Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Just put a deposit down on a Ruger SR9C

Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to the firearm scene. Been out shooting a few times and have tried out many different handguns, whether it be shooting them at a range or holding them at a store. I've been doing research on here and other websites so that I more or less knew what I was getting into. After trying out different models and talking to several people, it seemed as if a 9mm was the way to go, seeing as I'm just starting out. Ammo is relatively cheap and easy to find as well. It really came down to the S&W M and P series and the Ruger SR series. Tonight I was at my local shop (The Handgunner in Topton, PA, and for those of you who don't already know about it, great shop! Randy and his crew are some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met, and really took the time to explain everything to me). I was shown several models, but I narrowed my selection down to the M&P's and the Rugers. I thought I had my mind set on a standard sized 9mm, but out came the Ruger SR9C, and man that thing felt great in my hand, and to be honest wasn't much smaller than the standard SR9. What I really liked about the SR9C over the M&P was the fact that it had a safety on the slide, and a ready to fire indicator on top, along with two different sized magazines. The extended grip felt great in my hand, and the shorter magazine is great for concealing. The trigger on the SR9C felt much smoother in my opinion than on the M&P. So, after going in thinking I wanted a standard sized 9mm, I walked out with a deposit placed on the SR9C And at a not too shabby price either, which by the way was the best price I found in my entire area.

So being a beginner, and after talking with the guys at The Handgunner, I felt a lot more comfortable about my soon to be purchase. Again, this is just to start out, mainly to go to the range with and for protection at home. So what do you guys think?

And also, I'm in Berks county. Anyone know where and when I can get my LTCF? Thanks!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Just put a deposit down on a Ruger SR9C

I've got a SR9C and I love it. Mine, with factory 115 gr bullets shoots exactly to POA (point of aim) out to 15 yds. I've run several types of ammo through it and now know where the POI (point of impact) is for those rounds also.

You will probably get some answers here where the person doen't like the manual safety or the loaded chamber indicator or both but that is personal preference. As long as you know how your firearm works and what you have to do to make it ready in a bad situation, that's all that matters.

Training and practice, practice, practice will build the muscle memory that you need to be able to do things under a stressful situation.

Couldn't give you an exact address but you get your LTCF at the Berks County sheriffs office.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northumberland County)

Look around at this forum we've made
    Equality our stock in trade
    Come and join the Brotherhood of PAFOA
    Oh, what a nice, contented world
    Let the banners be unfurled
    Hold your Ruger proudly high in hand

Congrats on the new piece, and sorry I just could not resist.

(Allegheny County)

I have one I really like it

(Monroe County)

THe SR9c is a very nice Gun, one of the best Handguns to be produced in the United States in the past 50 years, this coming from a Guy who owns about 25 Sigs, Berettas, CZ's and and Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to the firearm scene. Been out shooting a few times and have tried out many different handguns, whether it be shooting them at a range or holding them at a store. I've been doing research on here and other websites so that I more or less knew what I was getting into. After trying out different models and talking to several people, it seemed as if a 9mm was the way to go, seeing as I'm just starting out. Ammo is relatively cheap and easy to find as well. It really came down to the S&W M and P series and the Ruger SR series. Tonight I was at my local shop (The Handgunner in Topton, PA, and for those of you who don't already know about it, great shop! Randy and his crew are some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met, and really took the time to explain everything to me). I was shown several models, but I narrowed my selection down to the M&P's and the Rugers. I thought I had my mind set on a standard sized 9mm, but out came the Ruger SR9C, and man that thing felt great in my hand, and to be honest wasn't much smaller than the standard SR9. What I really liked about the SR9C over the M&P was the fact that it had a safety on the slide, and a ready to fire indicator on top, along with two different sized magazines. The extended grip felt great in my hand, and the shorter magazine is great for concealing. The trigger on the SR9C felt much smoother in my opinion than on the M&P. So, after going in thinking I wanted a standard sized 9mm, I walked out with a deposit placed on the SR9C And at a not too shabby price either, which by the way was the best price I found in my entire area.

So being a beginner, and after talking with the guys at The Handgunner, I felt a lot more comfortable about my soon to be purchase. Again, this is just to start out, mainly to go to the range with and for protection at home. So what do you guys think?

And also, I'm in Berks county. Anyone know where and when I can get my LTCF? Thanks!
    Here is the info from the berks county sheriff's dept. website that shows where you can get your LTCF http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/Sheri...nFirearms.aspx

(Berks County)

Thanks for the comments everyone! And also thanks for the LTCF info, I stumbled upon it myself as well after posting the question. Looks like I just missed the 3rd Thursday... Guess ill have to wait till next month, as I really don't feel like driving all the way into the county courthouse for it. I'd rather just drive the 2 minutes to my borough hall - LOL.

I have a friend who recently purchased an SR9C and yes, that's the first thing I notice was the factory trigger was exceptionally nice for this type of pistol. An improvement over my XD's, XDm's, or Glocks. Nice, high value weapon (believe he paid $380 out the door on a stainless one).
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Its a great starter gun. I have shot several in 9mm and .40 also. They were accurate and I have yet to see a malfunction. The chambered round indicator is also a good feature.

(Bucks County)

Shot my friends' SR9c this summer. I found it to be very light and accurate enough. The trigger, IMO, was scary though, almost hair-trigger-like. I guess it's something to get accustomed to, for sure. Good luck with yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast