying factors (carrying unlawfully, for example).

. . . . .(2.1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2.2), an actor is presumed to have a reasonable belief that deadly force is immediately necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat if both of the following conditions exist:

(i) The person against whom the force is used is in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or has unlawfully and forcefully entered and is present within, a dwelling, residence or occupied vehicle; or the person against whom the force is used is or is attempting to unlawfully and forcefully remove another against that other's will from the dwelling, residence or occupied vehicle.
    . . . . .
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lackawanna County)

WTF, eye witness who is friend of victim said that victim was the aggressor in this shooting, attacked and was beating the shooter, who was still in his car, to the point that the shooter had to use his gun to stop the attack, and the shooter is charged with murder 1, again i say, WTF.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Delaware County)

From what I get out of the original post I think it was self defense. I do hope the truth becomes clear and it everything gets settled in the just way.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Pike County)

What the heck is this guy doing in JAIL????
    Je suis déplorable

(Chester County)

Just goes to show that just by pulling the trigger in your own self defense can seriously put a halt on your life and liberty.

Hope the facts come out that this was justified and pray that none of us ever have to be in that spot.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

WOW!

I'm going go give the police the benefit of the doubt and hope they are just holding him until they are sure that it's a self defense shooting.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacpiper View Post
    Just goes to show that just by pulling the trigger in your own self defense can seriously put a halt on your life and liberty.

Hope the facts come out that this was justified and pray that none of us ever have to be in that spot.
    Thats is what I was thinking when I posted this. With only the facts provided it seems as if should have been a pretty strait forward self defense shooting.

"The victim could see the suspect and the victim wanted to confront the suspect. His buddy told him to let it go but the victim approached the suspect.

I found this bit interesting as well. I had to reread the article three times as I had a very difficult time accepting the aggressor (at least outside) as "victim" and the person leaving the scene as the "suspect".

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by spagluvx View Post
    Thats is what I was thinking when I posted this. With only the facts provided it seems as if should have been a pretty strait forward self defense shooting.

"The victim could see the suspect and the victim wanted to confront the suspect. His buddy told him to let it go but the victim approached the suspect.

I found this bit interesting as well. I had to reread the article three times as I had a very difficult time accepting the aggressor (at least outside) as "victim" and the person leaving the scene as the "suspect".
    I agree I had to read it a couple times to understand who was who.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast