Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Pics Check with call back?

I called in the insta check on one of my buddies last night at about 6pm. Now he has never been in any kind of trouble not even a speeding ticket. No pfa or anything of that kind. He hasn't bought any new guns in over a year and only owns 1 handgun. He was put into Research, which is wierd because he has always went right thru. But heres the kicker the call center high up called back after about 2 mins. wanting to know what kind of gun he was buying " long gun or hand gun". I said long gun then he wanted to know the exact gun and its use " hunting..etc." I told them hunting and its an old enfield.
    Now heres my problem as i reflect on the happenings, It's my understanding that beyond a pistol they aren't supposed to know what your buying. Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks and yes i work at a Gun shop so i can run background checks.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Pics Check with call back?

This is beginning to become real bullshit. It seems like everyday now there is another case of someone being denied or "undetermined" where they still have to go through the reversal process anyways. This responsibility needs to be taken away from the PSP in a bad way. They need to go back to protect and serve.

The whole PICS process is supposed to be "instant" if they don't have a legitimate reason to deny within 5 minutes then you should be approved on the spot. Why do we waste money on PICS anyways? Why not just use NICS for free like everyone else?

LTCF being revoked got you down?
    PICS/ Background checks taking 15 days, OR MORE,
    Be sure to send a huge thank you to our Gov. Rendell, he'll be sure to console with further violations in the future!!!!!!!!
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Montgomery County)

Does your friend have a common last name? Could be someone else with the same or similar last name was recently denied. I've been asked by PICS before whether it is hand gun or a long gun. Only once did they ask for make and model. Yes, I work in a gunshop also. PICS could be making sure that the firearm is in logged in your inventory. Since he has been approved before, you'll probably get the call back saying he is approved.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
    Does your friend have a common last name? Could be someone else with the same or similar last name was recently denied. I've been asked by PICS before whether it is hand gun or a long gun. Only once did they ask for make and model. Yes, I work in a gunshop also. PICS could be making sure that the firearm is in logged in your inventory. Since he has been approved before, you'll probably get the call back saying he is approved.
    Beat me to it was going to ask the same thing. Even a misspelling could have caused the PICS to ask.

My last name can be spelled any number of ways. Was almost denied a hunting license once because of my last name being on the Game Commission list

(Bucks County)

There is a bill before The General Assembly this monday that will consider an amendment that would allow an LTC to be used in place of a PICS check. The bill is HB1845 and the amendment is A05706. See alert here. There's more at stake hear than PICS.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    There is a bill before The General Assembly this monday that will consider an amendment that would allow an LTC to be used in place of a PICS check. The bill is HB1845 and the amendment is A05706. See alert here. There's more at stake hear than PICS.
    Playing the devils advocate here, and perhaps just being ignorant, what
    legitimate use of a firearm would require the altering of the manufacturers
    serial number?

Is this just a matter of "If you give them an inch..." ?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by skyjerk View Post
    Playing the devils advocate here, and perhaps just being ignorant, what
    legitimate use of a firearm would require the altering of the manufacturers
    serial number?

Is this just a matter of "If you give them an inch..." ?
    I don't think there really is one. I'm supporting the pro-gun amendments to this bill, and will support it's eventual passage. What's more at stake is Castle Doctrine, and the possibility that the "Lost & Stolen" requirement gets added to the bill. We want the Castle Doctrine and PICS measure to pass. We don't want the Lost & Stolen bill to get amended to this.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Lycoming County)

Update: I got the approval # the next day. He doesn't have a very common last name there's only like 10 other people in the phone book. And he has high level clearence at power plants. It was just wierd that he was delayed and had never been before. And the call back really confused me. The LTCF instead of the check would make life easier. Just as long as if a person gets in trouble they revoke it and we can check its validity. Thanks for your comments and ideas.

(Montgomery County)

It was probably the high level clearance for the power plants. I don't know why it is but we've had several people with high level clearance from the government get put into research and then get approved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast