Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default The *other* Austrian Poly-frame, striker-fired, DAO Semi-Auto

Anyone have one of these yet? I haven't heard a peep about them until I saw an ad for it in last month's issue of Guns & Ammo.

Looks like a pretty solid design-- decidedly another "Glock-alike," but the look is starting to grow on me.

Steyr M-A1
    Last edited by calypsocoral; November 16th, 2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Forgot the Link

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: The *other* Austrian Poly-frame, striker-fired, DAO Semi-Auto

Steyr? FIne looking piece and the maker has a long and excellent history.

Just try to find accessoroes for them e.g. holsters, mag holders, spare mags etc. and let me know what you find.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by calypsocoral View Post
    Anyone have one of these yet? I haven't heard a peep about them until I saw an ad for it in last month's issue of Guns & Ammo.

Looks like a pretty solid design-- decidedly another "Glock-alike," but the look is starting to grow on me.

Steyr M-A1
    I have one. Glock like because it was designed by same guy who made Glock
    Little odd to field strip. Great design trapazoid sights. I've only shot 50 round or so through mine so far - but no problems!

(York County)

There is another one making inroads into the U.S. market with the same
    person who worked at Glock and Steyr. It is the Caracal, made in the
    UAE.(UNITED ARAB EMERATES) and Germany. William Baubitz? Check it
    out on youtbe.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Cumberland County)

Nothing new about these, they've been out since the 90s, the newest iteration in 2004.

Here is an earlier post (with some edits) I made on the topic. Hope you find it helpful...

I have an M9A1 and have been using it in USPSA Production division and IDPA SSP. I really like the gun. The trigger is unbelieveable and the trapezoidal sights are really quick to pick-up. The ergonomics are also very good. That's the good - but before you plunk down your cash, there are a couple things you should know.

The latest model is still designated the M-A1. They didn't change the model designation after the last round of upgrades. There are two ways to tell if you are getting the latest version. Only the newest ones have a cross-pin through the slide, just slightly below and behind the rear sight dovetail. This pin is used to improve the trigger. Older models did not have this pin and trigger pull was heavier. In order to add this into the fire control mechanism, Steyr had to delete the loaded chamber indicator (LCR), which was a pin protruding from the rear of the slide (longitudinally) when a round was chambered. Both old and new versions have a barrel-hood cut-out so you can check chamber status - the LCR was redundant. Those are the two methods to distinguish old from new - both designated M-A1. New guns have the cross-pin and do not have the LCR.

All that being said, these guns have a history of FTE malfunctions. It seems there is no rhyme nor reason as to which guns will function right out of the box and which will fall prey to the FTE malady. Fortunately they have excellent factory support and the standard response to FTE complaints is to send out a new extractor - which works most of the time. Beyond that, the gun should go back.

There may still be some inexpensive ones around that were part of a batch from a cancelled military contract from some mid-eastern country. These are 2004 slides on newer frames, and are therefore slightly more prone to the FTE failures, plus the triggers are not as good as the newest version because these are equipped with LCR's. These were imported by PW Arms out of Washington state and are so rollmarked (as required by law) on the slide. Since these were not brought in through Steyr USA, I am unsure of their warranty status. My feeling is that Steyr would support them up to a point, but it would be best to call Steyr and find out for certain before purchasing one of these cancelled military contract guns. They have been around for awhile and several of the big Internet retailers have them. Going price is usually appx $399 - $425, gun only.

New M-1A's can generally be had for $575 to $600 OTD. Magazines are readily available - I got 15 rd mags from Robertson's Trading Post (most likely part of the military contract guns - take-outs from guns being shipped to ban states). They were only a dollar less than from Steyr, but they had flat-rate shipping - $5 for as many as you want. Mags are by Mecgar and appear very similar to S&W M&P mags.

I bought a new M9-A1 and shot it for the very first time at back-to-back USPSA matches. It was abyssmal. I only made it, malfunction free, through 2 stages out of 11 without having multiple episode of FTE's. Called Steyr and they sent me a new extractor. I installed it and the gun has run perfectly ever since. My friend bought one of the military guns, and has, thus far, only range tested it, but, also thus far, has had no malfunctions. Round count on mine is now somewhere north of 1000 perfect rounds with no problem.

Holsters and mag pouches are readily available from Blade Tech. Other makers also make holsters for these guns - you can check out the forum at Steyrclub.com for makers.

I love my Steyr, but you need to enter into this with your eyes wide open and your expectations realistic. Buy a new gun from Steyr and know you have factory support (as well as the great trigger), or save some bucks and, who knows?

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I was pretty close to getting a Steyr, but... due to the scarcity of really anything for it, as well as the cost for a "new" new one. Common sense said be boring - buy a Glock instead.

I am not unhappy with my decision.

(Lawrence County)

I love my M40. If they had a decent trigger kit and a 5" gun, I'd sell my G35. Even deeper grip angle, fully supported chamber and smoother operation.....just no real aftermarket.

Lycansadthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

My last trip to the "Steyr well" was with a GB in the 80s. I wanted it because of the high round count...19 in the mag...but it was very hard to shoot well. I have big hands and the GB trigger was out of the reach of my finger and the trigger pull was like dragging a hacksaw through rusty metal. No holsters...spare mags higher than the sky IF you could locate one. Still see mine in a gun shop where I traded it off in the 80s. Poor guys hate me over it.
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

(Lawrence County)

The GB isn't even close to the new Steyrs.

Lycannotagoodcomparisonthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.