Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: In a Pickle

(Cumberland County)

Default In a Pickle

I live in Harrisburg, and work downtown. I walk to work and it's about 15 minutes to my work. I have a firearm and a license to carry and the PURPOSE of this is because of the sketchy places I have to walk past to get to work. I can't afford parking downtown so it's really my only option. My work does not allow me to take my gun on the premises, but like I said I need it for my walk to and from work. Does anyone know of a place where I could check my gun in and lock it while I'm at work everyday?

Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: In a Pickle

A self storage facility if you trust a padlock, and if you can find one in the vicinity of your employer.

Do you work for a big corporation that you stand no chance of getting a policy change?

Is there a bank nearby your work? You could rent a small safety deposit box and use that for storage...if the bank's hours would be in line with your work hours of course.

(Cumberland County)

Unfortunately the bank doesn't open until an hour and a half after I get in. My company is big and probably won't change their policy. I even suggested checking it at the door with Security and having them log and lock it but I don't see that even happening. Its a little ridiculous that there aren't resources available for this. I can't imagine I'm the only one who has this issue. Somebody could make a killing just putting a row of personal lockers in town somewhere. People bring stuff, not just guns, that they can't or don't want to bring into work all the time.

(Cumberland County)

And there isn't a storage facility within walking distance of my work unortunately

If there are two of you doing this, one could carry the frames in and the other could carry the slides. Neither of you would have an evil, complete gun in the building.

Yes, legally the frame or receiver is a firearm. But that's irrelevant to most company policies. They don't want you to have a "gun" on the premises, they don't necessarily care about "gun parts".

In practice, it would probably draw more attention than simply dismantling your own gun and separating the parts in the bathroom. It's a silly solution to a silly policy.

Not a perfect solution, but it's another tool in the toolbox.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Clinton County)

Carry a bow?

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Franklin County)

Maybe... a BIG can of bear spray and a good pair of sneakers.
    I once had a job where I was having a bad reaction to the chemicals we were using, I asked the doctor what could be done about it ..he said quit the job.
    Sorry thats all I got.

I'm familiar with downtown Harrisburg. I was going to mention a bank but I see that has already been discussed. Does the bus station or train station have lockers that can be rented? Consider businesses that offer locker or security box rentals such as a package shipping business, a gym, YMCA, Post Office, etc... The one thing to consider is the possibility of theft from any of these. If it were me I would consider taking the slide with me and locking up the frame. That way if it is stolen it is not as easily usuable perhaps saving you from some liability.

Does your employer make you go through security, metal detectors, etc?

Can you ride the bus to work to avoid walking through the area in question?

The best possibility would be to find a friend that lives close to work where you can drop it off. Offer to buy one of the single hand gun lock boxes ($75) and then you don't have to worry the friend might get curious. Do you have any "gun friendly" coworkers that drive to work? Can you secure it in their vehicle? Same idea... buy a locking container and leave it in the friend's trunk.

Lastly... offer a coworker a few bucks a week to drive you to/from work.

You can check it in with the cop that is sitting in the entrance in city hall. You could check it in, take your key, walk across the lobby to an exit door and walk outside. All of that assumes they are open before you need to arrive.

Where are you walking from? I live in midtown.
    You cannot turn the other cheek if you are already dead.