Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Recoil issues for a beginner

Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the handgun scene, and have been going back and forth between a 9mm vs a .40. I've picked out a few solid options in both calibers, but as a novice in handguns I'd like some advice/opinions on the recoil of a typical .40 semi-auto

I will most likely not have the chance to go to the range prior to buying to test the two options out, so that's why I'm posting a thread on here. I've shot with a 38 special revolver and a .44mag revolver as reference points.

The upside for the .40 for me is the stopping power, the downside is the recoil and that the ammo is a little more pricey than 9mm. For a beginner who has never shot a .40, should I be concerned about the recoil in comparison to a 9mm? In your opinion would it be wiser to just go with a 9mm and learn to shoot it well? Will the stopping power of a 9mm be enough in a typical, say 1400sqft, home defense setting?

Thanks.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Recoil issues for a beginner

Well this thread is going to turn into a caliber debate....

Neither will feel like a .44 mag. Depending on what gun you are looking at the .40 might have much more snap than the 9mm.

But I say go with 9mm. It is cheaper to shoot. For defensive purposes, the person wouldn't know the difference if he/she was hit with a 9mm or a .40. In my opinion, if you want more "power" than 9mm but don't wanna get a .45, then .357 Sig is the only way I would go.

What gun(s) are you looking at? Is this strictly home defense or do you plan on carrying as well?

Quote Originally Posted by chillafusion View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the handgun scene, and have been going back and forth between a 9mm vs a .40. I've picked out a few solid options in both calibers, but as a novice in handguns I'd like some advice/opinions on the recoil of a typical .40 semi-auto

I will most likely not have the chance to go to the range prior to buying to test the two options out, so that's why I'm posting a thread on here. I've shot with a 38 special revolver and a .44mag revolver as reference points.

The upside for the .40 for me is the stopping power, the downside is the recoil and that the ammo is a little more pricey than 9mm. For a beginner who has never shot a .40, should I be concerned about the recoil in comparison to a 9mm? In your opinion would it be wiser to just go with a 9mm and learn to shoot it well? Will the stopping power of a 9mm be enough in a typical, say 1400sqft, home defense setting?

Thanks.
    The recoil will of course largely depend on the size and weight distribution of the pistol. If you're buying full-sized, I wouldn't really worry about the recoil of a .40 vs that of a 9mm. My first handgun was a M&P40c. I thoroughly enjoy that gun and still shoot better with it than my 9mms. It has less recoil than some of the compacts in 9mm due to its weight distribution. What models are you considering?

All that being said, I would probably still go with a 9mm as your first pistol due to cost of ammo alone. It'll do what you need it to do.

Yes, full sized, well balances handgun will have less recoil. Another important thing to consider is your GRIP. There are different ways of holding your firearm. Take a class, or cheaper yet, check youtube for different ways to hold your gun. If it was me, I'd just get a 9mm. You wanna practice at the range, with the gun that you will use "when it counts". Since 9mm is cheaper, I'd use that.

Or a 12 gauge.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Bucks County)

There's really no empirical evidence that .40 S&W has more stopping power than 9mm. I would not recommend that you buy any type of gun that you're not comfortable shooting, and having never shot anything in .40 S&W before, you face a bit of a conundrum.

There's nothing wrong with 9mm. But if you really doubt it, what's stopping you from getting out there and trying to shoot some .40?

If you really want devastating stopping power for home defense, get a shotgun.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

I guess rather than give a huge list, I'll just list my first options in either.. For 9mm I like the Ruger P95 (stainless of course) and the Beretta PX4.... I also like the PX4 for .40cal, but also like the Bersa T40DTPHC, and the S&W SD40...

Any personal experience with any of those as far as recoil?

As far as carrying.. I most likely will not be concealed carrying; It's most likely going to be solely a home defense gun, something in the night-stand or whatnot.

(Bucks County)

I guess rather than give a huge list, I'll just list my first options in either.. For 9mm I like the Ruger P95 (stainless of course) and the Beretta PX4.... I also like the PX4 for .40cal, but also like the Bersa T40DTPHC, and the S&W SD40...

As far as carrying.. I most likely will not be concealed carrying; It's most likely going to be solely a home defense gun, something in the night-stand or whatnot.
    Any reason you're not considering .45ACP?
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    There's really no empirical evidence that .40 S&W has more stopping power than 9mm. I would not recommend that you buy any type of gun that you're not comfortable shooting, and having never shot anything in .40 S&W before, you face a bit of a conundrum.

There's nothing wrong with 9mm. But if you really doubt it, what's stopping you from getting out there and trying to shoot some .40?

If you really want devastating stopping power for home defense, get a shotgun.
    Agreed... I already have my 12gauge ready to go, but I would like a handgun. Right now I'm in a very rural area with no real place to just go and "try out" various guns.

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    Any reason you're not considering .45ACP?
    Ammo costs, and wouldn't that have even more recoil than a .40?

One used to be able to get the S&W SD in a kit with rail-light and other goodies. I'm not sure if they still offer it. Plus the lifetime warranty is always nice. That would be my choice out of the ones you mentioned since you're strictly looking for home defense.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast