• Savage Model 11

13 54.17%
  • Ruger American Rifle

9 37.50%
  • Something else (specify)

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Savage Model 11 or Ruger American Rifle?

Long story short, I brought home a Savage Model 11 FNS in .308 from a gun bash. I was really looking for Ruger American Rifle, but everyone is telling me the Savage is a better gun. I'm thinking about putting the Savage up for sale and buying the American.

Both have free floated barrels. The accu-trigger on the Savage is wonderful and feels like it's adjusted to a 2 lbs pull. I have not been able to try the trigger on the American.

The American has a detachable magazine, a feature that I like. The Savage does not.

I'm not really sure what do as I can't find much info about the Savage. I've read plenty of glowing reviews on the American which is what prompted me to look for one. What's your take?

EDIT: I should add that I'm looking to punch paper up to 300 yards.
    Last edited by KPShooting; November 5th, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Savage Model 11 or Ruger American Rifle?

I like the ruger american but I would not trade a savage to get one. Unless the detachabe magazine really turns you on I cannot think of one thing that the ruger would do better than the savage.

There is likely a bottom metal kit that would allow you to run detachable mags on the savage if that's the only thing you like of the ruger over the savage.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Savage make some great rifles. I'm not sure that I would pick the Ruger over a Savage model 11. The Accutrigger is nice too.

As mentioned above, you can get your Savage outfitted with bottom metal that allows detachable mags if that's what's keeping you away form the Savage.

Here's a guy in Florida making bottom metal. He's one of the few that make them for a 300 win mag weatherby I own and have been considering trying.

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Monroe County)

The ruger was a copy/improvement of the savage axis. The model 11 is a better over all gun then the axis. So why downgrade to a cheaper gun?
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the responses. I never knew about bottom metal kits. I'm not sure the gun is really worth the investment of the kit + new stock + smithing to get it all together though. Maybe I'll just stick with the hinged floorplate for now.

(Bucks County)

Ruger is American made.

Ruger also has metal inserts along the stock for bedding, does that model of the savage?

I bought my first savage at the beginning of this year. The accu trigger is nice, and the gun has aluminum bedding block versus wedges. It shoots very nice.

BUT, I still do not see a difference between the savage and my remington model 700.

So.. to me you can't go wrong with a ruger. I believe they have the same extraction type as well.

(Lawrence County)

No way I'd trade a Savage for a Ruger unless it was a Savage Axis maybe. I have two Savages now, a model 11 in 7mm-08 and a model 110 in 30-06 both are sub moa shooters right out of the box.

You can change your hinged floor plate to a detachable magazine very easily, you already have the magazine built into the gun, you just need a bottom plate for it and the bottom metal for the stock to accept the magazine. No stock change or gunsmith is required. Call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply at (763) 682-4296. He probably has both pieces that you need and I'd bet it's only around $100.

I checked into everything when I switched mine and went with the factory mags. I didn't care for the CDI Precision because the magazines stick down below the stock instead of flush like the Savage setup and it was expensive, I think around $300.

The other nice thing about the Savages is how easy it is to switch calibers, all you need is a barrel nut wrench and you can swap barrels to whatever caliber you want. You can pick up a brand new ER Shaw barrel that comes with the gauge to headspace that caliber for $125 or you can find used barrels anywhere and just get the correct gauge. Check out this forum for anything you need to know about Savage rifles, http://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php
    Last edited by jerkin; November 8th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

(Luzerne County)

I spoke to a representative from Ruger on Thursday. They said they made some changes to the Ruger American and should see them before too long. I've had a Ruger American .308 ordered since June from my local supplier. Looking forward to getting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast