Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default About that time.

I have been waiting for this day ever since I researched he laws in regarding carry in PA. I went in to the Norristown courthouse this afternoon and was out in 15 min.

Been concealing it(TRP 1911) all day. Need to now find time to break my OC cherry.

Feels great.

Default Re: About that time.

Congrats!

I wouldn't jump right into OCing just for the sake of doing it...until you feel you are ready.

Perhaps you've already read this, but if not, check it out
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

(Montgomery County)

I have been reading up on it since ive joined, haha. But your right, I have been concealing it(as much as I want to OC) just to get a feel for carrying, however I'm gonna go to safety spots who are OC friendly. before I take on the great public.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    I have been reading up on it since ive joined, haha. But your right, I have been concealing it(as much as I want to OC) just to get a feel for carrying, however I'm gonna go to safety spots who are OC friendly. before I take on the great public.

Just be sure that OC is something you are mentally ready to do, don't OC just because it's a popular thing to do here on the forum. OC takes a whole different mindset than CC and both are not to be taken lightly.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Just be sure that OC is something you are mentally ready to do, don't OC just because it's a popular thing to do here on the forum. OC takes a whole different mindset than CC and both are not to be taken lightly.
    Wise words...

(Mercer County)

Glad to see you excited. Get use to cc first. Even in oc friendly areas you have to be ready for the public and the local Leo. Read up on other encounters people have had and see how they have handles it. There is also a flyer to print out such I recomend. Hope your first oc goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    This is very good advice. It took me a few months before I started to OC every now and then. Take your time. You're in no rush.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

It would behoove you to learn retention techniques and have a quality retention holster before OC'ing.

Youtube (as much as I hate to say it) is a good place to start watching for retention drills and techniques, but you should consider a hands on class. Most advanced firearms courses or defensive carry classes covers these techniques. Good Situational Awareness is a necessity.

Best way to starting to OC is to put the gun on at home and just go about your day. Maybe stop to get some gas, buy some gum, smokes, whatever. Once you get over that initial feeling of having a gun on you in public and thinking everyone is staring at you, Then it is time to move on up to Walmart!

Congrats on CC'ing and hope to hear you OC'ing soon!
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; November 18th, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I agree with the above.

I'd cc for a while until you're comfortable with being armed with no one aware. The last thing you want to do is get in over your head and make it a negative experience.

(Lehigh County)

I agree, I've OC'ed a total of 2 times, and I know exactly where I was at both times. Long story short, I discovered OCing just isn't for me, I have nothing against it, but I'm too paranoid of a person in general (not just that but in a variety of things)

but you need to find out for yourself if you're interested in doing it. hell, it takes time to get used to CCing at first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast