Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Question for Sig owners

Is there really any difference in the newer Sig 2022 vs the Sig 229? I am looking to get a Sig in .40, and I am noticing the 2022 is several hundred dollars cheaper (even though it is the newer and latest model line?), and seems to be pretty much the same as the 229 as far as length, weight, function, etc...

UPDATE: after some more digging, Is the price difference because the 2022 is a polymer frame where the 229 is not?

Which do you prefer? I am leaning towards the 2022 because of the price. Any reason to reconsider? I have no issues with a Polymer framed gun.
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; November 17th, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Question for Sig owners

2022 has a Polymer frame (with different grip sizes) vs a 229 with a Alloy frame.

I'm a big Sig 229 fan, but for the dollar, the 2022 is a bargain that can't be beat.

The 2022 typically has a better out of the box trigger. Also the newer 229's have a LONG external extractor which hasn't been received too well by the Sig community.

I'd get the 2022, a bunch of magazines and a case or two of ammo, instead of a 229.
    Last edited by sigarms229; November 17th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sigarms229 View Post
    2022 has a Polymer frame (with different grip sizes) vs a 229 with a Alloy frame.

I'm a big Sig fan, but for the dollar, the 2022 is a bargain that can't be beat.

The 2022 typically has a better out of the box trigger. Also the newer 229's have a LONG external extractor which hasn't been received too well by the Sig community.

I'd get the 2022, a bunch of magazines and a case or two of ammo, instead of a 229.
    Different grip sizes? you mean you add a thicker one or change them to your liking or would the whole receiver be changed?

(Philadelphia County)

Sig makes three different grip sizes for the 2022. They snap right on.
    I love classic alloy Sigs but my 2022 shoots as well as my 228.

Timely post. I have the same thoughts on the Sigs. Subscribing to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    Which do you prefer? I am leaning towards the 2022 because of the price. Any reason to reconsider?
    I bought a bunch of Taurus polymers for the same reason...price! The negative side to this is the resale and trade in value suffers terribly. Seems to be the same way with the 2022, though not as bad as Taurus. Other than that, it is hard to beat for the price.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Question for Sig owners

The Sig 2022 is part of Sig's polymer line, sort of a reaction to the GLocks, M&P & XD's... the P229 ( I own the P226 & P228 & P239) are all metal guns, hence the extra cost. If you look around (forum classifieds) you can find good deals on used metal Sig's.... which I prefer, but to each his own. I personally have not shot a polymer Sig, just handled them. Personally (and I do mean my personal preference) is for the metal Sigs. That being said, it's your choice, buy that which suits yours needs and wallet best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    Is there really any difference in the newer Sig 2022 vs the Sig 229? I am looking to get a Sig in .40, and I am noticing the 2022 is several hundred dollars cheaper (even though it is the newer and latest model line?), and seems to be pretty much the same as the 229 as far as length, weight, function, etc...

UPDATE: after some more digging, Is the price difference because the 2022 is a polymer frame where the 229 is not?

Which do you prefer? I am leaning towards the 2022 because of the price. Any reason to reconsider? I have no issues with a Polymer framed gun.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I bought a bunch of Taurus polymers for the same reason...price! The negative side to this is the resale and trade in value suffers terribly. Seems to be the same way with the 2022, though not as bad as Taurus. Other than that, it is hard to beat for the price.
    I don't sell or trade guns I buy, I keep them for life so this wont be an issue for me. This will be my first Sig, and I want to make sure I am making a good decision.

I looked at the P229 earlier this year to use for IDPA. I really liked the P229, but I wanted the newer Elite model and couldn't find one anywhere. I then looked at the P250 and the SP2022. I liked that the SP2022 had the same ergonomics of the classic P series alloy guns like my wife's P226, but cost a third of the price. I also liked the P250, but I didn't want double action only.

I found a used SP2022 in .40 cal in the classifieds section, bought a bunch of police trade-in mags from Top Gun Supply, had a Vigilance Tactical make me holster for it, and I've been competing with it ever since.

For a polymer gun, it handles the snap of the .40 cal very well. Almost as well as my P239; which is the best shooting .40 cal I've ever shot.

You cannot go wrong with the P229 or the SP2022. It just depends on how much you want to spend. Hell, get both.

(Mercer County)

IMHO

I would go with P229 as it was designed by SIG to handle the higher velocity of the .357 SIG & 40 S&W (short and weak); the slide on the P229 was changed from cast to machined steel to withstand the high velocity return
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast