Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Montgo LTCF

Default Re: Montgo LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    Well, at least for Upper Merion PD it took mine a day. The guy said come in tomorrow, and i did, and i had it. I did not mind even if i waited cause it was still a week before my 21st when i had it done, but i would expect it would still take them just a day. I basically printed out the form from the county website, filled it out, and dropped it off at the UMPD

The general consensus ive heard is 2 weeks at the most, but it does depend who your local PD is.
    Nice. Good to hear!

(Delaware County)

To any new LTCF applicant, I got mine today. Went in, gave them my paperwork (yes police check card too), and was out in 15 minutes.

Kudos to the guys in the office.
    HAHA! no.

I only received my police check card before 21. I received my LTCF the day I turned 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    You can't even APPLY until you're 21

The police check card is irrelevant since it is an illegal requirement
    Sounds to me like he filled out the paperwork ahead of time, but actually APPLIED on his 21 birthday, totally legal.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Sounds to me like he filled out the paperwork ahead of time, but actually APPLIED on his 21 birthday, totally legal.
    That is how I read it too. He stopped at the UM Police Dept a week or so before his birthday. Then he went to Norristown on or just after his birthday and got his LTCF.

(Montgomery County)

Local police check isn't the sheriff.. The local pd just check your background which does not change.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Montgomery County)

I turned in the background check to the Upper Gwynedd Police and received it back in about three weeks. I took it to the court house, paid my twenty bucks and was done in about twenty minutes. I received my concealed carry permit in December, 2012 and February 1, 2013 was denied a gun purchase. I filled out the form the gun store clerk gave me and mailed it the same day.

I am waiting for their reply.

(Montgomery County)

When I went thru the process I took my local check to the station closest to me at stump and horsham rd. Got it back the next day. Took it to norristown and was out in a few minutes. Shit was nice.

(Montgomery County)

It seems like Limerick Twnshp is taking ~week with check card. Other than the week waiting, the courthouse was fast and smooth.
    ....Then Piers Morgan came on and I almost got a concussion from facepalming so hard.

After several posts about wait time on police check cards I thought I would post the statute outlining the issuance process of a LTCF.

As you read the statute posted below, note that: #1 nowhere does it say that you must fill out a police check card, #2 also states that the application shall be limited to one page (which makes the additional check card non-compliant with state law), #3 explicitly states that "issuing authorities shall use ONLY the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police" (which also makes the check card non-compliant). #4 clearly states that it is the Sheriff's responsibility to investigate character, criminal record etc., which would exclude the local police.

This is NOT legal advice, draw your own conclusions. I thought that a refresher on the LTCF application process might save people some time and hassle. This is also NOT a personal attack against people that got the check card, just to be clear .

link to full statute text: http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/
    (c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason. The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement: I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.
    (d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--
    The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
    (1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
    (2) investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;

(3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;

(4) investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and

(5) conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application.
    Last edited by jpg5080; February 18th, 2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: formatted for easier reading
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Delaware County)

The MONTCO Sheriff does not require the applicant to take care of the check card, they just say if you do it yourself the process will be completed faster. The sheriff also claims (I forget where I read it) that the check card is part of their investigation, this is how they get away with it.

There are 67 counties in PA, it seems as if no two are alike in the LTCF process so no matter what the regs say, they do what they do. People have to choose between jumping through the hoops to get their LTCF in a timely manner or protest the process and delaying the issue of the LTCF.

The DELCO sheriff used to be worse than he is now, I complained to the PA AG, who at the time was more gun friendly than our current one, and I was told the AG has no jurisdiction over how the various sheriff's complete the process, that in fact it was up to the voters to tell him what they want.

Enough people complained directly and he (DELCO) got a little more in line with the regs.

So while knowing what the law says is a good thing, and advised, it's doesn't mean they haven't found their own loopholes and apply them to the process.

People may win individual battles with their sheriff, but unless someone with a lot of time and money takes one of these sheriffs to court and has a legal precedent established there will always be hoops to jump through in some of these counties.

Quote Originally Posted by jpg5080 View Post
    After several posts about wait time on police check cards I thought I would post the statute outlining the issuance process of a LTCF.

As you read the statute posted below, note that: #1 nowhere does it say that you must fill out a police check card, #2 also states that the application shall be limited to one page (which makes the additional check card non-compliant with state law), #3 explicitly states that "issuing authorities shall use ONLY the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police" (which also makes the check card non-compliant). #4 clearly states that it is the Sheriff's responsibility to investigate character, criminal record etc., which would exclude the local police.

This is NOT legal advice, draw your own conclusions. I thought that a refresher on the LTCF application process might save people some time and hassle. This is also NOT a personal attack against people that got the check card, just to be clear .

link to full statute text: http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker
    The MONTCO Sheriff does not require the applicant to take care of the check card, they just say if you do it yourself the process will be completed faster. The sheriff also claims (I forget where I read it) that the check card is part of their investigation, this is how they get away with it.

There are 67 counties in PA, it seems as if no two are alike in the LTCF process so no matter what the regs say, they do what they do. People have to choose between jumping through the hoops to get their LTCF in a timely manner or protest the process and delaying the issue of the LTCF.

The DELCO sheriff used to be worse than he is now, I complained to the PA AG, who at the time was more gun friendly than our current one, and I was told the AG has no jurisdiction over how the various sheriff's complete the process, that in fact it was up to the voters to tell him what they want.

Enough people complained directly and he (DELCO) got a little more in line with the regs.

So while knowing what the law says is a good thing, and advised, it's doesn't mean they haven't found their own loopholes and apply them to the process.

People may win individual battles with their sheriff, but unless someone with a lot of time and money takes one of these sheriffs to court and has a legal precedent established there will always be hoops to jump through in some of these counties.
    I don't have to renew for a couple years yet, but good to know that the Montco Sheriff does not require the applicants to fill out the check card.

I don't mind waiting 45 days to get my renewed LTCF so long as I don't have to fill out a check card.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast