Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Love for 38spl?

(Bucks County)

Default Love for 38spl?

I see so many threads dedicated to bottom feeders/magnums etc, but hardly any for the prior centuries, IMO, most abundant caliber, the 38spl. I reload, and love to experiment with different loadings. It's not just a practice round for my 357mags, but is in it's own category and place in line for open carry as well. What say you?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Love for 38spl?

I carry and enjoy the .38 Special. Who cares what others think, it works. The special cartridge has been putting baddies down for 100 years and plinking precision for the same century.

Wheel guns are not just for old guys, unless I am considered old. I prefer the rotating cylinder to the autoloader, especially for fun at the range.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Luzerne County)

It all about the "sale". Basic firearm design has not changed much in tha last 100 years. Smokless powder, non corrosive primers, stainless steel /alloy construction, and plastic parts are the major changes over time. Firearms, in most part, do not "wear out" say,like automobiles. The firearms industry must use other means to keep up sales. It will always be a new buzz word or the next new way to slice bread. Its all about the "sale"

(Bucks County)

Just picked up a 70s vintage Colt Detective in excellent condition to add to my collection of 38spl wheel guns. My preferred CC is a 38spl.

One of my favorite southern rock bands. I deployed with Donnie Van Zant's nephew, too.

If I carried a wheel gun, it'd be a 38 special. It's plenty lethal with the right ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Delaware County)

I carry different guns depending on what I am wearing. My 38/357 is one I like to have. I hear all the reasons for having a 9mm with 19 rounds and a spare magazine, but I am not in Libya or Afganistan. If I need more than 5 or 6 shots, I am definitely in the a bad way. Most uses of self defense guns do not fire more than a couple rounds. So it's real life versus the "what if's" of others.

I like my chances with accuracy and consistent training. The 38 does what I need. My main carry weapon is the Walther PPK in 380 I bought in 1978. Double/single action.

"The gun you have with you is better than the one you left at home in the gun safe."
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

I started out with autos - a Colt Combat Commander to be exact- then switched to the brand new (at the time - yes I am THAT old) Glock 17 - even though it was only a 9mm. While I have continued to collect autos over the years and shoot them well, I think my favorite carry gun is my S&W humpbacked bodyguard airweight. Mostly due to the simplicity, weight, and natural pointing ability (for me) . I do not feel under-gunned with 5 shots of Hornady critical defense +P and a couple of speed strips in my back pocket.

Cb

(Beaver County)

Got a half dozen or so wheel guns in 357/38. Absolutely love them. I actually enjoy shooting wheel guns over my bottom feeders. Even the odd balls I have like the 41 mag and the 500. All great guns. I'm soon adding a 357/38 lever gun to the collection. It's a great cartridge to shoot, hunt and plink with. Most if my wheel guns are all Dan Wessons from the mid 70's to early 80's. Just my better half's snubbie and my 500 are the only new ones I have.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Adams County)

yes the .38 spl made when men were men and guns were steel. made when you did not have to have a lawyer ok your design.

the one time i had to use a pistol for a sd event. it was a .357 loaded with a .38spl case with a 358429 bullet over a heavy charge of 2400. this is a load skeeter skelton used a lot.

(Lackawanna County)

The 3 of us in this family use Chief Specials 1 7/8 snubbies for protection, 38spl will get the job done.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast