Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Orlando (Used to live in Allegheny County), Florida

Default Carrying/Possession On SEPTA from PHL

I have three questions.

I have a Florida CWFL that is valid in PA. Given that it is legal to carry concealed (or for that matter open) outside the TSA sterile area at the airport terminal, I am assuming that carrying either way is legal on the train line to downtown Philly.

1. What station should I use to get off to be in downtown Philly?
    2. What station connects me with the rest of SEPTA?
    3. Regarding the 30th Street Station, is AMTRAK physically separate from SEPTA within the station building?

I would like to arm up in a handicapped rest room stall before I get on the train to Killadelphia.
    George H. Foster - Orlando, Florida (Formerly Allegheny County)

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Carrying/Possession On SEPTA from PHL

Quote Originally Posted by GHF View Post
    I have three questions.

I have a Florida CWFL that is valid in PA. Given that it is legal to carry concealed (or for that matter open) outside the TSA sterile area at the airport terminal, I am assuming that carrying either way is legal on the train line to downtown Philly.

1. What station should I use to get off to be in downtown Philly?
    2. What station connects me with the rest of SEPTA?
    3. Regarding the 30th Street Station, is AMTRAK physically separate from SEPTA within the station building?

I would like to arm up in a handicapped rest room stall before I get on the train to Killadelphia.
    i will try to answer the best i can.
    1. for septa it would be the gallery which when you come street level will put you at about 11th and market. or suburban station which when you go street level will put you at city hall.
    2.the gallery or suburban station. should connect you with the septa trains and subway.
    3. Amtrak is separate from septa and i believe 30th street station since it is Amtrak they do have a no weapons policy. (but not positive)

hope some of this helps

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Carrying/Possession On SEPTA from PHL

You can't carry in 30th St. Station. See this thread, which referenced another incident which has Amtrak's official statement: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...t-station.html

If you want to go closer to Old City, you get off at Market East Station (The Gallery Mall is by there as philly.dan mentioned). If you want to be smack in the middle of the city by City Hall, then get off at Suburban Street Station.

SEPTA buses and subway stops are nearby at both stops. I believe most, if not all, SEPTA regional rails are also accessible at those 2 stops.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Orlando (Used to live in Allegheny County), Florida

Default Recap - Carrying/Possession On SEPTA from PHL

To simply state what I was able to learn from those who had more knowledge than I:

* 30th Street Station - Essentially AMTRAK. Avoid unless checking gun as if at the airport.
    * Suburban Station - Entrances at Broad, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th streets are where you can easily access the Regional Rail section that do not require going through private property. The ones at 16th, 17th and 18th are just stairwells in the sidewalk with big signs saying "Concourse" and "Regional Rail Suburban Station".
    * Market East Station - Entrance on the back side on Filbert Street leads directly to the station, and the Convention Center entrances are City Property. Avoid Market East at all costs though after dark due to the fact that it's overrun by the area bums. The Gallery entrance (locked when closed) involves private property and may be a no-guns allowed death zone.
    George H. Foster - Orlando, Florida (Formerly Allegheny County)

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Recap - Carrying/Possession On SEPTA from PHL

Quote Originally Posted by GHF View Post
    To simply state what I was able to learn from those who had more knowledge than I:

* 30th Street Station - Essentially AMTRAK. Avoid unless checking gun as if at the airport.
    * Suburban Station - Entrances at Broad, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th streets are where you can easily access the Regional Rail section that do not require going through private property. The ones at 16th, 17th and 18th are just stairwells in the sidewalk with big signs saying "Concourse" and "Regional Rail Suburban Station".
    * Market East Station - Entrance on the back side on Filbert Street leads directly to the station, and the Convention Center entrances are City Property. Avoid Market East at all costs though after dark due to the fact that it's overrun by the area bums. The Gallery entrance (locked when closed) involves private property and may be a no-guns allowed death zone.
    I CC in the Gallery. I'm not making a point of being hyper aware of signs though.

I wouldn't go as far as saying avoid market east at all costs these parts of Philly aren't kill zones. Sure there's occasional spillover from the bad parts of town but Center City isn't a shooting gallery overrun with gang crime

You can handle a couple old dudes asking for change! Probably won't even have to draw enjoy Philly

(Chester County)

Default Re: Recap - Carrying/Possession On SEPTA from PHL

George,

It's been a few years since I last flew through PHL. I re-armed in the bathroom without any issues.

For me, I took the Airport line to 30th Street and changed there for a Paoli train (because changing anywhere else involves riding through town twice. I stayed in the upper SEPTA area.

Center City isn't bad, but it isn't great, either.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911