Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default The Evolution of Teaching Math

Math 1957 - 2007

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of prod uction is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: The Evolution of Teaching Math

hahahahha!!

My gracioso tu chiste! Me re-cage de risa!!!!!!!!!!

Te voy a day un punto positivo de reputacion!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Cumberland County)

Press 1 for english....nah, hang up and deal with a different company!!!
    MOLON LABE

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHands View Post
    Press 1 for english....nah, hang up and deal with a different company!!!
    Good luck finding a company that is still in business that does not want a piece of the billions of dollars in business done by Spanish speaking consumers.

Wait 10 years. You'll be marcando dos para Ingles.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

true, unfortunately.

(Montgomery County)

Just as a side note, I had to call a hotel in Mexico for my boss to confirm a few things. I dialed the number let it ring, and after a few seconds I hear this pleasant Hispanic voice speak in spanish, then switch to English and say "For English, press two".

I blinked. Twice. Oh yeah, I'm the foreigner. I found the whole thing amusing.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    true, unfortunately.
    Please note, that I was not suggesting that it is a bad thing. There is nothing special about the English language other than it is remotely related to the language spoken by our founding fathers. The country constantly changes. The first settlers of this continent, other than the Indians, spoke Portugese. The next language will be Spanish. Perhaps Mandarin will be the next language after that. Who knows?
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    The first settlers of this continent, other than the Indians, spoke Portugese.
    you sure it wasn't vikingese? (possibly followed later by chinese/mongolian...and then only still later by portugese.)

on a serious note, i do hope the country sticks mostly with a single language.

my company does work for a canadian company, and they have to pay us twice as much to do twice as much work because we have to create an english version and a french version of everything. (and the french way of saying something always seems to takes up about twice as much space as english way, so you can't even use the same graphic design half the time.)

i think from a purely economic efficiency standpoint, it would be good to try to stick to one language. and, frankly, if i moved to mexico, i would expect to have to learn spanish. i think if one moves to a foreign country, one should expect to have to assimilate to some extent. i am not at all saying give up your culture, but you should want to become functional in the society you are moving into...rather than expecting the society to change to suit you, imho.

just 2 cents from someone who actually thinks the whole illegal immigration thing is blown way out of proportion (and becomes a scapegoat for the real underlying problems)...but still thinks people who come to this country (or any country) should try to assimilate to the point of being able to function without the society giving them special considerations.

(btw, i think the OP is hilarious and on point...not because of the spanish punchline, but because of how it traces the lowering of expectations for students.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; March 18th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

2008 Math Question...

A logger prepares a load of raw timber for shipping. He estimates that he has $1840 invested in labor to cut the trees down. $1000 in diesel to transport the logs. $9000 in permits and fees to operate the logging business. $3050 in parts to repair a skid loader damaged by protesting activists. $8000 in lawyer fees to file restraining orders against the activists. He sells the load of timber for $2500. How long until a Chinese timber company replaces his business with timber imported from oversea's?

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    2008 Math Question...

A logger prepares a load of raw timber for shipping. He estimates that he has $1840 invested in labor to cut the trees down. $1000 in diesel to transport the logs. $9000 in permits and fees to operate the logging business. $3050 in parts to repair a skid loader damaged by protesting activists. $8000 in lawyer fees to file restraining orders against the activists. He sells the load of timber for $2500. How long until a Chinese timber company replaces his business with timber imported from oversea's?
    They can't grow black cherry there, we're stuck growing them. Well as long as our species stay favorable and the world doesn't go to particle board.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast