Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Looking to buy a handgun, suggestions please?!

First off I would like to state that I am new to the forums. I have been a PA resident for a little over five years now. I already have my LTCF in PA and my dad and I have been to the range numerous times. I took the NRA basic pistol course and have been shooting my old mans Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm for about a year. I really like the Smith and Wesson. I have been renting other handguns at the range that I go to to get a feel for what I like.
    So far the two that have felt the best and I have also fired them with ease and precision are the Glock 19 Gen 3 and the CZ USA P07 Duty. I am looking for a carry gun but also a gun that will not be expensive to take to the range a couple times a month and practice. Any suggestions on the handguns I've mentioned. I also welcome input on other pistols that I haven't mentioned!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Looking to buy a handgun, suggestions please?!

Eddie, It sounds like you are taking your new hobby very seriously. I carry the Glock 19 for work ( armored truck ) it is cheap to shoot and a great size. I would recommend the Glock 19 to any new shooter, I have never shot a CZ. Welcome to the forum. For concealed carry I also own a Glock 26 gen 4 which is slightly smaller than the 19, a lot depends on your clothing as far as what you can conceal. Start buying clothes a little bigger then you can carry just about any handgun you have.
    I commend you for starting off with training and renting different handguns before you put the cash on the counter, both are money well spent.

Good shooting and be safe.

(Allegheny County)

Glock 19 is a great carry / range / all purpose gun! I would recommend Glock to anyone. I own a 19 and a 17.

For cheap range time, get a .22 pistol also. You can pick up a used ruger very cheap. Or, for great training, get a .22 conversion kit for your glock 19. Then you get to practice with your carry gun, grip, trigger, etc but for pennies on the dollar.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. Glocks have the popularity they have for a reason, but they are still not for everybody ( I personally don't like them. I can't shoot them well) CZ makes great guns as well. They are not nearly as popular as Glocks but for someone who wants a decocker or manual safety they can be a worthy alternative.

I was born and raised in Lebanon Co., but reside in the Sunshine State, now. PA will always be home for me.

I think either one would be good for carry, though I prefer the CZ simply because it has the manual controls I like. I never liked Glocks for target shooting, but I don't like much past a 1911, nowadays, anyhow. With a fighting pistol like the G19, if a few land an inch from the X, it doesn't matter; a live, moving around bull's eye is hard to hit, even with the best target pistol. Lots of people swear by the G19. The PO7 is not near as popular and doesn't have the goodies you can get for a Glock, though it is rated very high. Basically comes down to which one you like and can shoot, better.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(York County)

The Glock 19 is a great all around gun and I think it would be an excellent choice. I have no experience with the CZ so can't comment on it.

For concealed carry you may want to consider the Glock 26 it has a shorter grip then the G19. This is the part that prints when CC. The G26 can use G19 mags (all Glock 9mm mags will fit actually) with a grip spacer it will feel the same as a G19 for target shooting. I have and carry a G26 and really like it.

If you have not already checked out the Ruger SR9c and Springfield XDM compact 9mm you should, both are really nice guns as well.

(Dauphin County)

It's going to boil down to if one gun can fill all the roles you intend to use it for. Did you try to imagine the 19 or the P07 in a concealed carry situation? Both are well regarded service pistols and could effectively serve as home defense weapons, but concealed carry with either is not that easy depending on the wardrobe choices you have to make and the places you need to carry in. Long duration concealed carry is usually more easily accomplished with compact single-stack guns. For example, I have a Walther PPQ for home defense, it's about the same size as the Glock 19, but I think it's too big for concealed carry. I have single stack 9mm and.380 pistols, a J-Frame revolver, and even a .22 mouse gun for CC depending on circumstances.

Good luck.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(York County)

Take a few moments to review the following information on the
    priorities in the selection of the Defensive Handgun. www.spw-duf.info/
    handgun.html, for Defensive Use of Firearms by S.P. Wenger. Good
    information for you to ponder.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Northampton County)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone. I am still looking around and when I get all of my finances in check I will be making my first handgun purchase. I'm still in college though, I'll be graduating this year and hoping I'll have an actual job by the time I graduate. Thanks everyone, really means a lot to me!

(Beaver County)

Welcome Eddie I have been carrying a 19 for 24 years almost daily and also compete with it, it has been very cheap insurance over the years protecting my family and clients. Be safe Mtn Jack
    In a world of compromise some men dont.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast