Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philly Concealed Carry no CCW

I am very close to purchasing my first hand gun. I own a business that is open very late (I'm here until 4:30am sometimes) in a borderline neighborhood.

My question is this: I will be applying for my CCW this week, even if I don't have a handgun yet, but if I get the gun before I am approved for a CCW, can I carry/holster my gun in my own store? I know that defense laws apply in your place of business, but would I get into any trouble carrying in my own business. Again, I am the operating and majority partner in this business, and would like to carry for my own piece of mind before I receive my CCW, I just don't want to do anything illegal. I've asked some police officers, and the answer I got was "I don't see why not". Honestly that's not really good enough for me. Does anyone know the laws around here, or what would be acceptable in court?

(Butler County)

Default Re: Philly Concealed Carry no CCW

IANAL but I think you are good to go in your place of business. If you even step foot outside though then you are in violation. Philly requires a LTCF even to carry openly outside your place of business or home.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

From the "source" at http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...1.006.000..HTM:
    § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
    carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
    firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
    of abode or fixed place of business,
    without a valid and
    lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
    of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a
    valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any
    vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or
    about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place
    of business
    , without a valid and lawfully issued license and
    has not committed any other criminal violation commits a
    misdemeanor of the first degree.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    If you even step foot outside though then you are in violation. Philly requires a LTCF even to carry openly outside your place of business or home.
    This is true about not being able to open carry in Philadelphia without a license if the place is on the public streets or the public property.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; November 14th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

(Chester County)

Are you intending on transporting the handgun in a vehicle between your residence and business?

Yes you can carry at your business but, without a carry license, it would entail the handgun remaining there when you leave.

Vehicular transporting is problematic without a carry license.
    IANAL

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Are you intending on transporting the handgun in a vehicle between your residence and business?

Yes you can carry at your business but, without a carry license, it would entail the handgun remaining there when you leave.

Vehicular transporting is problematic without a carry license.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms, or back to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer’s place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

IANAL

Edit: bolded the wrong section the first time.

Also, as far as State of Emergencies may go - http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...ing-emergency/

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is

So just put it in the carrying case and separate the ammo each time you leave home/work, and re-assemble once you get where you're going.
    Last edited by yeager484; November 14th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Buy your gun get professional instruction. learn safe handling and practice.
    Last edited by littlebluevette; November 14th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Most stores get robbed on the way in at openning or on the way out when closing. You will not be able to carry loaded to the car so your in trouble. Why not get a shotgun and leave it locked in the store at night.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms, or back to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer’s place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

IANAL

Edit: bolded the wrong section the first time.

Also, as far as State of Emergencies may go - http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...ing-emergency/

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is

So just put it in the carrying case and separate the ammo each time you leave home/work, and re-assemble once you get where you're going.
    I don't see your point.

Neither the bolded phrase of 6106 that you gave nor 6107 for SoE exemption applies to someone commuting between their home and business without a carry license.
    IANAL

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I've actually been shooting for some years now, and have received professional instruction, but because I was a New Jersey resident until earlier this year, I never purchased a handgun.

Now that I am the legal owner of a handgun I will take all of this into consideration, and I will remember to leave it locked up during a state of emergency (I was unaware of this one!)

I am applying for my CCW tomorrow, so hopefully I won't need to worry about all of the restrictions for more than a month or two. I plan to keep it at the store for now, so when I leave I will leave it in the safe, until the CCW is approved. And when I transport it to the store I will make sure to have the lock through it and keep the ammo separate.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast