Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Smile Where do I start...

I am 25 years old and have absolutely no previous experience handling or shooting guns in any way. However, I work in the Southwest section of Philadelphia and feel it might be necessary for me to look into getting a firearm of some sort. I want to go through the right process however. I want to be educated on the current laws and applications of those laws. In addition, I want to learn what might be the best type of gun for me and how to handle it with responsibility and respect. If anyone can help with information it would be greatly appreciated. I hate going into any new venture without getting my facts straight. Thanks in advance for any advice given. I truly appreciate it!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Where do I start...

Quote Originally Posted by bleedgreen87 View Post
    I am 25 years old and have absolutely no previous experience handling or shooting guns in any way. However, I work in the Southwest section of Philadelphia and feel it might be necessary for me to look into getting a firearm of some sort. I want to go through the right process however. I want to be educated on the current laws and applications of those laws. In addition, I want to learn what might be the best type of gun for me and how to handle it with responsibility and respect. If anyone can help with information it would be greatly appreciated. I hate going into any new venture without getting my facts straight. Thanks in advance for any advice given. I truly appreciate it!
    1. Apply for your LTCF. This allows you to carry open or concealed in Philadelphia. Even transporting an unloaded firearm can be problematic without one. The cost is only $20 but Philly is known for dragging out the process as long as it can so that is why I listed it first, even before you buy a firearm. Note, you do not need a LTCF to purchase a firearm, but without a LTCF especially in Philly you are very limited on where you can transport and carry. There is allot of information on this site on how to do it.

2. Take a basic class like NRA Basic Pistol. This will get you acquainted with the basic rules of firearms safety and handling as well as the basics of marksmanship. Allot of shooting/sportsman clubs offer these to non members, as well as private ranges or through an independent instructor. Someone with more knowledge of your area can give specific recommendations.

3. Try and shoot some different firearms. Some ranges rent them. If you know someone who owns firearms they could help with this as well. I would volunteer to bring you out to a range session but I live on the other side of the state.

4. Based off steps 2 & 3 decide what firearm you want and buy it.

5. Get advanced training. In both the defensive use of your firearm and in firearms law. I'll let someone else chime in on what defensive training is available in your area and from whom. For the later I know Phil Kline AKA Gunlawyer001 holds well reviewed firearms law workshops in your neck of the woods.

6. Practice what you have learned as much as your time and budget will allow.

Welcome to PAFOA and the greater 2A community.
    Last edited by QuackXP; November 16th, 2012 at 02:10 PM.

(Pike County)

You came to the right place

I'd recommend some formal NRA training, at least First Steps pistol orientation. We have quite few certified instructors in the area including myself, that will be able to educate you.

As of the legal part, it all commes to the degree of knowledge, that you are looking for. Worst case scenario, download "Your Pennsylvania gun rights" broshure, that will give you an idea. But if you can, then I'd strongly suggest registering at one of GunLawyer001 workshops.
    Je suis déplorable

Here is a link that gives you some basic information about getting a gun and includes links to pages with laws and more info.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/184...n-newbies.html

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Here is a link that gives you some basic information about getting a gun and includes links to pages with laws and more info.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/184...n-newbies.html
    Thanks for the link. I just pulled it up and will spend some time this afternoon reading through it. I greatly appreciate it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    1. Apply for your LTCF. This allows you to carry open or concealed in Philadelphia. Even transporting an unloaded firearm can be problematic without one. The cost is only $20 but Philly is known for dragging out the process as long as it can so that is why I listed it first, even before you buy a firearm. Note, you do not need a LTCF to purchase a firearm, but without a LTCF especially in Philly you are very limited on where you can transport and carry. There is allot of information on this site on how to do it.

2. Take a basic class like NRA Basic Pistol. This will get you acquainted with the basic rules of firearms safety and handling as well as the basics of marksmanship. Allot of shooting/sportsman clubs offer these to non members, as well as private ranges or through an independent instructor. Someone with more knowledge of your area can give specific recommendations.

3. Try and shoot some different firearms. Some ranges rent them. If you know someone who owns firearms they could help with this as well. I would volunteer to bring you out to a range session but I live on the other side of the state.

4. Based off steps 2 & 3 decide what firearm you want and buy it.

5. Get advanced training. In both the defensive use of your firearm and in firearms law. I'll let someone else chime in on what defensive training is available in your area and from whom. For the later I know Phil Kline AKA Gunlawyer001 holds well reviewed firearms law workshops in your neck of the woods.

6. Practice what you have learned as much as your time and budget will allow.

Welcome to PAFOA and the greater 2A community.
    Thanks for the detailed response. I actually printed out these steps and plan on using them as my guideline. I am a bit nervous now but I know that will go away with exposure and experience. Thanks again for the guidance and warm welcome!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    You came to the right place

I'd recommend some formal NRA training, at least First Steps pistol orientation. We have quite few certified instructors in the area including myself, that will be able to educate you.

As of the legal part, it all commes to the degree of knowledge, that you are looking for. Worst case scenario, download "Your Pennsylvania gun rights" broshure, that will give you an idea. But if you can, then I'd strongly suggest registering at one of GunLawyer001 workshops.
    Thanks for the advice. In regards to the orientation classes you spoke of, where can I get more information on them? for instance, where and how often are they offered and how much do they cost? Also, do I need to own my own gun before I can sign up?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the advice. In regards to the orientation classes you spoke of, where can I get more information on them? for instance, where and how often are they offered and how much do they cost? Also, do I need to own my own gun before I can sign up?
    Metz may be able to make a personal recomendation but here is the search site for the NRA. Look for "NRA FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation" and "NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course".

I think "NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course" is the better one as is more comprehensive but still a one day course.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Descriptions of the course can be found here:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx

Name : NRA FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation

Short Description : Firearm Instruction, Responsibility, and Safety Training — is the NRA’s response to the American public’s need for a firearm orientation program for new purchasers.

More Details: NRA FIRST Steps Pistol is designed to provide a hands-on introduction to the safe handling and proper orientation to one specific pistol action type for classes of four or fewer students. This course is at least three hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot a specific pistol action type. Students will learn the NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; the particular pistol model parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, FIRST Steps Course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan, revised 4-11).
    Name : NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course

Short Description : Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely.

More Details: This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 2nd edition, 2009, 02/11)

(Pike County)

Thanks for the advice. In regards to the orientation classes you spoke of, where can I get more information on them? for instance, where and how often are they offered and how much do they cost?
    You can either follow QuackXP links or schedule the class right here. Most instructors that I know will do on demand class, pretty much any [reasonable] date/time you'll agree upon.

I'd suggest for you to take a 3 hr First Steps Pistol orientation class. The prices will vary between, probably, $75 to $150 per student in our area. I personally charge $125 (I provide course materials) + range fee (it's $15 per day and I do it at Wicen's or we can arrange something at Colossimo).
    Also, do I need to own my own gun before I can sign up?
    Ok, technically, First Steps revolves around one (student's) gun, so theoretically, student must have it. However, my personal common sense dictates, that one should learn basics first and only THEN make more or less educated purchase decision. So I have no problem letting the student use one of my guns (that goes into the Certificate in the end) at no charge. Most instructor that I know will do the same.
    Je suis déplorable

(Delaware County)

Lots of great info on this forum. Spend some serious time reading and check out the laws.

Where are you working in southwest Philly? I take it you are an Eagles fan, am I correct?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.