Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default UPS complaint, shipping firearm parts

Last week I ordered a .243 barrel, action wrench and barrel nut wrench from Northland Shooters Supply so I can switch calibers on one of my Savages. Yesterday there was a note on the door from UPS that said someone had to be here to sign for it. I've ordered from them before and never had to sign for anything so I was a little pissed that I had to make arrangements to be here today waiting on UPS.

The regular driver shows up (nice guy, we B.S. about guns and stuff all the time) and asks if I bought a gun. I said no, it's just a barrel and a few tools. He said that he saw "22" on the packing slip and thought I bought a new gun (it was a 22" barrel). I told him I was a little pissed that the retailer shipped it with signature required so he couldn't just leave it on the porch and that's when he told me it wasn't shipped that way he thought it was a gun and can't leave a firearm without a signature.

I'm not going to file a complaint or anything because I like the guy and don't want him to get in trouble for doing what he thought was right but I don't see where it's any of his business trying to guess what's in my package and then requiring special delivery bullshit. Am I right to be pissed for him making me set aside time to be here and sign for the package or am I overreacting and he's just doing his job? Anyone else have to sign for just firearm parts?

(Centre County)

Default Re: UPS complaint, shipping firearm parts

As an FFL I get a lot of guns delivered to my place and unless it is specifically marked "Adult Signature Required" the delivery person can leave it by the door, inside the storm door, or wherever I have set it up with them. The delivery person should not be making up his or her own rules.

I might not do a formal complaint, but if you are on good terms with the guy then you might want to talk to him and explain that if it requires a signature then you know it and will schedule your day accordingly, but if it doesn't then he needs to just leave it in the designated drop off spot otherwise it makes it inconvenient for you.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

I am a little confused here

The regular driver shows up (nice guy, we B.S. about guns and stuff all the time) and asks if I bought a gun. I said no, it's just a barrel and a few tools. He said that he saw "22" on the packing slip and thought I bought a new gun (it was a 22" barrel).
    So the DRIVER caused the problem, not UPS itself?

I told him I was a little pissed that the retailer shipped it with signature required so he couldn't just leave it on the porch and that's when he told me it wasn't shipped that way he thought it was a gun and can't leave a firearm without a signature.
    So was the driver looking out for you? Was he concerned about possibly leaving a gun un-attended on your porch?

Though it wasn't shipped "adult signature" he knows you and due to the length and weight of the package he figures it may be a gun and does not want to knowingly violate policy and so he err's on the side of caution? Not only covering his ass, but yours as well. I honestly don't see the problem especially considering your history with him....."we B.S. about guns and stuff all the time".

While it wound up being a bit of a hassle, I would be glad that I have a regular UPS driver that has some scuples myself.

My .02 on the matter.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(York County)

Besides a slight inconvenience, I don't see the problem. He probably thought better than to leave what he thought was a firearm unattended at your door. Better safe than sorry. USPS does it to me sometimes, and it's annoying, especially since I'm out in the sticks.

(Cumberland County)

I'm always annoyed when I have to be there to sign for things, or even simply leave me signature on a slip... but he probably just didn't know any better and was just covering his ass. You can't blame people for doing what they THINK is right, whether it is or not. And it's just an innocent mistake. I'd let it go.

(Monroe County)

Lighten up Guy, the man was just looking out for ya,. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Its called "a human mistake"

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    I'm always annoyed when I have to be there to sign for things, or even simply leave me signature on a slip... but he probably just didn't know any better and was just covering his ass. You can't blame people for doing what they THINK is right, whether it is or not. And it's just an innocent mistake. I'd let it go.
    I disagree that he was just "covering his ass". Yes, he did think what was right. Basically, he made a judgement call. He wanted to be a responsible person. Heaven forbid some KID gets a hold of the gun and shoots himself. Civil/Criminal liability aside, who wants that on their conscience? Clearly, the OP believes that this judgement call was a bit much, since it was "extra" and caused him an inconvenience. I too, feel that this should be let go. It not as though he is trying to impose some sort of leftist "any way I can disrupt the flow of guns" mentality. In my book, it's a "Look man, I get gun PARTS shipped here all the time sooooo, if it doesn't require a signature, it's because it doesn't require a signature."
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Philadelphia County)

I too would prefer a delivery guy to err on the side of caution. It's more annoying to me when a delivery guy leaves a big package on my urban front step without even ringing the bell (which has happened.)

Since the guy knows you collect guns, per your chats, he was looking out for your interests.

Finally, wasn't there an option on the slip for you to simply sign it and leave it on your door, authorizing him to leave it if you weren't there on his next delivery attempt?

(Lancaster County)

When I drove for FedEx about ten years ago packages without specific instructions (ie adult signature required) could be left at driver discretion. One responder doesn't think the driver should be making those kind of decisions. B.S. He did what he thought was best and you don't need to "report" him. Since you admit he's a good guy it shouldn't of even crossed your mind. If you did I'm sure UPS policy is similiar to FedEx and nothing would come of it anyway since he did nothing wrong.